GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rose question.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/161206-rose-question.html)

Pinetree 03-07-2007 05:29 PM

Rose question....

Does deadheading roses work? By preventing rose-hips from forming, does it
really encourage more blooms? I wouldn't bother with my shrub roses, but
there is a young rose bush I'm mollycoddling along..... Pinetree

Sacha 03-07-2007 05:40 PM

Rose question....

On 3/7/07 17:29, in article pPuii.20182$tB5.13965@edtnps90, "Pinetree"
wrote:

Does deadheading roses work? By preventing rose-hips from forming, does it
really encourage more blooms? I wouldn't bother with my shrub roses, but
there is a young rose bush I'm mollycoddling along..... Pinetree

Yes, it does help but not with roses that are poor repeaters or don't repeat
at all. Why do you say you wouldn't bother with pruning shrub roses? Do
you not want them to go on flowering, or are they the kind that have
spectacular hips? (sounds a bit strange that!)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Frank Booth Snr 03-07-2007 10:34 PM

Rose question....

Pinetree wrote:
Does deadheading roses work? By preventing rose-hips from forming, does it
really encourage more blooms?

Most definitely. Also occasionally feeding the bushes with a high potash
feed will also help flower buds to form.

Pinetree 04-07-2007 12:04 AM

Rose question....

I didn't actually say "pruning" I said deadheading. I have too many shrub
roses to deadhead each bloom.
And I like leaving some hips for the birds. ;o)

. uk...

Pinetree 04-07-2007 12:08 AM

Rose question....

Thanks Frank. I was always curious about deadheading roses, as I had never
tried it myself. :o).