Old 14-07-2007, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default JCB Garden Shredder

Just been struggling with my JCB Shredder :-((

I thought I would look for other comments just to see if I was wrong.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/garden-tools...redder/278426/

Says it all.

Looking for a garden shredder? Give JCB a miss.

I do notice that Argos, which is where I got my contraption from, now no
longer stocks ANY JCB stuff!!

Now, can anyone recommend a decent domestic shredder? We had a Black and
Decker G1000(?) before until it wore out.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 14-07-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| Now, can anyone recommend a decent domestic shredder? We had a Black and
| Decker G1000(?) before until it wore out.

I haven't had it long (c. 9 months, and a fair amount of shredding,
am very happy with my Bosch 2200.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-07-2007, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after
"'Mike'" asked

| Now, can anyone recommend a decent domestic shredder? We had a Black
and
| Decker G1000(?) before until it wore out.

I haven't had it long (c. 9 months, and a fair amount of shredding,
am very happy with my Bosch 2200.

How is it with green soft stuff Nick? Does it clog? My old Atko just
couldn't handle such plant material, woody stuff, ie shrub cuttings, were
OK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-07-2007, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after
"'Mike'" asked

| Now, can anyone recommend a decent domestic shredder? We had a Black
and
| Decker G1000(?) before until it wore out.

I haven't had it long (c. 9 months, and a fair amount of shredding,
am very happy with my Bosch 2200.

How is it with green soft stuff Nick? Does it clog? My old Atko just
couldn't handle such plant material, woody stuff, ie shrub cuttings, were
OK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

I also am very happy with my bosch 2200, re soft stuff we keep a supply of
stick and alternate or it fills the groves and stops mashing things up, but
we are mainly interested in harder stuff so I do not consider it a
disadvantage as anything soft tends to go in the compost bins or straight
back on the garden.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-07-2007, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just make sure you get a quiet worm/screw type shredder ,they seem to work
on the same basis as old mincing machine. I have had a bosch for 3 years now
,you can get them much cheaper,maybe half-price, on ebay.
"'Mike'" wrote in message
Just been struggling with my JCB Shredder :-((

I thought I would look for other comments just to see if I was wrong.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/garden-tools...redder/278426/

Says it all.

Looking for a garden shredder? Give JCB a miss.

I do notice that Argos, which is where I got my contraption from, now no
longer stocks ANY JCB stuff!!

Now, can anyone recommend a decent domestic shredder? We had a Black and
Decker G1000(?) before until it wore out.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will have a
Stand

Old 15-07-2007, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"davej" wrote in message
Just make sure you get a quiet worm/screw type shredder ,they seem to work
on the same basis as old mincing machine. I have had a bosch for 3 years
now ,you can get them much cheaper,maybe half-price, on ebay.

Thanks for that. I notice others have said Bosch. I would imagine that if
they work on the worm and mincer principle, they will be a lot slower, but,
the end product will be very small which is ideal for either spreading or
composting.

Would appreciate your comments.

Best wishes

Old 15-07-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"davej" wrote in message
Just make sure you get a quiet worm/screw type shredder ,they seem to

work
on the same basis as old mincing machine. I have had a bosch for 3 years
now ,you can get them much cheaper,maybe half-price, on ebay.

Thanks for that. I notice others have said Bosch. I would imagine that if
they work on the worm and mincer principle, they will be a lot slower,

but,
the end product will be very small which is ideal for either spreading or
composting.

Would appreciate your comments.

Best wishes

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will have a

Stand

Mike, there are 3 methods of shedding available in small domestic sized
shedders the first is like a liquidiser, these machines are fine for small
amounts of work but although normally cheap, are noisy, and prone to
clogging/jamming which then requires dismantling to sort out.
second sort work on a worm screw like a meat mincer, they are much quieter
and although they are slower they do pull the sticks in so once the end is
inserted you can fetch the next one while it chomps away, they tend to
produce lumps like the top joint of your middle finger. the third sort have
a revolving drum with teeth and are very similar to the worm screw type
above except they crush the lumps as they pass through and can cope with
much bigger stuff. both the second and third sort rarely gum up or jam but
in both cases have a reverse which unblocks you without the use of spanners!
Having used all 3 sorts I have no hesitation in saying the first sort with
spinning blades are a noisy waste of time while the other two sorts are
brilliant, it then depends on the amount of shredding you intend doing, in
the long run they are quicker and my wife can shred faster than I can cut
stuff down so they are not that slow.

