GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pesky birds and my precious cherries! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160475-pesky-birds-my-precious-cherries.html)

[email protected] 22-06-2007 12:56 PM

Pesky birds and my precious cherries!

Does anyone out there know how I can protect my precious cherries from
avaricious blackbirds. Now that they are beginning to ripen, the
whole tree is crowded with blackbirds. I do give the birds plenty of
other food to eat but they seem hell-bent on pinching my cherries.

The tree is too big to net and I wonder if anyone has some brilliant
ideas on what I can do to frighten them away, short of buying a
shotgun!

Many thanks.
Lynne

adder1969 22-06-2007 01:32 PM

On Jun 22, 12:56 pm, wrote:
Does anyone out there know how I can protect my precious cherries from
avaricious blackbirds. Now that they are beginning to ripen, the
whole tree is crowded with blackbirds. I do give the birds plenty of
other food to eat but they seem hell-bent on pinching my cherries.

The tree is too big to net and I wonder if anyone has some brilliant
ideas on what I can do to frighten them away, short of buying a
shotgun!

....and can anyone tell me how to stop them leaving the pips all over
my patio?

Pinetree 22-06-2007 11:57 PM

Pesky birds and my precious cherries!

I string old C-D discs across my fruit bushes (just when there's fruit) with
good success, so it might just work on your tree. Mind you, I don't have
neighbours, so they might just complain about your flashing tree....
Pinetree.

oups.com...

MikeCT 24-06-2007 02:56 PM

"Pinetree" wrote:
I string old C-D discs across my fruit bushes (just when there's fruit)
with good success, so it might just work on your tree. Mind you, I
don't have neighbours, so they might just complain about your
flashing tree....
---

Tiscali start-up discs work wonders too, at least they appear to give our
resident wood pigeons something to think about.

MikeCT