Old 27-07-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Default "Red Wine headache"

"" This may be one reason why those sensitive to "red wine headache"
experience the problem with oaky young Bordeaux. (Too much "toast" in
the barrels.) ""

I have just picked this comment up over red wine giving one a headache. I
suffer this syndrome and thought it was 'just me' until I met others with
the same problem.

However, am I correct in saying that it is not all red wines, but those
produced in a certain way which is the problem, and if so, what do I look
for on a wine list which will be compatible?

I was out to Dinner in Coventry on Saturday and the young lady I took was a
red wine drinker, I was white. It would have been so much easier and we
could have had a bottle had we both been on red.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 27-07-2007, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

'Mike' wrote:
"" This may be one reason why those sensitive to "red wine headache"
experience the problem with oaky young Bordeaux. (Too much "toast" in
the barrels.) ""

I have just picked this comment up over red wine giving one a headache. I
suffer this syndrome and thought it was 'just me' until I met others with
the same problem.

However, am I correct in saying that it is not all red wines, but those
produced in a certain way which is the problem, and if so, what do I look
for on a wine list which will be compatible?

I was out to Dinner in Coventry on Saturday and the young lady I took was a
red wine drinker, I was white. It would have been so much easier and we
could have had a bottle had we both been on red.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Mike

There is a simple answer, stick to rum! Alternatively drink in
moderation, two bottles of white wine give me a headache! ;-)
Old 27-07-2007, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

'Mike' wrote:
"" This may be one reason why those sensitive to "red wine headache"
experience the problem with oaky young Bordeaux. (Too much "toast" in
the barrels.) ""

I have just picked this comment up over red wine giving one a headache. I
suffer this syndrome and thought it was 'just me' until I met others with
the same problem.

However, am I correct in saying that it is not all red wines, but those
produced in a certain way which is the problem, and if so, what do I look
for on a wine list which will be compatible?

I was out to Dinner in Coventry on Saturday and the young lady I took was a
red wine drinker, I was white. It would have been so much easier and we
could have had a bottle had we both been on red.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Mike

I find I can occasionally have a single glass of a light red and get
away with it, but a heavy red, in any quantity, *always* gives me a
migraine the next day.

White doesn't affect me much, unless I have an enormous amount -
although it takes less of a heavily oaked chardonnay to give me a headache.

I STR reading somewhere it has something to do with the amount of tannin
in the wine - I cannot remember if the oak barrels add extra tannin.

--
Anne Chambers,
South Australia
Old 27-07-2007, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:41:58 +0100
Broadback wrote:

'Mike' wrote:
[...]

That's a good answer! Two bottles of anything will give me a headache
too.

Since I posted the original comment, I'll respond here.

Red wine headache is thought to come from over heavy use of sulfites
or excess of tannins, both associated with barrel aging. However many
wines are not (traditionally, although "style" is going more and more that
way) barrel aged. Most people don't get red wine headache when they
drink such wines.

To stay away from wines aged in wood, look to the Rhone valley of France,
(grenache based Cotes du Rhone), the Loire valley (cabernet franc based
wines such as Chinon), Spanish garnacha, etc. Try US wines from the
"Rhone Rangers" like Bonny Doon. Or Zinfandel. Avoid most Cabernet
sauvignon or Shiraz based wines. Most people who have the condition get
it from Bordeaux, which is usually aged in wood. Could go on and on....

Another option is to take an anti-histamine before partaking, if you have
an allergy. (I'm sure there's lots of good reasons not to do this, too).

The bottom line is that without specific information it will be difficult to know
how an individual wine is made. A reason why it is perhaps better to shop
at Berry Bros than Tesco!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 27-07-2007, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Broadback wrote:

'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Wonderful, thank you.

