GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Every rose has its thorn(?) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/162222-every-rose-has-its-thorn.html)

adder1969 26-07-2007 01:48 PM

Every rose has its thorn(?)

I have some climbing/rambling roses which I thought had no thorns,
having pruned them for years and never noticed any but yesterday I was
out snipping and ouch! So what's going on? Some growth has thorns
and some doesn't!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 26-07-2007 02:23 PM

Every rose has its thorn(?)

In message .com,
adder1969 writes
I have some climbing/rambling roses which I thought had no thorns,
having pruned them for years and never noticed any but yesterday I was
out snipping and ouch! So what's going on? Some growth has thorns
and some doesn't!

Possibly you have suckers from the rootstock. Alternatively a sport,
perhaps a reversion to the parental type.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley