Old 25-06-2007, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea question

Hello. I'm a new gardener, and my question must be so basic that
even the basic gardening books can't seem to help me!

I bought a hydrangea last year and put it in a large pot.
This year I bought another one, but I've noticed that
the new one has deep green leaves and my old one looks
anaemic by comparison as the leaves are very pale green.

Am I supposed to re-pot them each year? Is that the problem?
Or am I underwatering, or underfeeding? Or what am I doing
wrong? Why has my old plant turned so pale?

Thanks for anyone kind enough to answer.

--
***Emma***
http://www.findmadeleine.com/
Old 25-06-2007, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emma" wrote in message
Hello. I'm a new gardener, and my question must be so basic that
even the basic gardening books can't seem to help me!

I bought a hydrangea last year and put it in a large pot.
This year I bought another one, but I've noticed that
the new one has deep green leaves and my old one looks
anaemic by comparison as the leaves are very pale green.

Sounds like an iron deficiency. I bought some 'Sequestrane' sachets for my
Azaleas, it took about a month to work. Quoting from the pack :-
"Iron deficiency results in pale yellow leaves, poor growth and
flowers",etc.
"One application last all season"
"Roses, Hydrangeas, Currants etc - 1 sachet in 4.5 litres of water per
plant"
Under "Pot plants - 1 sachet per 3.5 litres, apply as when watering
normally"

I suspect your earlier potted Hydrangea, has exhausted all the iron in the
soil.

Bertie

Old 25-06-2007, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bertie Doe says...

"Emma" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, that's very helpful. I'll get some Sequestrane.
Thank you so much.

--
***Emma***
http://www.findmadeleine.com/
Old 26-06-2007, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emma
Emma ot might need a general feed also
Clifford

Old 27-06-2007, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
cliff_the_gardener says...

Emma
Emma ot might need a general feed also
Clifford

OK. Thank you. I'll do that as well.

How long can I leave it in its original
pot? What I mean is, do I need to change
the earth sometimes? I was thinking that
the original earth must be of poor quality
by now.
Or will the feeding take care of everything?

--
***Emma***
http://www.findmadeleine.com/

Hydrangea pruning question (yet another one) dgk United Kingdom 1 12-07-2005 10:06 AM
Hydrangea clusters question [email protected] Gardening 0 01-06-2005 06:06 AM
Hydrangea colour question Graham Dixon United Kingdom 5 08-07-2004 01:03 PM
Hydrangea question Mvkehoe Gardening 3 15-05-2003 02:32 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM