Old 16-07-2007, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Groundsel (Ligularia)

I am trying to differentiate between Ligularia veitchiana and Ligularia
sibirica (a friend of mine has quite a nice collection of Ligularias, but
there is some disagreement as to which is which). And I HAVE googled. Also
looked in RHS Encyclopaedia of Garden Plants and similar books. Lots of
photos on the Web, but completely useless - usually flowers only, no leaves,
or else conflicting photos. Can you please give me any pointers - what are
characteristics of both plants, or perhaps there is a National Collection of
Ligularias in UK where I could ask for help?

Regards, Barbara.

Old 16-07-2007, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Basia Kulesz
writes
I am trying to differentiate between Ligularia veitchiana and Ligularia
sibirica (a friend of mine has quite a nice collection of Ligularias, but
there is some disagreement as to which is which). And I HAVE googled. Also
looked in RHS Encyclopaedia of Garden Plants and similar books. Lots of
photos on the Web, but completely useless - usually flowers only, no leaves,
or else conflicting photos. Can you please give me any pointers - what are
characteristics of both plants, or perhaps there is a National Collection of
Ligularias in UK where I could ask for help?

Regards, Barbara.

I've found one nursery which sells both plants, so you could try asking
them.

http://www.shrublandparknurseries.co...ine_plants.htm

Cotswold Garden Flowers also describes both species

http://www.cgf.net/plants.php?genus=LIGULARIA

The online Flora of China covers those two species (and 122 others). You
could try and see if you can make sense of the key and descriptions
therein.

http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/china/m...eae-AGH-Seneci
oneae-part1_coauthoring.htm
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 18-07-2007, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uzytkownik "Stewart Robert Hinsley" napisal w
wiadomosci news
In message , Basia Kulesz
writes
[...]

I've sent an e-mail - thanks for a suggestion.

Cotswold Garden Flowers also describes both species

http://www.cgf.net/plants.php?genus=LIGULARIA

Somewhat laconic, but it hints at colour difference in the flowers

The online Flora of China covers those two species (and 122 others). You
could try and see if you can make sense of the key and descriptions
therein.

http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/china/m...eae-AGH-Seneci
oneae-part1_coauthoring.htm

Yes, I've studied these. Bit difficult for a layman, pity that there are no
drawings.

Should anyone be interested, I'll show some photos. Nice "architectural"
plants, even if exact names remain a mystery

http://images24.fotosik.pl/30/7f705148fe27d5dd.jpg
http://images26.fotosik.pl/30/73c95516784af793med.jpg

http://images30.fotosik.pl/30/ee55541d5c235a3f.jpg

http://images26.fotosik.pl/30/713beaa3b26bce82med.jpg

Regards, Barbara.

Weed of the Week: Groundsel (Senecio vulgaris) Mad Cow Garden Photos 6 04-10-2013 05:34 PM
got groundsel trees? ncstockguy North Carolina 1 23-05-2008 05:31 PM
What's eating holes in leaves of Ligularia and Farfugium? Larry Gagnon United Kingdom 1 06-05-2008 04:56 PM
ligularia Nelson Kirsch Gardening 1 06-09-2003 02:02 PM
ligularia Nelson Kirsch Gardening 0 31-08-2003 01:42 PM