GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spring weather? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/161208-spring-weather.html)

Sacha 03-07-2007 07:22 PM

Spring weather?

It seems to be so much like that! Today we have had showers, heavy rain,
wind and some welcome bursts of sun. As so often happens here, around 5pm,
the sun arrived and has stayed around for most of the last two hours.
However, big clouds are piling up from the north and the wind is in the
north west. And I just heard on the TV that June has been the wettest since
1914. And we all know what happened then..........

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

David \(Normandy\) 03-07-2007 07:30 PM

Spring weather?

And I just heard on the TV that June has been the wettest since
1914. And we all know what happened then..........

--
Sacha

I'm not saying it's been wet, but the Mrs has given me orders to stop
gardening, stop doing DIY on the house and to start building an Ark and
gathering two of each animal!

David.

Draven 03-07-2007 09:39 PM

Spring weather?

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
And I just heard on the TV that June has been the wettest since
1914. And we all know what happened then..........

--
Sacha

I'm not saying it's been wet, but the Mrs has given me orders to stop
gardening, stop doing DIY on the house and to start building an Ark and
gathering two of each animal!

David.

I've got two aphids you can have. :O)

Frank Booth Snr 03-07-2007 10:37 PM

Spring weather?

David (Normandy) wrote:

And I just heard on the TV that June has been the wettest since
1914. And we all know what happened then..........

--
Sacha

I'm not saying it's been wet, but the Mrs has given me orders to stop
gardening, stop doing DIY on the house and to start building an Ark and
gathering two of each animal!

I can contribute a pair of slugs.

Yes Baby 04-07-2007 06:55 AM

Spring weather?

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
And I just heard on the TV that June has been the wettest since
1914. And we all know what happened then..........

--
Sacha

I'm not saying it's been wet, but the Mrs has given me orders to stop
gardening, stop doing DIY on the house and to start building an Ark and
gathering two of each animal!

David.

and I've got a pair of....................ohhhh this STML.

David \(Normandy\) 04-07-2007 08:45 AM

Spring weather?

I can contribute a pair of slugs.

Due to limitations of space, there will not be room for every type of
animal, so I'm excluding slugs, snails, aphids, black fly, white fly, vine
weevils, cabbage white butterflies, moles, rabbits and wood pigeons. Cats
are on the maybe list. Any other suggestions for exclusions?

David.

Sally Thompson 04-07-2007 09:40 AM

Spring weather?

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 08:45:27 +0100, David \(Normandy\) wrote
(in article ):

I can contribute a pair of slugs.

Due to limitations of space, there will not be room for every type of
animal, so I'm excluding slugs, snails, aphids, black fly, white fly, vine
weevils, cabbage white butterflies, moles, rabbits and wood pigeons. Cats
are on the maybe list. Any other suggestions for exclusions?

Magpies (they are after "our" baby swallows)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Jeanne Stockdale 04-07-2007 11:40 AM

Spring weather?

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
It seems to be so much like that! Today we have had showers, heavy rain,
wind and some welcome bursts of sun. As so often happens here, around
5pm,
the sun arrived and has stayed around for most of the last two hours.
However, big clouds are piling up from the north and the wind is in the
north west. And I just heard on the TV that June has been the wettest
since
1914. And we all know what happened then..........

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)

And I have just read in the Telegraph that this wet weather is going to
continue until September at least!!!!

Jeanne

Barb[_4_] 04-07-2007 11:43 AM

Spring weather?

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I can contribute a pair of slugs.

Due to limitations of space, there will not be room for every type of
animal, so I'm excluding slugs, snails, aphids, black fly, white fly, vine
weevils, cabbage white butterflies, moles, rabbits and wood pigeons. Cats
are on the maybe list. Any other suggestions for exclusions?

David.

Wasps a definite - I can't really see much point in them.
I also hate spiders, but I can see that they are important so I suppose I'd
have to put up with them!

Cats can be useful in controlling small vermin (and they'd control the
spiders ... although my very elderly moggy just sniffs them and lets them
get away) Dogs also have their uses, but the horrible little yappy snarly
ones can definitely be dispensed with!