Old 15-07-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"davej" wrote in message
Just make sure you get a quiet worm/screw type shredder ,they seem to

work
on the same basis as old mincing machine. I have had a bosch for 3
years
now ,you can get them much cheaper,maybe half-price, on ebay.

Thanks for that. I notice others have said Bosch. I would imagine that if
they work on the worm and mincer principle, they will be a lot slower,

but,
the end product will be very small which is ideal for either spreading or
composting.

Would appreciate your comments.

Best wishes

Mike

'THE' Association if you served in the Electrical Branch of the Royal
Navy
[...]

I second your comments about the first sort - the spinning blade type. I
bought a cheap one of those from Homebase, a Black and Decker. Frankly I
spent more time dismantling and unclogging it than actually using it. In the
end, after only a few weeks of use, I got so annoyed with it that I put the
machine into the dustbin!

David.

Old 15-07-2007, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"davej" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the comments folks. Much appreciated.

David. We had a Black and Decker and yes I quite agree about it clogging up
a lot, especially if feeding wet stuff though, but at least the output was
good.

The JCB is RUBBISH.

AND it is one hell of a job to take the front off to de-clog it :-((

AND it is unwieldy to move about.

Question. Why had Argos removed ALL JCB products from their stores?

BTW, I have a JCB Power Washer and that is not tooooooooooooooooooooooo bad,
but not anything I would write home about :-(

Old 15-07-2007, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
wrote

"davej" wrote in message
Just make sure you get a quiet worm/screw type shredder ,they seem to work
on the same basis as old mincing machine. I have had a bosch for 3 years
now ,you can get them much cheaper,maybe half-price, on ebay.

Thanks for that. I notice others have said Bosch. I would imagine that if
they work on the worm and mincer principle, they will be a lot slower, but,
the end product will be very small which is ideal for either spreading or
composting.

After seeing recommendations on the uk.d-i-y newsgroup I purchased a
Bosch AXT2000 and I am very satisfied with it. Note that there is
another Bosch machine with a SIMILAR model number that is reported not
to work too well - the AXT is important in the model number.

I purchased my machine as a re-graded machine from Ebay for around £140
including postage. A re-graded machine is one that has been returned to
a store but refurbished by the manufacturer. There are one or two long
time sellers on Ebay with these re-graded products. (Don't all rush in
at once and all bid on the same machine pushing up the price - the
sellers tend to put only or two on a week and they usually go for the
original asking price).

The Bosch replaced a spinning blade machine which was absolute c**p -
forever clogging and the blades blunting.

The Bosch can have problems with soft green garden waste if that's all
you have to put through it. The worm drive tends to crush it rather than
pulling it cleanly through the machine. Having learnt my lesson I now
save harder waste. When the soft green stuff is starting to become a
problem I just feed in the harder stuff. The worm grips the end of the
harder stuff and drags through the soft stuff with it.

With soft waste it is probably better composing rather than shredding -
soft green waste doesn't need to be in small pieces to break down fast.

So far I had the machine for over a year and have given it some abuse. I
haven't had to dismantle it yet
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 15-07-2007, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David. We had a Black and Decker and yes I quite agree about it clogging
up a lot, especially if feeding wet stuff though, but at least the output
was good.

Mike

I think Black and Decker were taken over a few years ago, or started getting
their products made up on the cheap in China or similar. Since then the
quality of their products has noticeably declined in my opinion. I used to
swear by them. I've also stopped buying B&D power drills too now, the
bearings failed in my last one after a short time. I also had a B&D scorpion
saw and that failed just after 12 months - there was a really naff bit of a
spot weld that took all the strain of driving the blade mechanism. Really
poor quality design mechanically. Nowadays I buy Bosch.

David.

Old 15-07-2007, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Just been struggling with my JCB Shredder :-((

You've been given some good advice so far, some further comments.

JCB don't make garden power equipment or power tools, they licence the brand
and to my mind they let some awful shit use their brand name. Generally, if
you are buying a product under £3,000, it isn't made by JCB.

In "worm/screw type shredder" that has been mentioned is the best type in
this size/market/price we are talking about.

The Bosch isn't fairly good, which is unusual for this type of goods.
Another consideration is the Viking unit which is made by Stihl and
available through your local garden machinery dealer found in the Yellow
Pages, As an alternative the MTD units can also be considered, again
through your local dealer.