Old 30-07-2007, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT OT Excel ??????

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in
message ...
, I, Marvo, say :

Shouldn't your email address read 3s&6d?

:-)

My, you are a youngster then :-))

I wish.

3d & 6d mean nothing to you? Woolies mean nothing to you? ;-)

3/6d does. I thought Woolies was a penny, once :-)

Innocence of youth ;-)

I wish.

"Woolworths The 3d and 6d Stores"

All in red bold rounded 3D letters on a cream background. I can see
it now. The stores in their distinctive Cream and Red decor and fancy
ceilings. I can see the one at Kingston on Thames where I lived at
the time :-) Very early 1940's era ;-)

Good memory. I remember Woolies well, I was a "Saturday Boy" in the
Guildford one when in the sixth form. They went decimal while I was there,
and I remember the lady on the fruit and veg, Peggy her name was, she used
to say "ten noo, please" instead of "two bob". Confused, we all were.

Threepence and sixpence. Those were the days. The days before I was born,
I think :-)

By Jove you've got me digging back now! I can see the sign over the stores,

3d ..... F.W.WOOLWORTH ......6d

all in red on a cream background and I believe a framework

Sorry sonny, you're toooooo young to remember ;-)

Best wishes

Old Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 30-07-2007, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.woolworths.plc.uk/1940s-byebye6d.htm

Old 30-07-2007, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

It was red and gold in my day, I remember, though dimly.

Sorry sonny, you're toooooo young to remember ;-)

I can't remember much these days. I blame the alkyhool.

Best wishes

Old Mike

You too

Young Marv.

Old 30-07-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

By Jove you've got me digging back now! I can see the sign over the
stores,

3d ..... F.W.WOOLWORTH ......6d

all in red on a cream background and I believe a framework

It was red and gold in my day, I remember, though dimly.

Sorry sonny, you're toooooo young to remember ;-)

I can't remember much these days. I blame the alkyhool.

Best wishes

Old Mike

You too

Young Marv.

Your right :-)) Red and GOLD! The picture in the link I put up shows it.

Old 30-07-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Your right :-))

That's a first

Red and GOLD!

It wasn't real gold. Rather like this "Rolex" I have on :-)

The picture in the link I put up shows
it.

Just seen it. Good bit of Brit history there!

Old 30-07-2007, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:00:28 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

I have just tried that Chris and when I move to the next cell the 0 drops
off :-((

Weird! Works OK for me!

Seems the format, cells, text is the best one to use. I just highlight the
complete column before I start and away I go. It will only be one column of
5 or 6 (at the moment) but there will be 1000's of entries of which I would
guess only 2% will lead with a 0, but they HAVE to be sortable with the rest
of the columns when I do change column priority :-)

There will be no mathematical calculations

Many thanks everyone

Mike

--
Chris

Old 03-08-2007, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 09:24:00 +0100, "'Mike'" wrote:

I wish to put numbers in a cell which commence with a '0'. For example 067
but when I go to the next cell, the number reverts to just 67.

I can get over it by putting an 'O' (capital o), but this then does not Data
Sort properly.

Can anyone help please?

Mike

select the range of cells that you want to display numbers in this
format. Use the commands:
format, cells..., Number, Custom

type
000

into the "Type" text box.

This will display as 067, and you will still be able to do calculations
on the number.

If you enter it as "text" by typing single quote 67 ( '67 ) you will
no longer be able to do calculations with it.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark4asp" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that Mark.

Calculations will not be required as they are reference numbers relating to
columns 1, 3, 4, 5 and possibly a couple more which MUST all stick together
when sorted into different listings according to different columns. For
example numerical with col 2 as one table, but a complete sort with col 3
which is alphabetical and then again as col 4 which will be alphabetical.

The complete listings in their 'sort', must take all references with them
ready for printing.

Hope that makes sense.

Massive book :-((

Old 04-08-2007, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Massive book :-((

Mike

Make sure you take regular backups of your files to CD, memory stick or
other media and preferably ask someone else (a family member) to keep the
copies at their house.
The lost count of the number of times over the years I've heard the sad tale
of people writing a book or PhD thesis on a computer only for the hard drive
to fail or computer get nicked - and no backup copies!

The reason for keeping backups "off-site" is in case of a fire. People
commonly keep backup disks in a draw next to their computer which of course
become useless too. If you are concerned about third parties looking at your
backups then simply password protect them, or use WinZip with encryption and
a password.

A question I'm commonly asked is "How often should I do a backup of my
work" - I always give the same reply "How much work are you prepared to lose
and have to re-do?"

David.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you David. I do do that, not often enough I must say, but I did do a
massive back up a few days ago.

The majority I have on computer is data and a few 'epistles'.

Most of the work I do is passing information on to others. I am a sort of
'base' and that is why I have been asked to give lectures and give talks of
'Special Interest'.

A lap top linked to the latest type of projector is a god send now. Two
pieces of equipment and no books/lecture notes :-)) THAT is why back up is
so important :-))

Thanks again