GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rose question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160397-rose-question.html)

[email protected] 20-06-2007 01:42 PM

Rose question

I have a new Phyllis Bide rose which is blooming nicely in its first
year. However, about halfway up the plant it has thrown out a long
soft shoot with reddish brown leaves, which looks more vigorous than
the rest of the plant. Is this normal growth or should I cut it?
Thanks for any advice

adder1969 20-06-2007 01:54 PM

Rose question

On Jun 20, 1:42 pm, "
wrote:
I have a new Phyllis Bide rose which is blooming nicely in its first
year. However, about halfway up the plant it has thrown out a long
soft shoot with reddish brown leaves, which looks more vigorous than
the rest of the plant. Is this normal growth or should I cut it?
Thanks for any advice

Normal and whether you want to cut it is up to you guess. Some I
leave and some I cut depending where they are.

Charlie Pridham 20-06-2007 03:32 PM

Rose question

"adder1969" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 20, 1:42 pm, "
wrote:
I have a new Phyllis Bide rose which is blooming nicely in its first
year. However, about halfway up the plant it has thrown out a long
soft shoot with reddish brown leaves, which looks more vigorous than
the rest of the plant. Is this normal growth or should I cut it?
Thanks for any advice

Normal and whether you want to cut it is up to you guess. Some I
leave and some I cut depending where they are.

I agree, if you want the new shoot it can pay to support it as they are
quite brittle to start with.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

[email protected] 20-06-2007 04:12 PM

Rose question

On 20 Jun, 15:32, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"adder1969" wrote in message

ups.com... On Jun 20, 1:42 pm, "
wrote:
I have a new Phyllis Bide rose which is blooming nicely in its first
year. However, about halfway up the plant it has thrown out a long
soft shoot with reddish brown leaves, which looks more vigorous than
the rest of the plant. Is this normal growth or should I cut it?
Thanks for any advice

Normal and whether you want to cut it is up to you guess. Some I
leave and some I cut depending where they are.

I agree, if you want the new shoot it can pay to support it as they are
quite brittle to start with.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Many thanks folks.

Sam 20-06-2007 08:41 PM

Rose question

wrote:
I have a new Phyllis Bide rose which is blooming nicely in its first
year. However, about halfway up the plant it has thrown out a long
soft shoot with reddish brown leaves, which looks more vigorous than
the rest of the plant. Is this normal growth or should I cut it?
Thanks for any advice

If it is below the graft then it is the stock and should be grubbed out,
otherwise the vigour will not reach the rose.
If it is above the graft then it is the scion, and should be cultivated.
Sam

K 20-06-2007 10:08 PM

Rose question

Sam writes
wrote:
I have a new Phyllis Bide rose which is blooming nicely in its first
year. However, about halfway up the plant it has thrown out a long
soft shoot with reddish brown leaves, which looks more vigorous than
the rest of the plant. Is this normal growth or should I cut it?
Thanks for any advice

If it is below the graft then it is the stock and should be grubbed out,
otherwise the vigour will not reach the rose.
If it is above the graft then it is the scion, and should be cultivated.

IME shoots from the stock tend to be green - they don't have the red
colour.

But you can usually tell from the leaves - usually more leaflets, and
smaller, if it's from the stock.

--
Kay