Old 15-07-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default herb/weed id please?

I was doing some badly needed weeding in the (rare) sunshine today,
and came across a weed/herb I do not know. It is low growing, with
the same type of leaf structure as flat-leaf parsley, only much more
delicate. It is a paler shade of green, too, and the leaves closer to
the soil can be even paler, nearly white, or a very odd shade of
purple.
What made me think it could be a herb is that when crushed it smell of
licorice/aniseed.
I was so enthusiastically weeding I did not take the time to take a
pic. I hope my description is enough to identify it?
TIA.

Cat(h)
Old 15-07-2007, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:16:38 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Ligusticum canadense

Thank you for the suggestion, but I just googled it to look up photos
and it is definitely not that one.
What I am talking about is very delicate fine greenery (it crushes
very easily) and quite low growing. I haven't given it a chance to go
to flower, so I have no idea what those look like. I found it growing
under other plants, at the foot of my dwarf french and broad beans.

Cat(h)
Old 16-07-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
I was doing some badly needed weeding in the (rare) sunshine today,
and came across a weed/herb I do not know. It is low growing, with
the same type of leaf structure as flat-leaf parsley, only much more
delicate. It is a paler shade of green, too, and the leaves closer to
the soil can be even paler, nearly white, or a very odd shade of
purple.
What made me think it could be a herb is that when crushed it smell of
licorice/aniseed.
I was so enthusiastically weeding I did not take the time to take a
pic. I hope my description is enough to identify it?
TIA.

Cat(h)

Try Achillea, not sure which species but I have a low growing fine grey
green leafed weed in my grass that matches your description, has white
flowers if left long enough, aromatic but I would not have said aniseed.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-07-2007, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/7/07 08:41, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
[...]

I'm confused now! Original Cat said it is like flat-leaf parsley which
Ligusticum resembles but now that it is very fine and delicate. Ligusticum
does have the aniseed smell but there is something else that is almost dill
like in its leaves but I don't know the name.
My other suggestion would be Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-07-2007, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Anne Jackson
writes

I would suggest Sweet Cicely, purely on the smell of aniseed...

It's anything but 'low growing' though...

Myrrh can be low growing if in poor soil, it can also be crushed easily
as the OP suggests and does indeed smell of aniseed so I would also go
with sweet Cicely Mine only gets to about a foot in height, though I
chop it back once it's flowered.
Of course I am assuming it's not Agastache?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-07-2007, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 16, 10:24 am, Sacha wrote:
On 16/7/07 08:41, in article , "Charlie

Pridham" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'm sorry for being obviously not very gifted at describing the plant.
None of the suggestions (having googled photos of same) match my
plant.
I said it had the same leaf structure as parsley, i.e. a ferny type
leaf. However, I also said it was far more delicate, easily crushed/
bruised, very pale green, with some leaves white and even purple close
to the ground. I am not sure how tall it would get given the chance -
it didn't get the chance. I have to say I had never come across it
anywhere until this year in my veg patch.
There's only one thing for it: I must try and get a photo of it. If
the weather permits next week end, and assuming that I didn't pluck
every last bit of it, I'll take a pic and post a link to it.
I seem to recall some time back someone posted a website through which
one could access a database of photos categorised by shapes/colours
etc. to identify plants. Has anyone the url for this?
Thanks to all for the collective headscratching :-)

Cat(h)

Old 16-07-2007, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/7/07 11:28, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

snip

I'm sorry for being obviously not very gifted at describing the plant.
None of the suggestions (having googled photos of same) match my
plant.

I think it can be quite hard to describe something like that, because not
only is it not a plant everyone will normally take much notice of, everyone
'sees' things slightly differently.

