GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Violet tinged brassica leaves? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160683-violet-tinged-brassica-leaves.html)

Steve Harris 24-06-2007 11:57 AM

Violet tinged brassica leaves?

Several of my brassicas (Cauliflower, Turnip, Kohl Rabi) have some
leaves with bright violent patches, see:

http://www.netservs.fsnet.co.uk/g/vi..._brassicas.jpg

I can't think it's a nutrient problem, the plot was spread with garden
compost last winter and they've been fed poultry manure pellets.

I've grown all these before but they normally stay a boring green.
Should I be worried?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Russel Sprout 24-06-2007 12:12 PM

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Several of my brassicas (Cauliflower, Turnip, Kohl Rabi) have some
leaves with bright violent patches, see:

http://www.netservs.fsnet.co.uk/g/vi..._brassicas.jpg

I can't think it's a nutrient problem, the plot was spread with garden
compost last winter and they've been fed poultry manure pellets.

I've grown all these before but they normally stay a boring green.
Should I be worried?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Check for root fly lavae.

Steve Harris 24-06-2007 03:06 PM

Violet tinged brassica leaves?

In article ,
(Russel Sprout) wrote:

Check for root fly lavae.

Thanks for the suggestion. No sign and the roots appear healthy. The
Kohl Rabi in particular are thriving on whatever this is.

Rod 24-06-2007 06:34 PM

Violet tinged brassica leaves?

On 24 Jun, 15:06, (Steve Harris) wrote:
In article ,

(Russel Sprout) wrote:
Check for root fly lavae.

Thanks for the suggestion. No sign and the roots appear healthy. The
Kohl Rabi in particular are thriving on whatever this is.

A useful bit of gardening software athttp://www.netservs.com/garden/

In the absence of root fly, this looks like the plants have had a
severe check in growth, kept too long in plugs? allowed to get dry and
hot? insufficient or erratic watering after planting? kept in a hot
greenhouse and planted out without any hardening off period? By
watering I mean thre whole volume of soil in which you hope the roots
will grow - not just a bit around where the roots are now. Given
suitable conditions the roots will go much further than most people
expect.