Old 21-06-2007, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default privacy screening

Im a little suck with this one so any help would be useful.

Bit of background.

I have one problem neighbour which I suppose over 30 years and bordering 5
properties isnt too bad, we only share a 10 foot segment of fence at the
bottom of our garden with them. Yesterday the chap decides to do some
pruning of the plants in my garden that he can reach, long story short, I've
lost all the privacy in garden and my living room. There were 2 leylandii
which are now shaved to the trunk and an old fashioned mock orange from back
when they were large very highly scented flowers thats hes reduced to bare
stems around 5 foot high this had particular sentimental value.

I have two questions.

Is there anything I can do at the moment that will allow light in so the
tree can thicken up on this side where he cant reach but at the same time
prevent the neighbours looking directly into and therefore through our
entire house Is there tree coloured fleece or something I can weave in
whats left of the trees?

Will this have killed my mock orange - I've been trying for years to either
get a cutting to strike or a layering to take. Each time Ive ended up with
no root growth at all and dead twig. I would have moved it to another part
of the garden but didnt want to risk killing it.

Im open to suggestions. .... moving house is unfortunately not an option.

Lard.

Old 21-06-2007, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lardman" wrote in message
[...]

Should be able to make a short term screen using something like Bamboo
screen mats which they sell rolls of various heights, it won't last forever
but doesn't look too bad!
Your Philadelphus should recover but it must have been just coming into
flower so I can imagine it took more than the one bottle to calm down :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-06-2007, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/6/07 15:08, in article ,
"Lardman" wrote:

Im a little suck with this one so any help would be useful.

Bit of background.

I have one problem neighbour which I suppose over 30 years and bordering 5
properties isnt too bad, we only share a 10 foot segment of fence at the
bottom of our garden with them. Yesterday the chap decides to do some
pruning of the plants in my garden that he can reach, long story short, I've
lost all the privacy in garden and my living room. There were 2 leylandii
which are now shaved to the trunk and an old fashioned mock orange from back
when they were large very highly scented flowers thats hes reduced to bare
stems around 5 foot high this had particular sentimental value.

I doubt the lelylandii will recover if he's cut into old wood. They don't
sprout again. How tall were they? I ask because while his actions are
absolutely unwarranted, he might have a legitimate grievance if the trees
took light from him. Did he ever ask you to trim them and you refused to do
so? If so, and even if not - to restore neighbourly good relations how
about yanking out what remains if the leylandii (if possible) and putting in
some more attractive evergreens, such as e.g. Camellias or Escallonia (what
you grow will depend on where you live, of course) What ever you put in,
you can grow e.g. Clematis through to give flowers later in the year after
the main shrub has finished flowering.

I have two questions.

Is there anything I can do at the moment that will allow light in so the
tree can thicken up on this side where he cant reach but at the same time
prevent the neighbours looking directly into and therefore through our
entire house Is there tree coloured fleece or something I can weave in
whats left of the trees?

As Charlie said, you can use bamboo screening but there is the danger the
letlandii won't grow again and you will always have bare and ugly trunks
sticking up in the air.

Will this have killed my mock orange - I've been trying for years to either
get a cutting to strike or a layering to take. Each time Ive ended up with
no root growth at all and dead twig. I would have moved it to another part
of the garden but didnt want to risk killing it.

Im open to suggestions. .... moving house is unfortunately not an option.

Depends how far down he's cut it. If it's been left with enough stem to
make new shoots and it sounds as if it has, it should be okay. But if your
Philadelphus has been *reduced* to 5' tall, what was it before and, as I
said, was he objecting to loss of light into his garden? 2 leylandii and one
Philadelphus in 10' sounds like rather a lot! If so, you need to work out
some compromise but you need to tell him that his actions amount to trespass
and that he must never, ever interfere in your garden again.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-06-2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Lardman" wrote in message
Im a little suck with this one so any help would be useful.

Snip

Should be able to make a short term screen using something like Bamboo
screen mats which they sell rolls of various heights, it won't last
forever
but doesn't look too bad!

Im not sure I could unroll a mat inside the tree and Im reluctant to remove
any more branches- although I may be able to fix strips up. Im pretty sure
this side of the tree will recover so it only needs to last a season or 2.

