GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Club Root - controlled (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160727-club-root-controlled.html)

Bertie Doe 25-06-2007 11:41 AM

Club Root - controlled

I'm about to get a delivery of 100 plugs of cauliflower and cabbage, but my
normal supplier of CR Control, say it's now banned by the Gov.

He suggests using collars, which stops the maggots reaching down into the
roots - but is there an alternative on-line. I'd prefer to use a dip
treatment. I can't imagine farmers putting collars on fields of brassicas.

Bertie

Bob Hobden 25-06-2007 12:44 PM

Club Root - controlled

"Bertie Doe" wrote ...
I'm about to get a delivery of 100 plugs of cauliflower and cabbage, but
my normal supplier of CR Control, say it's now banned by the Gov.

He suggests using collars, which stops the maggots reaching down into the
roots - but is there an alternative on-line. I'd prefer to use a dip
treatment. I can't imagine farmers putting collars on fields of brassicas.

The collars only work on Cabbage Root Fly.
Club Root is a disease which remains in the soil and reinfects young plants.
A high pH helps which is why you lime a brassica bed, and growing them in
pots until quite large before planting out helps too.
An old gardener I knew used to disinfect, what was to be his brassica bed,
during winter with Armillatox (or was it Jeys). He never had Club Root on
his brassicas or White Rot on his onions.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Robert \(Plymouth\) 25-06-2007 01:54 PM

Club Root - controlled

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
:
: "Bertie Doe" wrote ...
[...]
: --
: Regards
: Bob Hobden
: 17mls W. of London.UK
:
I bring the plants on from seed in fresh compost and put garden lime in the
planting hole. Works mostly. As Bob says, your collars are for cabbage root
fly which is very prevalent this season

Bertie Doe 25-06-2007 09:43 PM

Club Root - controlled

Thanks guys, the soil here in Cornwall is neutral to acidic, so I'll add
lime and see if this combats the posibility of club root. I'll google around
and see if there are any on-line suppliers of cheap collars for the CRF
maggots, thanks again.

Bertie

Bertie Doe 26-06-2007 08:41 AM

Club Root - controlled

"kittykat8" wrote in message
where in cornwall are you I am in camborne

marion

Twixt Liskeard and St. Cleer.

BD