Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea cuttings

Outside my mother-in-laws flat there is a wonderful white flowered
Hydrangea.

What is the best way to take a cutting, or should I try layering a branch?

Is there a best time?

Any advice appreciated.

Steve

Old 09-07-2007, 01:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote in message
Outside my mother-in-laws flat there is a wonderful white flowered
Hydrangea.

What is the best way to take a cutting, or should I try layering a

branch?

Is there a best time?

Any advice appreciated.

Steve

Take your cuttings in August or September and if you follow the guidence
in this link http://tinyurl.com/2r9fv6 you will be definitely be
successful.

Best to choose cuttings which have no flower heads.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

Take your cuttings in August or September and if you follow the guidence
in this link http://tinyurl.com/2r9fv6 you will be definitely be
successful.

Best to choose cuttings which have no flower heads.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Thank you.

I'll be patient and wait.

:-)

Old 09-07-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 8, 10:10 pm, "Steve" wrote:
Outside my mother-in-laws flat there is a wonderful white flowered
Hydrangea.

What is the best way to take a cutting, or should I try layering a branch?

Is there a best time?

Any advice appreciated.

Steve

Steve, I would repeat the advice given by Emrys but I also took about
a dozen cuttings last month. I do it the easy way, I tore off new and
green growth, I took off all the top leaves leaving just a couple and
plunged them up to their necks in a sandy soil mix. They all took.

Judith

Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Steve
writes

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

Take your cuttings in August or September and if you follow the guidence
in this link http://tinyurl.com/2r9fv6 you will be definitely be
successful.

Best to choose cuttings which have no flower heads.

If you hunt round the plant there's usually one or two shoots that have
yet to develop flowers, or failing that I would chance one or two
cuttings from the plant and just cut the flower and top inch of growth
off. I find hydrangeas root easily. Take a piece of semi ripe stem, not
the very young soft growth or the darker older stiffer wood, cutting
just under a shoot, strip lower leaves off and leave just one or two
leaves, (so it doesn't need too much water)
Shove it into some gritty compost or sharp sand water in keep in shade.
Well that's what I do, if some fail and some take , well you have more
than enough!. Wouldn't take from shoot that had flowered and was going
over.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Hydrangea cuttings Jeff Layman[_2_] United Kingdom 7 13-01-2011 09:42 AM
Hydrangea Cuttings Luke Australia 4 21-03-2007 02:43 AM
What to do with hydrangea cuttings? Frank Logullo Gardening 0 15-09-2004 05:37 PM
Wanted: Trade Hydrangea Cuttings stonewriter North Carolina 0 13-05-2004 11:07 PM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 04:08 AM