Old 23-06-2007, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Actinidia cuttings advice .

Hi, I'm moving house shortly and want to take cuttings from my
Actinidia Kolmikta plant, I have tried and failed a couple of weeks
ago although I have been succesfull in the past with the same plant
and method. Are gel pots worth a look at? I have used perlite/
multicompost mix, cuttings have been taken below a leaf node of
healthy stock although not bagged. any advice welcome. Mike.
Peterborough.

Old 24-06-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om,
BoroBoy writes
Hi, I'm moving house shortly and want to take cuttings from my
Actinidia Kolmikta plant, I have tried and failed a couple of weeks
ago although I have been succesfull in the past with the same plant
and method. Are gel pots worth a look at? I have used perlite/
multicompost mix, cuttings have been taken below a leaf node of
healthy stock although not bagged. any advice welcome. Mike.
Peterborough.

Just an idea but why not dig it up and pot it then replant space with
different plant?

If not an option I'd take loads of cuttings from heeled ones, softwood,
hard wood and semi ripe. Wouldn't use multipurpose unless mixed quite a
bit with sharp sand and or vermiculite.
Try keeping some of the softwood cuttings indoors and perhaps bag
others. Wouldn't think gel would be any more successful.

However there might be some difficulty in taking cuttings from this
plant
see

http://www.ukorchidforum.com/viewtop...8be3943b315b6c
93b8640f03535

(found with Google)

janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 24-06-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 24, 9:48 pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
If not an option I'd take loads of cuttings from heeled ones, softwood,
hard wood and semi ripe. Wouldn't use multipurpose unless mixed quite a
bit with sharp sand and or vermiculite.
Try keeping some of the softwood cuttings indoors and perhaps bag
others. Wouldn't think gel would be any more successful.

You are queen of the cuttings Janet! Everything you sent me has
taken. Thanks for the newsletter I got yesterday.

Judith

Old 25-06-2007, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
" writes

You are queen of the cuttings Janet! Everything you sent me has
taken. Thanks for the newsletter I got yesterday.

Judith

Oh I thought you'd like a copy as it tells you about the various gardens
the Club visited, you can add them to your list of where to go

Sorry, forgot to send second lot of plants the other week, things got in
the way. Must try and do a small parcel for you again next week when I
send Pam her Dahlia.
With all this wet weather, (which I love) it's a good job we didn't have
the garden party after all !

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 25-06-2007, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoroBoy" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi, I'm moving house shortly and want to take cuttings from my
Actinidia Kolmikta plant, I have tried and failed a couple of weeks
ago although I have been succesfull in the past with the same plant
and method. Are gel pots worth a look at? I have used perlite/
multicompost mix, cuttings have been taken below a leaf node of
healthy stock although not bagged. any advice welcome. Mike.
Peterborough.

Don't know that it helps you, but the best method for this plant is leaf bud
cuttings very early in the season from plants that are kept cut back and
housed under glass. But as with most plants that does not mean to say other
methods/timings won't work!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-06-2007, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

Don't know that it helps you, but the best method for this plant is leaf bud
cuttings very early in the season from plants that are kept cut back and
housed under glass. But as with most plants that does not mean to say other
methods/timings won't work!

Charlie I've not tried to take many leaf bud cuttings, would you use
hormone rooting powder with them, keep them dry or damp/misted. What
medium would you think would be best for such cuttings?

Any other plants that might need this type of propagation?

janet
Old 25-06-2007, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 25, 12:34 am, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Sorry, forgot to send second lot of plants the other week, things got in
the way. Must try and do a small parcel for you again next week when I
send Pam her Dahlia.

With all this wet weather, (which I love) it's a good job we didn't have
the garden party after all !

Don't worry about the plants Janet as we are hoping to move house,
when we do, I will be begging you for some.

I am going to the Royal Norfolk Show on Wednesday. usually the
decision is do I wear a flimsy dress because of the heat, this year it
will be do I wear rubber boots!!