I said it had the same leaf structure as parsley, i.e. a ferny type
leaf. However, I also said it was far more delicate, easily crushed/
bruised, very pale green, with some leaves white and even purple close
to the ground. I am not sure how tall it would get given the chance -
it didn't get the chance. I have to say I had never come across it
anywhere until this year in my veg patch.
There's only one thing for it: I must try and get a photo of it. If
the weather permits next week end, and assuming that I didn't pluck
every last bit of it, I'll take a pic and post a link to it.
I seem to recall some time back someone posted a website through which
one could access a database of photos categorised by shapes/colours
etc. to identify plants. Has anyone the url for this?
Thanks to all for the collective headscratching :-)

It's fun to try. ;-) But a photo would certainly do it. There's a site
called Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/

Old 16-07-2007, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 16, 11:53 am, Sacha wrote:
On 16/7/07 11:28, in article
. com, "Cat(h)"

wrote:

snip

I'm sorry for being obviously not very gifted at describing the plant.
None of the suggestions (having googled photos of same) match my
plant.

I think it can be quite hard to describe something like that, because not
only is it not a plant everyone will normally take much notice of, everyone
'sees' things slightly differently.

That's a fair comment. Something else just struck me about the smell:
before tackling that weed, I had just pulled up a whole pile of tall
dill seedlings. Right now, I could not swear whether the smell was
the dill lingering on me (which it does), or the actual smell of the
plant. Quite apart from the photo, I must test the smell again, now
that the dill is all gone.

I said it had the same leaf structure as parsley, i.e. a ferny type
leaf. However, I also said it was far more delicate, easily crushed/
bruised, very pale green, with some leaves white and even purple close
to the ground. I am not sure how tall it would get given the chance -
it didn't get the chance. I have to say I had never come across it
anywhere until this year in my veg patch.
There's only one thing for it: I must try and get a photo of it. If
the weather permits next week end, and assuming that I didn't pluck
every last bit of it, I'll take a pic and post a link to it.
I seem to recall some time back someone posted a website through which
one could access a database of photos categorised by shapes/colours
etc. to identify plants. Has anyone the url for this?
Thanks to all for the collective headscratching :-)

It's fun to try. ;-)

I guess as much from finding myself looking up those threads almost
systematically - even if I can rarely answer the question, and when
I'm able to have generally been pipped to it by the more expert
posters.

But a photo would certainly do it. There's a site
called Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/

I'll probably tinypic it - it works for me :-)
Thanks again,
Cat(h)

Old 16-07-2007, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/7/07 12:15, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Jul 16, 11:53 am, Sacha wrote:
On 16/7/07 11:28, in article
. com, "Cat(h)"

wrote:

snip

I'm sorry for being obviously not very gifted at describing the plant.
None of the suggestions (having googled photos of same) match my
plant.

I think it can be quite hard to describe something like that, because not
only is it not a plant everyone will normally take much notice of, everyone
'sees' things slightly differently.

That's a fair comment. Something else just struck me about the smell:
before tackling that weed, I had just pulled up a whole pile of tall
dill seedlings. Right now, I could not swear whether the smell was
the dill lingering on me (which it does), or the actual smell of the
plant. Quite apart from the photo, I must test the smell again, now
that the dill is all gone.

That could certainly make a difference. It's a fairly 'clingy' smell, IMO.

I said it had the same leaf structure as parsley, i.e. a ferny type
leaf. However, I also said it was far more delicate, easily crushed/
bruised, very pale green, with some leaves white and even purple close
to the ground.

snip

It's fun to try. ;-)

I guess as much from finding myself looking up those threads almost
systematically - even if I can rarely answer the question, and when
I'm able to have generally been pipped to it by the more expert
posters.

In trying to find your weed, I learned a lot more about so-called weeds
which are in fact edible or medicinal - just goes to show that nothing is
ever wasted!

But a photo would certainly do it. There's a site
called Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/

I'll probably tinypic it - it works for me :-)
Thanks again,
Cat(h)

Looking forward to seeing it.

Old 16-07-2007, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 16, 1:49 pm, Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message
from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

I was doing some badly needed weeding in the (rare) sunshine today,
and came across a weed/herb I do not know. It is low growing, with
the same type of leaf structure as flat-leaf parsley, only much more
delicate. It is a paler shade of green, too, and the leaves closer to
the soil can be even paler, nearly white, or a very odd shade of
purple.
What made me think it could be a herb is that when crushed it smell of
licorice/aniseed.
I was so enthusiastically weeding I did not take the time to take a
pic. I hope my description is enough to identify it?
TIA.

