Old 25-06-2007, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I make my own bark chips?

I live in a flat and there's a huge tree in the back garden which we all
want to get rid of.

We also want to make one side of the communal back garden a bit nicer as
it's an overgrown mess at the moment and we're talking about putting down
plastic sheeting to suppress the weeds then some bark chips and finally
tables, seating, maybe a BBQ etc

If I can find someone to take down the tree safely is there any reason why I
couldn't just hire a chipper and use the tree to make the bark chips we
need? If so, can I chip the whole tree and use it or just the bark? Sorry
if this is a dumb question!

Old 25-06-2007, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Maureen

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:51:00 GMT, "Maureen Patterson"
wrote:

I live in a flat and there's a huge tree in the back garden which we all
want to get rid of.

We also want to make one side of the communal back garden a bit nicer as
it's an overgrown mess at the moment and we're talking about putting down
plastic sheeting to suppress the weeds then some bark chips and finally
tables, seating, maybe a BBQ etc

If I can find someone to take down the tree safely is there any reason why I
couldn't just hire a chipper and use the tree to make the bark chips we
need? If so, can I chip the whole tree and use it or just the bark? Sorry
if this is a dumb question!

Probably your best bet is to find a company that will fell the tree
_and_ do the chipping for you.

A professional chipping machine will handle branches up to four - six
inches diameter - but it's a dangerous thing and operators need to be
properly trained and using the correct safety gear.

Don't know what sort of tree it is - but you will probably find
somebody local who will be pleased to take any larger logs off your
hands for firewood.

You will end up with a large heap of chippings - some from bark and
some from the wood in the branches. We had a dozen or so Spruces taken
out earlier in the year - and everything that was too small for logs
went through the tree surgeon's giant chipper. We've used the
chippings successfully for paths & ground cover.

Hope this helps
Adrian
Old 25-06-2007, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
You will end up with a large heap of chippings - some from bark and
some from the wood in the branches. We had a dozen or so Spruces taken
out earlier in the year - and everything that was too small for logs
went through the tree surgeon's giant chipper. We've used the
chippings successfully for paths & ground cover.

Hope this helps
Adrian

not a dumb question at all, we all have to start somewhere :-) good plan to
get the professionals in to deal with the tree, much safer, the chippings
will be brilly, I have done this and they are excellent for all sorts of
things just like Adrian has said.
good luck

kate

Old 25-06-2007, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote

snip
You will end up with a large heap of chippings - some from bark and
some from the wood in the branches. We had a dozen or so Spruces taken
out earlier in the year - and everything that was too small for logs
went through the tree surgeon's giant chipper. We've used the
chippings successfully for paths & ground cover.

Hope this helps
Adrian

not a dumb question at all, we all have to start somewhere :-) good plan
to get the professionals in to deal with the tree, much safer, the
chippings will be brilly, I have done this and they are excellent for all
sorts of things just like Adrian has said.
good luck

And don't use plastic sheeting under the bark, it will stop it draining and
in rain the bark will all float to the lowest point, besides which it will
damage the soil underneath. Use proper ground cover fabric which allows
water to penetrate.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-06-2007, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Maureen Patterson" wrote in message
I live in a flat and there's a huge tree in the back garden which we all
want to get rid of.

We also want to make one side of the communal back garden a bit nicer as
it's an overgrown mess at the moment and we're talking about putting down
plastic sheeting to suppress the weeds then some bark chips and finally
tables, seating, maybe a BBQ etc

If I can find someone to take down the tree safely is there any reason why
I couldn't just hire a chipper and use the tree to make the bark chips we
need? If so, can I chip the whole tree and use it or just the bark?
Sorry if this is a dumb question!

And another tree dies of shame:

Old 27-06-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

pied piper wrote:

"Maureen Patterson" wrote in message
I live in a flat and there's a huge tree in the back garden which we
all want to get rid of.

We also want to make one side of the communal back garden a bit nicer
as it's an overgrown mess at the moment and we're talking about
putting down plastic sheeting to suppress the weeds then some bark
chips and finally tables, seating, maybe a BBQ etc

If I can find someone to take down the tree safely is there any reason
why I couldn't just hire a chipper and use the tree to make the bark
chips we need? If so, can I chip the whole tree and use it or just
the bark? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

And another tree dies of shame:

I had a mature tree die recently, the cost of having it felled and
removed, including stumps, was very reasonable. When I said I would like
the chippings I got a £50 discount!