GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Kent roadside ID? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/161980-kent-roadside-id.html)

Les Hemmings 20-07-2007 09:42 PM

Kent roadside ID?

There's a big blousy yellow flowered plant appearing on the verges here in
Kent. Large, beautiful cup shaped flowers on a spire. Three inches across
and as much deep... a bit like evening primrose.

Not the worlds best description... any ideas though?

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their bodies
and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Stewart Robert Hinsley 20-07-2007 10:26 PM

Kent roadside ID?

In message , Les Hemmings
writes

There's a big blousy yellow flowered plant appearing on the verges here in
Kent. Large, beautiful cup shaped flowers on a spire. Three inches across
and as much deep... a bit like evening primrose.

Not the worlds best description... any ideas though?

Les

A different evening primrose? That doesn't sound like a bad description
of Oenothera biennis and the like.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Les Hemmings 20-07-2007 11:01 PM

Kent roadside ID?

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Les Hemmings
writes

There's a big blousy yellow flowered plant appearing on the verges
here in Kent. Large, beautiful cup shaped flowers on a spire. Three
inches across and as much deep... a bit like evening primrose.

Not the worlds best description... any ideas though?

Les

A different evening primrose? That doesn't sound like a bad
description of Oenothera biennis and the like.

Thanks Stewart! Now, how did that arrive here?

They really are splendid and being a delivery driver i see lots of them in
the verges... They really brighten up the place :o)

Les

Stewart Robert Hinsley 21-07-2007 09:50 AM

Kent roadside ID?

In message , Les Hemmings
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Les Hemmings
writes

There's a big blousy yellow flowered plant appearing on the verges
here in Kent. Large, beautiful cup shaped flowers on a spire. Three
inches across and as much deep... a bit like evening primrose.

Not the worlds best description... any ideas though?

Les

A different evening primrose? That doesn't sound like a bad
description of Oenothera biennis and the like.

Thanks Stewart! Now, how did that arrive here?

They self-seed readily enough; I've had them in my garden for years.
Stace has 5 species naturalised in the British Isles, of which Oenothera
glazioviana is both the commonest and the largest flowered.