Judith

Old 26-06-2007, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

Don't know that it helps you, but the best method for this plant is leaf

bud
cuttings very early in the season from plants that are kept cut back and
housed under glass. But as with most plants that does not mean to say

other
methods/timings won't work!

Charlie I've not tried to take many leaf bud cuttings, would you use
hormone rooting powder with them, keep them dry or damp/misted. What
medium would you think would be best for such cuttings?

Any other plants that might need this type of propagation?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

This particular plant is best under mist but many others do well under white
polythene with bottom heat.
I use hormone powder but mainly as a fungicide, I am not convinced you
actually get much benefit from the hormone (especially as most of use are
not using it fresh!)
What you use at the roots seems not so important but I use a 2 parts peat 1
part perlite mix, but used to use 2 parts peat 1 part grit, and have tried
perlite and vermiculite but could not tell how wet it was!
I always wet the cuttings in with a spray containing a fungicide for
botrytis

Old 26-06-2007, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 25/6/07 22:17, in article
,
" wrote:

On Jun 25, 12:34 am, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Sorry, forgot to send second lot of plants the other week, things got

in
the way. Must try and do a small parcel for you again next week when I
send Pam her Dahlia.

With all this wet weather, (which I love) it's a good job we didn't

have
the garden party after all !

Don't worry about the plants Janet as we are hoping to move house,
when we do, I will be begging you for some.

How limited is your planting because of the winter temps?

I am going to the Royal Norfolk Show on Wednesday. usually the
decision is do I wear a flimsy dress because of the heat, this year it
will be do I wear rubber boots!!

Oh lor'! Did you see the pics of Glastonbury? I'd pay the entry price

NOT
to attend!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

We were just south of there at "Axe vale festival of mud", staying in a
small tent! spent 3 days stood in 6" of water in wellies (did leave the dog
at home this year) Public were very cheerful. On the way home I uttered the
fatal words "there can't be much worse than that" Monday proved me wrong, I
could see the water on my lawn, which considering the garden is at 30
degrees says a lot about the speed of arrival!!!

Old 26-06-2007, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/6/07 08:46, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 25/6/07 22:17, in article
,
" wrote:

[...]

We've been so lucky here. Yes, the steps from the car park down to the tea
room did turn into a waterfall - very pretty actually! - and yes, water was
running down the paths of the nursery. But being surrounded by farmland did
mean that most of the rain got absorbed, one way or another. I hope the
high wind doesn't return because that's always dangerous after so much rain.

Old 26-06-2007, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 26, 10:04 am, Sacha wrote:

We've been so lucky here. Yes, the steps from the car park down to the tea
room did turn into a waterfall - very pretty actually! - and yes, water was
running down the paths of the nursery. But being surrounded by farmland did
mean that most of the rain got absorbed, one way or another. I hope the
high wind doesn't return because that's always dangerous after so much rain.

We had the high wind here last night, I was glad that our tall trees
had been "surgeried" the year before. When I came home last night, I
could see, in the car headlights, the run off on the roads,
partiularly around Easton Horticultural College where the soil is
sandy, that half the field that the students had prepared a few days
ago, had flooded onto the road as it is on a steep hill.

Just now, the sky is lowering, the wind is still blowing but not gale
force.

Everyone take care on the roads.

Judith

Old 26-06-2007, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 25, 11:05 pm, Sacha wrote:

How limited is your planting because of the winter temps?

Back garden, pretty limited, I have even lost a bay there!!

I am going to the Royal Norfolk Show on Wednesday. usually the
decision is do I wear a flimsy dress because of the heat, this year it
will be do I wear rubber boots!!

Oh lor'! Did you see the pics of Glastonbury? I'd pay the entry price NOT
to attend!

I remember one year the mud was so bad at the Show that the late Queen
Mother was in gumboots, moi? I thought I would be so very chic, I was
until I left a shoe in the mud and had to bend down and tug it out.

Judith