GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160763-trees.html)

Alan 25-06-2007 10:08 PM

trees

on my lawn i keep getting new trees sprouting up which i mow with the grass,
is there any way of getting rid of these without damaging the grass, i
though of cutting them about 2 inches from the ground and injecting weed
killer into the stems, would that work or is there a better idea

CWatters 25-06-2007 11:09 PM

trees

"Alan" wrote in message
on my lawn i keep getting new trees sprouting up which i mow with the

grass,
is there any way of getting rid of these without damaging the grass, i
though of cutting them about 2 inches from the ground and injecting weed
killer into the stems, would that work or is there a better idea

If there aren't very many just pull them up. If they grow back when you do
that try allowing leaves to form and then painting them with systemic weed
killer using a brush.

K 26-06-2007 10:11 PM

trees

CWatters writes

"Alan" wrote in message
on my lawn i keep getting new trees sprouting up which i mow with the

grass,
is there any way of getting rid of these without damaging the grass, i
though of cutting them about 2 inches from the ground and injecting weed
killer into the stems, would that work or is there a better idea

If there aren't very many just pull them up. If they grow back when you do
that try allowing leaves to form and then painting them with systemic weed
killer using a brush.

Work out what they are first. A common source of 'trees' growing in the
lawn is suckers from a nearby cherry tree, stimulated by mowing damaging
the near-surface roots. Using systemic weedkiller on these could well
kill the tree itself.

--
Kay

Broadback 27-06-2007 09:21 AM

trees

K wrote:
CWatters writes

"Alan" wrote in message
on my lawn i keep getting new trees sprouting up which i mow with the

grass,
is there any way of getting rid of these without damaging the grass, i
though of cutting them about 2 inches from the ground and injecting weed
killer into the stems, would that work or is there a better idea

If there aren't very many just pull them up. If they grow back when
you do
that try allowing leaves to form and then painting them with systemic
weed
killer using a brush.

Work out what they are first. A common source of 'trees' growing in the
lawn is suckers from a nearby cherry tree, stimulated by mowing damaging
the near-surface roots. Using systemic weedkiller on these could well
kill the tree itself.

Lilac from my next door neighbour does this, however the constant mowing
keeps them down.