Could it be Chervil? Though I think the leaves may be more finely cut
than the plant you are describing.

Jennifer

Do you know, I think you've just cracked it! The photos I can find
look remarkably like the stuff I have been pulling from under my
beans!
Thank you so much!

Cat(h) (who will keep whatever more of it shows up)

Old 16-07-2007, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 16, 2:05 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
[...]

Cat(h) (who will keep whatever more of it shows up)- Hide quoted text -

Definitely Chervil: I read in one of the website that more mature
leaves turn a shade of bronze, which I described as purple. Not sure
how it ended up in my garden!
Thanks again!
Cat(h)

Old 16-07-2007, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/7/07 14:18, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

snip

Definitely Chervil: I read in one of the website that more mature
leaves turn a shade of bronze, which I described as purple. Not sure
how it ended up in my garden!
Thanks again!
Cat(h)

I'm glad you've found it but if you're pulling up dill and chervil, are you
on what used to be somebody's herb garden? That would explain how it ended
up there.

Old 16-07-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 16, 3:48 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 16/7/07 14:18, in article
om, "Cat(h)"

wrote:

snip

Definitely Chervil: I read in one of the website that more mature
leaves turn a shade of bronze, which I described as purple. Not sure
how it ended up in my garden!
Thanks again!
Cat(h)

I'm glad you've found it but if you're pulling up dill and chervil, are you
on what used to be somebody's herb garden? That would explain how it ended
up there.

No, the site used to be mostly scattered with rubbish and slabs of
concrete when we bought the house 4 years ago :-)
The dill is my own doing. A single specimen set up shop between veg
and ornamental plants, having emigrated from my herb garden last year
(where incidentally, dill did appallingly badly). It was so huge and
gorgeous I kept it (and used it generously). But I didn't behead it
in time, so it self seeded profusely. The weather has been appalling
here for the last two months, and I have been busy in work, so I
hadn't been spending any worthwhile time in the garden in ages. I
ended up with a veritable rainforest of the stuff between the veg and
one of my ornamental beds. I plucked it all over this week end,
keeping and freezing as much of the fronds as I could (I love dill in
salads and with fish).

The chervil is the real mystery. Never saw it before, and this year
there was quite a bit of it at the foot of my beans. I must ask my
neighbours if they grow it - that might be the explanation.
I'm quite chuffed though, and nearly sorry I plucked it like a weed.
Though I suspect there is still some about, which I may just leave
there and harvest for culinary purposes.

Cat(h)

Old 16-07-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Cat(h)" writes
On Jul 16, 2:05 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Jul 16, 1:49 pm, Jennifer Sparkes wrote:

Could it be Chervil? Though I think the leaves may be more finely cut
than the plant you are describing.

Jennifer

Do you know, I think you've just cracked it! The photos I can find
look remarkably like the stuff I have been pulling from under my
beans!
Thank you so much!

Cat(h) (who will keep whatever more of it shows up)- Hide quoted text -

Definitely Chervil: I read in one of the website that more mature
leaves turn a shade of bronze, which I described as purple. Not sure
how it ended up in my garden!
Thanks again!
Cat(h)

I wouldn't eat it until you've identified it definitely including
letting it flower and seed. One of the weedy umbellifers, for example,
does the leaf colour change thing, and along with the herbs like chervil
there's a lot of poisonous plants in that family.
--
Kay

Herb Sale At Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium and Nursery mrchaos007 Texas 21 11-04-2005 08:07 PM
Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
herb or weed? Doctoroe North Carolina 22 01-05-2003 05:47 PM
herb or weed? Doctoroe North Carolina 20 19-04-2003 03:08 PM
Is it herb or weed? Doctoroe Gardening 4 29-03-2003 12:08 PM