GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ladybirds? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160425-ladybirds.html)

Frank Booth Snr 20-06-2007 11:43 PM

Ladybirds?

Where have all the ladybirds gone to this year? So far I haven't seen a
single one. Meanwhile the greenfly levels are a lot higher than normal.

R[_4_] 21-06-2007 06:56 AM

Ladybirds?

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
Where have all the ladybirds gone to this year? So far I haven't seen a
single one. Meanwhile the greenfly levels are a lot higher than normal.

Have they all flown "home" to put out the fire?

Robert \(Plymouth\) 21-06-2007 08:36 AM

Ladybirds?

Frank Booth Snr wrote:
: Where have all the ladybirds gone to this year? So far I haven't seen
: a single one. Meanwhile the greenfly levels are a lot higher than
: normal.

They are all on my allotment

Charlie Pridham 21-06-2007 08:40 AM

Ladybirds?

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
Where have all the ladybirds gone to this year? So far I haven't seen a
single one. Meanwhile the greenfly levels are a lot higher than normal.

Hardly seen a greenfly this year!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

shazzbat 21-06-2007 08:48 AM

Ladybirds?

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message
Frank Booth Snr wrote:
: Where have all the ladybirds gone to this year? So far I haven't seen
: a single one. Meanwhile the greenfly levels are a lot higher than
: normal.

They are all on my allotment

Not all they're not. Quite a goodly number are on mine. Not enough of
course........

Steve

skrammer 21-06-2007 08:54 AM

It must depend on where you are and the food available for them. Here near Warwick on my allotment there are loads of ladybirds. Nettles are great for ladybirds, I let a few grow amongst the veg and have a patch of nettles at the end of the allotment. Marigolds are also good at attracting hoverflies which keep down the greenfly.

Robert \(Plymouth\) 21-06-2007 09:30 AM

Ladybirds?

Charlie Pridham wrote:
: "Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
: ...
:: Where have all the ladybirds gone to this year? So far I haven't
:: seen a single one. Meanwhile the greenfly levels are a lot higher
:: than normal.
:
: Hardly seen a greenfly this year!

Had masses on the broad bean tops this year. Never had it before, it's
usually a few blackfly

Alan McKenzie 21-06-2007 11:48 AM

Ladybirds?

Loads on my lotty but still have lots of blackfly on my broad beans - which
by the way have been flattered by the torrential thunderstorm of 2 days ago.

Frank Booth Snr 21-06-2007 09:43 PM

Ladybirds?

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message

Where have all the ladybirds gone to this year? So far I haven't seen a
single one. Meanwhile the greenfly levels are a lot higher than normal.

Hardly seen a greenfly this year!

Really? I don't even need to look at my plants. Right now there's five
of them on my shirt.

Muddymike 21-06-2007 11:00 PM

Ladybirds?

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message

Where have all the ladybirds gone to this year? So far I haven't seen a
single one. Meanwhile the greenfly levels are a lot higher than normal.

Hardly seen a greenfly this year!

Really? I don't even need to look at my plants. Right now there's five of
them on my shirt.

Same here, ladybirds everywhere.

Mike