Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plague of snails.

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "'Mike'" contains these words:

Have you seen the speeded up animated picture of a Motorway
which has been closed and left to nature for about 250 years I think it
is?

They had Motorways 250 years ago! Sheesh, I'd never have believed that
there were enough horses, carts and stagecoaches to warrant it!

--

With the Earth being a reputed 36,000 Million years old, do you seriously
believe that we of 2007, are the most advanced human beings which have

There is a poster in the Roman Villa at Brading here on the Isle of Wight
which shows how the Roman Villa, which was the centre of a very prosperous
community with farms, factories and a harbour in the very early part of the
AD Century, ran into decay and was eventually covered 'by nature and natural
causes' until it was rediscovered in the late 19th century,.nearly 2000
years later.

And do you not think that there is quite likely to be far more intelligent
life out there in space? Do you honestly believe that 'we' are far more
clever than 'anything else'?

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 05-07-2007, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 5, 9:57 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
A few weeks ago I went to post a letter (honestly!) on a wet night. We've
had a lot of those recently. I noticed a huge number of snails on the
footpath so on my way back I collected them and saved them until morning to
give to my hens.

Mary!!!!!! I cannot believe you gave them to the hens! Here (in
France at the moment) I buy snails, to eat, no way can my hens, when I
get them, have my snails.

p.s. This p.m. I am going to Clermont Ferrand to see a hen house aka
the Mary Fisher type one. It's not your Eglu but on the same
principle, hopefully it will be as good, if not the removal van will
be bringing an Eglu.

Judith

Old 05-07-2007, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 5, 9:57 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
A few weeks ago I went to post a letter (honestly!) on a wet night. We've
had a lot of those recently. I noticed a huge number of snails on the
footpath so on my way back I collected them and saved them until morning
give to my hens.

Mary!!!!!! I cannot believe you gave them to the hens! Here (in
France at the moment) I buy snails, to eat, no way can my hens, when I
get them, have my snails.

Ours are not the kind you eat, our hens love snails, especially small ones,
they fight over them.

p.s. This p.m. I am going to Clermont Ferrand to see a hen house aka
the Mary Fisher type one. It's not your Eglu but on the same
principle, hopefully it will be as good, if not the removal van will
be bringing an Eglu.

I'd be interested to know about yours.

Mary

Old 05-07-2007, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Dick Chambers writes
I have lived in the same house in Leeds for the last 33 years. During the
first 27 (approximately) of these years, I hardly ever saw a snail, although
I did have a large number of slugs. During the last 6 (approx) years, there
has been a dramatic increase in the number of snails. On a wet evening after
dark, if I go to post a letter in the local mail box, my feet inadvertently
crunch a snail every tenth step, on average. I have just removed and killed
about 50 of them from my bed of petunias, the bed being a mere 5 square
metres in area. The snails are thick on the ground. It ihas reached the
point where I would describe it as a plague.

Is this problem local to Leeds, or has there been the same problem
throughout the UK? What has caused the sudden increase in their population?

I don't know about anywhere else (always had snails in Kent and Sussex,
but not in quantity) but same experience as you in Leeds - first few
years, slugs but no snails, now, lots of both.

The other thing that has changed over the period is that it has got
noticeably wetter. The stream in the Nature Area we look after has gone
from being a trickle to being a real stream, the boggy area in the local
park is now a real pool in winter and boggy most of the year, and there
has been a huge increase in plants like lesser celandine which like damp
conditions.

I can understand why this should lead to an increase in molluscs
generally, but not quite sure it should be the *snails* that have
increased - the shell, I would have thought, would make them better able
to cope with dry conditions. Though on second thoughts, perhaps the fact
they need a shell is an indication that they aren't as able as slugs to
cope with slightly(1) drier conditions.

(1) - we're talking relative here - nowhere in Leeds has ever been truly
dry ;-)
--
Kay

Old 05-07-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Jul, 11:30, "JennyC" wrote:
Have you seen the speeded up animated picture of a Motorway
which has been closed and left to nature for about 250 years I think it
is?

Link ??

I've looked around - I was so curious! Found nothing. But I had this
when I wanted to do a green bridge using an old foot bridge in
Manchester last year. I'm still really into the idea. It could be so
fun ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?hfocMPQtEU

Old 05-07-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 5 Jul, 11:30, "JennyC" wrote:
Have you seen the speeded up animated picture of a Motorway
which has been closed and left to nature for about 250 years I think
it
is?

