Old 24-07-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default **** Rabbits

For the second time in less than a month, I have planted out some 20
cabbages and carefully netted over and around them but the rabbits have had
the lot. Add to that the problems with the weather, and our veg patch is
looking very sorry.

A friend solved the rabbit problem by putting close mesh wire fencing round
his patch and instead of burying it in the soil (where they will just burrow
underneath anyway), he has left it about 2-3" above ground. That way, they
don't know to burrow and try to just go under the fence and get zapped. It
works for him but as our veg patch is against the glasshouse, I am not sure
we can do the same.

So my question is - what veg won't rabbits go for? Our sweetcorn, onions and
broad beans seem to be intact but runner beans, peas, carrots, parsnips,
celery and lettuce have all been "rabbitted" - some worse than others.

Jeanne

Old 24-07-2007, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
[...]

I think it depends how hungry they are. Given the circumstances they will
eat any plants - including stripping bark off fruit trees! I put in some
mesh buried about a foot to 18 inches deep and bent outwards like a capital
letter L. So far no rabbits have got in despite having lots of them here in
open countryside. I think this is the only satisfactory measure against
rabbits.

David.

Old 24-07-2007, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote:

[...]

In my experience, rabbits will eat almost anything! They don't like
strong flavours, so the onions usually get away with it. In the past
I've seen a few tentative nibbles, and that's about it. Why not create
an onion "wall" ? I've not tried it, but it might work. when I had a
rabbit problem (don't have it now) I just put up with it, as the various
measures made life difficult, and I really didn't want to look out on a
plot of chickenwire and stakes.

Regarding burial of wire, I am told that 6 inches is enough, but I've
never tried it. You could try a raised bed with a fence edge, I don't
think the rabbits will burrow down for something that's high up, but you
never know!

One year I put out food for them (shop rabbit food), and it seemed to
slow them down a bit, but nothing stopped them completely.

Good luck, I think though it will be a long battle, and they usually win

Hope it helps

Dom
Old 24-07-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 24/7/07 15:28, in article ,
"Jeanne Stockdale" wrote:

[...]

Electric rabbit fencing.
http://www.electricfencing.co.uk/KeepOut.asp

As David wrote there is no need to bury the wire mesh, just bend it at
90 deg in the direction of attack. A fence makes sense, there is no
other 100% solution. Even then you need to inspect it periodically and
keep it growth. Works for me, before I even had to put guards on small
trees as they love the young bark!

Old 24-07-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
On 24/7/07 15:28, in article ,
"Jeanne Stockdale" wrote:

[...]

The ate the bark off all our young fruit trees last Winter, killing one
tree, so now they all have protective guards on.

David.

Old 24-07-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
For the second time in less than a month, I have planted out some 20
cabbages and carefully netted over and around them but the rabbits
have had the lot. Add to that the problems with the weather, and our
veg patch is looking very sorry.

Air rifle at dawn? They really are very tasty you know! Rabbit is one of
the leanest, nicest flavoured meats I know of.

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 24-07-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan Holmes writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Electric rabbit fencing.
http://www.electricfencing.co.uk/KeepOut.asp

I hope the voltage is high enough to kill the beggars!

In the immediate post-war period, my mother erected an electric
mini-fence to protect her laboratory windowsill salad crops. Her boss
(an eminent scientist) giggled at the 'beware - electric fence' sign,
--
Kay

Old 25-07-2007, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
For the second time in less than a month, I have planted out some 20
cabbages and carefully netted over and around them but the rabbits
have had the lot. Add to that the problems with the weather, and our
veg patch is looking very sorry.

Air rifle at dawn? They really are very tasty you know! Rabbit is one of
the leanest, nicest flavoured meats I know of.

I'll second that!

I agree, however it is impossible to protect your crops that way. The
b*ggers breed faster than you can shoot them.

Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Rabbits Y United Kingdom 4 19-11-2003 06:03 PM
Rabbits and lawn fertilization Sigurd Kallhovde Lawns 0 12-10-2003 11:22 PM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
Rabbits! John Hutchison United Kingdom 18 03-03-2003 03:24 AM