Your Philadelphus should recover but it must have been just coming into
flower so I can imagine it took more than the one bottle to calm down :~)

I wasnt too impressed to say the least. It had just about started to drop
flowers all the wet weather lately hasnt been too good for it. Would it be
best to leave it well alone to recover or try and move it or take a
cutting - Id rather not come home from work to find it reduced to a 3 foot
twig.

Lard

Old 21-06-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

.he might have a legitimate
grievance if the trees took light from him.

Legitimate grievance or not, trespass & criminal damage are not justified.

Send him a solicitors letter telling him you intend to replace the ruined
plants with mature specimens and will send him the bill.

pk

Old 21-06-2007, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Lardman writes
[...]

I sympathise. New neighbour has done the same to us over a 150 ft
length. OK, our privacy and security barrier shouldn't have been on
their side, but it would have been polite to have told us what they
intended.

I think the first thing you need to do is erect a fence on the boundary
so that he can't reach over to prune. Looking at it from his side, he's
probably fed up of growth from your side over his garden, and was trying
to lengthen the gaps between his prunings, so a fence would also help to
prevent growth on his side.

A fence won't allow light to your side of the leylandii, but it will
help restore your privacy and help prevent future incidents.

And remember, he's now lost some of his privacy. Can you spend a lot of
time until you get things sorted pottering around that bit of the
boundary (and just happening to look in his direction)? ;-)

Will this have killed my mock orange - I've been trying for years to either
get a cutting to strike or a layering to take.

The usually recommendation is to cut it back quite heavily after
flowering. Otoh, if cutting a mock orange (or any shrub) back really
heavily, it's suggested you spread it over a number of years. But I
think you'll be OK. The leylandii will be more upset than the mock
orange (but only to the extent that they won't grow back at the rear).

--
Kay
Old 21-06-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 21/6/07 15:08, in article
,
"Lardman" wrote:

SNIP

I doubt the lelylandii will recover if he's cut into old wood. They don't
sprout again.

The back of the tree is a complete loss hes basically cut to the trunk -
which seems pointless to me as this side will eventually grow back and
thicken but they'll have nothing but trunk and stumps.

How tall were they?

13' - trimmed twice a year to keep them at that height.They form a hedge
across the bottom of the garden which has been there 30years, they predate
the building of their house and only the bottom left corner 10' boundry is
shared with this person.

I ask because while his actions are
absolutely unwarranted, he might have a legitimate grievance if the trees
took light from him. Did he ever ask you to trim them and you refused to
do
so?

I did just type out a heap of text explaining the position and reasoning for
the hedge and its height but Im reluctant to enter into the leylandii good/
bad debate. By all accounts no he has no legitimate or legal grievance - the
trees block very little light from his garden, to the extent that the high
hedge act allows them to be another 8' before reaching the action height.
They are that height as it is the *minimum* I can have and leave the bedroom
windows screened - last time they werent a telescope was pointed at them.

If so, and even if not - to restore neighbourly good relations how
about yanking out what remains if the leylandii (if possible) and putting
in
some more attractive evergreens, such as e.g. Camellias or Escallonia
(what
you grow will depend on where you live, of course)
What ever you put in,
you can grow e.g. Clematis through to give flowers later in the year after
the main shrub has finished flowering.

Id love to - but they wouldnt give me the cover the leylandii do at a higher
level - and Im not getting any younger...

Depends how far down he's cut it. If it's been left with enough stem to
make new shoots and it sounds as if it has, it should be okay. But if
your
Philadelphus has been *reduced* to 5' tall, what was it before and, as I
said, was he objecting to loss of light into his garden? 2 leylandii and
one
Philadelphus in 10' sounds like rather a lot!

There's plenty of stem but the lack of leaves gave me concern - Will there
be enough energy left to sprout without any leaves at all? the Philadephus
?? (--- you learn something new each day dont you) was throughout the
leylandii as you suggest a clematis might be, it too had been there 30 years
and had grown in and around the trees. Its a far different plant to the foot
tall bushes I see in the garden centre. The smell is so pungent, of a calm
summers evening you could smell it 30' away.

If so, you need to work out
some compromise but you need to tell him that his actions amount to
trespass
and that he must never, ever interfere in your garden again.

He's well aware of this - I've spoken to him about it before and also
exchanged letters over it. But as he rightly said to his wife "Its cut now
what are they going to do about it". He has no interest in compromise or
neighbourly relations this is just the lastest problem we've had with them.

