GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Removing bottom leaves on tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160423-removing-bottom-leaves-tomatoes.html)

Robert \(Plymouth\) 20-06-2007 09:45 PM

Removing bottom leaves on tomatoes

Anybody got any DOs or Don'ts on this please?

[email protected] 20-06-2007 09:57 PM

Removing bottom leaves on tomatoes

On Jun 20, 9:45 pm, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
anonymity.com wrote:
Anybody got any DOs or Don'ts on this please?

I do it when three trusses have set, this may or may not be correct
but I get some good tomatoes every year.

Judith

®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ 20-06-2007 11:04 PM

Removing bottom leaves on tomatoes

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:45:13 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote and included this (or some
of this):

Anybody got any DOs or Don'ts on this please?

If they touch the ground or if they start to discolour, snap them off.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

steve auvache 21-06-2007 03:17 AM

Removing bottom leaves on tomatoes

In article , Robert (Plymouth)
writes
Anybody got any DOs or Don'ts on this please?

It is said, the food the leaves produce is sent downwards and from this
you can assume it is safe, once the fruit has set, to remove any leaves
growing *below* the lowest truss on the plant as they serve no real
purpose. This is the conventional wisdom handed down by wise old
codgers on the allotments over the years. I am fairly convinced it is
not a bad idea and do this very thing.

There is also a school of thought which is a tad more extreme and
recommends removal of a great deal more. Taking off leaves up to two
trusses *above* the currently developing truss in fact. Research papers
aimed at the commercial grower and published on the net seem to support
this view and suggest that removal of the correct leaves at the correct
time will get you a higher overall yield but there will be some loss of
sweetness and flavour. I am experimenting with this very thing this
year to find out, ask again in the autumn.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice it seems. I'll take quality
over quantity any time.

As others have said if a leaf is damaged or showing signs of disease
take it off regardless of the above.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features

[email protected] 21-06-2007 08:29 AM

Removing bottom leaves on tomatoes

anonymity.com wrote:
Anybody got any DOs or Don'ts on this please?

I do it when three trusses have set, this may or may not be correct
but I get some good tomatoes every year.

Judith

I don't do it at all - but I get good tomatoes every year !!

Robert \(Plymouth\) 21-06-2007 04:28 PM

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
: Anybody got any DOs or Don'ts on this please?

thanks for the replies