Old 23-07-2007, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default NEED HELP : What kind of lawn mower ?

My electric hover mower has packed up. I want to buy a new mower.

My garden is reasonabley flat, but not as flat as a bowling green.
My hover mower was easy to use initially, but as the grass box
got heavier it got harder to push. The suction mechanism was not
as efficient as I liked it to be, I always ended up with a line
of cut grass on the side. I am wondering whether a wheeled type
is going to do a better job than the hover mower. Would it be
any easier to push along? Would it be more efficient in vacuuming
the grass?

I do not want a petrol engine mower, and I can spend up to £100,
or (if there is a very good reason for it) perhaps £120.

Any guidance on this or any other relevant issues that you
think I have not addressed will be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old 23-07-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , mehrdad
ghassempoory writes
My electric hover mower has packed up. I want to buy a new mower.

Any guidance on this or any other relevant issues that you
think I have not addressed will be most welcome.

My personal opinion is that would dig it over and plant some vegetables.

Have you considered a battery powered mover? I recall my father owned
and operated one successfully 40 years ago and both battery and motor
technologies have come on a pace since them. Nice candidate for solar
charging too being as it does mostly sitting in the shed, even in high
summer.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features
Old 23-07-2007, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My garden is reasonabley flat, but not as flat as a bowling green.
My hover mower was easy to use initially, but as the grass box
got heavier it got harder to push. The suction mechanism was not
as efficient as I liked it to be, I always ended up with a line
of cut grass on the side. I am wondering whether a wheeled type
is going to do a better job than the hover mower. Would it be
any easier to push along? Would it be more efficient in vacuuming
the grass?

The problem with any hover mower is that the very fact that it needs a down
draught to hover goes against the suction needed to pick up the cuttings.
This is overcome by using the down draught to blow the cutting up into the
box. Keeping the box vents clean along with the hover vents always improves
performance, but requires constant attention. Almost any wheeled machine
will pick up better, be it electric or IC powered, just go for the best
quality machine you can afford.

Mike

Old 24-07-2007, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

steve auvache wrote:
In article , mehrdad
ghassempoory writes
My electric hover mower has packed up. I want to buy a new mower.

Any guidance on this or any other relevant issues that you
think I have not addressed will be most welcome.

My personal opinion is that would dig it over and plant some vegetables.

I had a talk with the management suggesting something similar,
I don't dare to do it again! I just wanted to know which one
is better: A mower with wheels or a hover mower.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Ipswich

If you can locate a Spear & Jackson mini mower than can be bought for £69 & are nice little mowers, much better than the floating oranges.

Another nice wheeled rotary mower is the Mountfield EL390R about £110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrdad ghassempoory View Post
My electric hover mower has packed up. I want to buy a new mower.

My garden is reasonabley flat, but not as flat as a bowling green.
My hover mower was easy to use initially, but as the grass box
got heavier it got harder to push. The suction mechanism was not
as efficient as I liked it to be, I always ended up with a line
of cut grass on the side. I am wondering whether a wheeled type
is going to do a better job than the hover mower. Would it be
any easier to push along? Would it be more efficient in vacuuming
the grass?

I do not want a petrol engine mower, and I can spend up to £100,
or (if there is a very good reason for it) perhaps £120.

Any guidance on this or any other relevant issues that you
think I have not addressed will be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Regards,

Paul