Just what the Doctor ordered :-)

Old 27-07-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"'Mike'" wrote in message

I was out to Dinner in Coventry on Saturday and the young lady I took
was a
red wine drinker, I was white. It would have been so much easier and
we
could have had a bottle had we both been on red.

and to the person who emailed me with the message "You dirty old man" and
added a ;-) , it was a business meeting, with of all people the Food and
Beverages Manager (had I known I could have asked him) of a big hotel in
Coventry with reference to a Dinner Dance I have organised for October. We
stayed overnight at the hotel, but decided to out for Dinner to a nice
little place we found during our walk out to Coventry Cathedral in the
afternoon.

Old 27-07-2007, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"Anne Chambers" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

I'm suddenly not feeling so bad about being unable to stand red wine. It all
tastes like vinegar to me, even some quite expensive ones I've tried when
wine lovers have told me "You're not drinking the right ones, try this".

Steve

Old 27-07-2007, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

, I, Marvo, say :

'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Do you like tea?

I can't stand the stuff, and I don't like most red wine either, for the same
reason.

Tannin. Smells and tastes awful to me. I can't sit within six feet of a cup
of tea.

Old 27-07-2007, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"shazzbat" wrote in message

I'm suddenly not feeling so bad about being unable to stand red wine. It
all tastes like vinegar to me, even some quite expensive ones I've tried
when wine lovers have told me "You're not drinking the right ones, try
this".

Steve

Why should you 'feel bad about it'?

Be 'you' and state what you think. People will respect you more for it and
as you can see, my comments have opened the subject up and we have all
learnt something by it.

On another newsgroup/forum I opened a subject up with a very carefully
worded statement and question on a very delicate subject. The thread went
into great lengths of discussion and 'opened up' what people didn't really
want to talk about, but 'did' want to talk about if you see what I mean. As
it dwindled out, I was congratulated and thanked on opening the subject up.

Carefully and without insult, say what you feel and think. Only a few poor
souls will take umbrage :-)

Kind regards

Old 27-07-2007, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

'Mike' wrote:
Carefully and without insult, say what you feel and think. Only a few
poor souls will take umbrage :-)

Kind regards

.... and they can safely be ignored)

Old 27-07-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

[...]

I should rephrase "feel bad". I'm not embarrassed or ashamed of it, I just
wish that I could enjoy it like others obviously do.

Although that has now lessened somewhat.

And I do like tea, but prefer coffee.

Steve

Old 27-07-2007, 11:25 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:

Do you like tea?

I can't stand the stuff, and I don't like most red wine either, for the same
reason.

Tannin. Smells and tastes awful to me. I can't sit within six feet of a cup
of tea.

Interesting - and something I hadn't thought of. I can (and do) drink
black tea till the cows come home - I wonder if it's the combination of
tannin & sulphites in red wine that causes the migraines ?

Old 27-07-2007, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"shazzbat" wrote in message

I should rephrase "feel bad". I'm not embarrassed or ashamed of it, I just
wish that I could enjoy it like others obviously do.

Do you apply that philosophy to smoking as well, or are you a smoker?

Mike
non smoker for life

Old 27-07-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Red wine headache is thought to come from over heavy use of sulfites
or excess of tannins, both associated with barrel aging.

Probably the tannin. I don't think it's the sulphite (spelling?) because
they seem higher in white wine than red.

Old 27-07-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"shazzbat" wrote in message I should
rephrase "feel bad". I'm not embarrassed or ashamed of it, I just
wish that I could enjoy it like others obviously do.

I am the same as you. I have given up trying to drink red wine. The
hangover is dreadful too I drink white wine or gin and never have a
headache or a hangover!!

Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Roy "Tristain" Hauer's "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 03:39 PM
red, red, red rose [email protected] Gardening 4 26-04-2005 04:16 PM
Red currant wine...yum rdoiron Edible Gardening 1 10-10-2003 06:42 PM
headache lawn quaspro Lawns 5 11-07-2003 05:18 PM
Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer Daze Bonsai 0 26-01-2003 05:35 AM