Lard

Old 21-06-2007, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:12:14 +0100, K wrote:

Snip

And remember, he's now lost some of his privacy. Can you spend a lot of
time until you get things sorted pottering around that bit of the
boundary (and just happening to look in his direction)? ;-)

I was thinking more along the lines of a deckchair and a pair of
binoculars.
Position the deckchair so it can be clearly seen by the offending neighbour
and spend a pleasant Sunday afternoon looking at your "neighbour" through
the binoculars.
You may find a screen erected for free ;o).

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!
Old 21-06-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Lardman writes
Im a little suck with this one so any help would be useful.

I sympathise. New neighbour has done the same to us over a 150 ft length.
OK, our privacy and security barrier shouldn't have been on their side,
but it would have been polite to have told us what they intended.

It amazing just how exposed it makes you feel isnt it - I'd say there was no
more than 1-2 foot of tree growth at the back but It really did fill things
out.

I think the first thing you need to do is erect a fence on the boundary so
that he can't reach over to prune. Looking at it from his side, he's
probably fed up of growth from your side over his garden, and was trying
to lengthen the gaps between his prunings, so a fence would also help to
prevent growth on his side.

There was already one there -This caused another problem a while back.
although as they are higher than us anyone taller than 4 foot can look right
over it.

And remember, he's now lost some of his privacy. Can you spend a lot of
time until you get things sorted pottering around that bit of the boundary
(and just happening to look in his direction)? ;-)

Unfortunaltely they are not of an age where peace and privacy are an issue.

The usually recommendation is to cut it back quite heavily after
flowering. Otoh, if cutting a mock orange (or any shrub) back really
heavily, it's suggested you spread it over a number of years. But I think
you'll be OK.

Im getting that feeling from the group that it actually looks worse than it
is..

Lard.

Old 21-06-2007, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wane Smooth" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:12:14 +0100, K wrote:

Snip

And remember, he's now lost some of his privacy. Can you spend a lot of
time until you get things sorted pottering around that bit of the
boundary (and just happening to look in his direction)? ;-)

I was thinking more along the lines of a deckchair and a pair of
binoculars.
Position the deckchair so it can be clearly seen by the offending
neighbour
and spend a pleasant Sunday afternoon looking at your "neighbour" through
the binoculars.
You may find a screen erected for free ;o).

Or a knock at the door and the night in the cells.

Lard.

Old 21-06-2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lardman wrote:

He's well aware of this - I've spoken to him about it before and also
exchanged letters over it. But as he rightly said to his wife "Its
cut now what are they going to do about it". He has no interest in
compromise or neighbourly relations this is just the lastest problem
we've had with them.

Clearly there is no love to be lost, he has trespassed and damaged your
property, speak to your lawyer tomorrow! At the very least you can scare 3
shades of **** out of him!

pk

Old 22-06-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/6/07 22:56, in article , "p.k."
wrote:

Lardman wrote:

He's well aware of this - I've spoken to him about it before and also
exchanged letters over it. But as he rightly said to his wife "Its
cut now what are they going to do about it". He has no interest in
compromise or neighbourly relations this is just the lastest problem
we've had with them.

Clearly there is no love to be lost, he has trespassed and damaged your
property, speak to your lawyer tomorrow! At the very least you can scare 3
shades of **** out of him!

pk

He sounds an absolute nightmare neighbour and this has obviously distressed
you very much - and not at all surprisingly. The telescope business is
simply dreadful and he sounds not the full shilling!
If you've tried every other avenue, I agree that a lawyer is your only
course of action now. He has destroyed/damaged your property without
permission and I think you should look quite seriously at suing him. At the
very least, a lawyer's letter threatening such action in future might make
him sit up a bit but it is of course, an expensive solution. Is there a
possibility you could get other neighbours he's affected to join you in
this? I suggest this because in the last village I lived in, there was just
such a woman - quite bonkers really - who annoyed all around her so much by
deliberately blocking drains etc., that they all clubbed together and got a
court injunction against her.
As to the plants damaged, he gets the naked and ugly side of the leylandii,
so that is genuinely cutting off his nose to spite his face. With the
Philadelphus, I think the only answer is to wait and see but I think there's
definitely hope there.