Link ??

I've looked around - I was so curious! Found nothing. But I had this
when I wanted to do a green bridge using an old foot bridge in
Manchester last year. I'm still really into the idea. It could be so
fun ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?hfocMPQtEU

I believe the animation was on TV but I would love to see it again.

On the same theme, anyone who knows the Winchester by Pass of old, and those
traffic lights :-(( would find it hard to find now :-)) The cutting has been
filled in and 'sloped' to match the contours of the land and is now all
grass and shrubs :-)). The Worthy Down cutting is another matter :-((

Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

(1) - we're talking relative here - nowhere in Leeds has ever been truly
dry ;-)

Too many pubs.

Mary

Old 05-07-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie Pridham
wrote

It can be something as simple as your local authority being better at rat
control,

It will be irresponsible cat owners allowing their 'pets' to roam and
destroying the local bird population.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Charlie Pridham
wrote

It can be something as simple as your local authority being better at rat
control,

It will be irresponsible cat owners allowing their 'pets' to roam and
destroying the local bird population.

--
Alan

For 'pets' read ""VERMIN""

Kindest regards to all who are trying to 'garden'.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/7/07 16:54, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

In message , Charlie Pridham
wrote

It can be something as simple as your local authority being better
at rat control,

It will be irresponsible cat owners allowing their 'pets' to roam and
destroying the local bird population.

Er, a bit harsh, maybe. I thought it was the prerogative of cats to roam.
You can't keep them locked in, can you?

I am not being funny, I have a genuine interest in this. I don't have a cat.

I thought all cats had access to a flap so they could go out and do what
cats do. Dogs are "taken" out. Cats aren't.

Is there a reason for this?

Lots of cats are house cats and never, ever go outside. Dogs are either let
out or taken out, I agree. Personally, I think it's cruel to keep cats
cooped up in a house all the time, looking through the window at the
wildlife! However, friends in e.g. USA have explained to me that their cats
are house cats because of the number of predators that can harm them. Here
- apart from man, there are only two dangers I can think of for cats, dogs
and foxes.
Cats are said by some to account for the loss of millions of songbirds in
Britain every year.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
wrote

Lots of cats are house cats and never, ever go outside. Dogs are either let
out or taken out, I agree. Personally, I think it's cruel to keep cats
cooped up in a house all the time, looking through the window at the
wildlife! However, friends in e.g. USA have explained to me that their cats
are house cats because of the number of predators that can harm them. Here
- apart from man, there are only two dangers I can think of for cats, dogs
and foxes.

Foxes are not a problem for cats otherwise there would be no problem
with the number of cats in my neighbourhood. There was a documentary on
TV some years ago about the urban fox. It showed a few encounters
between cats and the fox. They either avoided each other or the cat
always won.

I guess that most dogs kept as pets wouldn't know what to do with a cat
if they actually caught one.

Cats are said by some to account for the loss of millions of songbirds in
Britain every year.

I find the remains of a bird (lots of feathers) in my urban garden about
once a week.

While a few years ago I had many birds visiting my garden I hardly see
any now. The number of problem feline pets has increased dramatically.

Apart from killing birds, shitting in newly planted flower beds they
also **** on everything to mark 'their ' territory. In an urban
environment the territories are on 'time share' so many cats will ****
on the same plants.

Why cannot antisocial cat owners see that their pet is _always_
someone else's problem! I bet that if the same owners were infested
with roaming rats they would be the first to complain. For their
neighbours the roaming cat is often the problem!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 5, 12:28 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
p.s. This p.m. I am going to Clermont Ferrand to see a hen house aka
the Mary Fisher type one. It's not your Eglu but on the same
principle, hopefully it will be as good, if not the removal van will
be bringing an Eglu.

I'd be interested to know about yours.

Mary, I went to Clermont but got sidetracked and got home at 7p.m.
French time and actually achieved very little today. I am having
dinner tomorrow night with a friend who has told me about the
alternative egglus so I will try and find out a link so that both you
and I can have a look.

Judith

Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 5, 1:49 pm, Martin wrote:

Have you thought what you are going to put in the removal van for the return
trip?

Do you know, I never thought of that!!! What do you suggest?

Judith