As far as micro organisms are concerned - yeasts/fungi in particular - we
should keep the ones that brew wine, but not the ones that cause itchy bits
in places where the sun don't shine !!!! :-)))

(.... I think I'd better stop there .......)

Barb

Uncle Marvo 04-07-2007 11:54 AM

Spring weather?

, I, Marvo, say :

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I can contribute a pair of slugs.

Due to limitations of space, there will not be room for every type of
animal, so I'm excluding slugs, snails, aphids, black fly, white
fly, vine weevils, cabbage white butterflies, moles, rabbits and
wood pigeons. Cats are on the maybe list. Any other suggestions for
exclusions? David.

Wasps a definite - I can't really see much point in them.
I also hate spiders, but I can see that they are important so I
suppose I'd have to put up with them!

Read "does anything eat wasps". It won't make you like them any better, but
it does say what they do. It appears that if there were no wasps, all in
all, the world would be a better place.

Cats can be useful in controlling small vermin (and they'd control the
spiders ... although my very elderly moggy just sniffs them and lets
them get away) Dogs also have their uses, but the horrible little
yappy snarly ones can definitely be dispensed with!

Cats do more doo-doos in my "garden" than rabbits. And I don't own a cat. At
least dog owners tend to collect their own :-)

As far as micro organisms are concerned - yeasts/fungi in particular
- we should keep the ones that brew wine, but not the ones that cause
itchy bits in places where the sun don't shine !!!! :-)))

And nematode worms, for the slugs.

Uncle Marvo 04-07-2007 11:55 AM

Spring weather?

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
It seems to be so much like that! Today we have had showers, heavy rain,
wind and some welcome bursts of sun. As so often happens here, around
5pm,
the sun arrived and has stayed around for most of the last two hours.
However, big clouds are piling up from the north and the wind is in the
north west. And I just heard on the TV that June has been the wettest
since
1914. And we all know what happened then..........

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)

And I have just read in the Telegraph that this wet weather is going to
continue until September at least!!!!

It's such a joy to know that most of what you read in newspapers, even the
"quality" ones, is a pile of rubbish, isn't it?

La Puce 04-07-2007 12:06 PM

Spring weather?

On 4 Jul, 11:54, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Read "does anything eat wasps". It won't make you like them any better, but
it does say what they do. It appears that if there were no wasps, all in
all, the world would be a better place.

I've read recently that if bees where to be extinct, how long do you
think we would have before we run out of food crops? Six years ... I
was shocked. Still am ..

Uncle Marvo 04-07-2007 12:16 PM

Spring weather?

, I, Marvo, say :

On 4 Jul, 11:54, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Read "does anything eat wasps". It won't make you like them any
better, but it does say what they do. It appears that if there were
no wasps, all in all, the world would be a better place.

I've read recently that if bees where to be extinct, how long do you
think we would have before we run out of food crops? Six years ... I
was shocked. Still am ..

Certain food crops, yes. There are many that don't need the bee. I'm sure
the Americans would come up with some sort of electronic nano-bee that would
do the job :-)

La Puce 04-07-2007 12:39 PM

Spring weather?

On 4 Jul, 12:16, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Certain food crops, yes. There are many that don't need the bee. I'm sure
the Americans would come up with some sort of electronic nano-bee that would
do the job :-)

Nano-bee, cute. They would I'm sure find some poor souls with a
contraption on their backs giving them lift off and buzz all day long
from plants to plants. Come to think of it I wouldn't mind the job
myself ;o)

K 04-07-2007 12:58 PM

Spring weather?

"David (Normandy)" writes
I can contribute a pair of slugs.

Due to limitations of space, there will not be room for every type of
animal, so I'm excluding slugs, snails, aphids, black fly, white fly, vine
weevils, cabbage white butterflies, moles, rabbits and wood pigeons. Cats
are on the maybe list. Any other suggestions for exclusions?

David.

Ladybirds.

If you aren't including their food source, then it would be cruel to
take them.
--
Kay