GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need some help identifying some plants..... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/162533-need-some-help-identifying-some-plants.html)

Easy 01-08-2007 10:36 PM

Need some help identifying some plants.....

hello,
I am currently doing a project on identifying some plants, but was stuck on identifying a number of them! I was wondering if it is possible for someone here to help me?

The project is all about Planting design, and this too is something I am struggling with. Im asked to comment on the aesthetic and functional contribution of each species to the planting scheme now and in the future, and was wondering how to comment successfully and in a mature way instead of just saying that 'the plants look pretty'.

Are there any nuggets of wisdom people here can bestow on me to relate to planting design?

Sorry for the million questions from a newbie!
I will try and get the plant photos uploaded later on and I will post the links!
Thank you !

JennyC 02-08-2007 09:41 AM

"Easy" wrote in message

hello,
I am currently doing a project on identifying some plants, but was
stuck on identifying a number of them! I was wondering if it is
possible for someone here to help me?

The project is all about Planting design, and this too is something I
am struggling with. Im asked to comment on the aesthetic and functional
contribution of each species to the planting scheme now and in the
future, and was wondering how to comment successfully and in a mature
way instead of just saying that 'the plants look pretty'.

Words and phrases like : wafting, contrasting leaf shape, adds height to the
border, colour combination with ..., colour contrast with.... etc spring to
mind :~))

Are there any nuggets of wisdom people here can bestow on me to relate
to planting design?

Sorry for the million questions from a newbie!
I will try and get the plant photos uploaded later on and I will post
the links!
Thank you !

Jenny

Easy 02-08-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyC (Post 735978)
"Easy" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for that!

heres some images I have of plants which I cant currently seem to idenitfy.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...uly2007112.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...uly2007115.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...uly2007128.jpg
(the one with massive leaves)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...uly2007150.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...uly2007149.jpg
(these last two are the same, a very furry plant).

thank you again for any help anyone can provide

K 02-08-2007 08:09 PM

Need some help identifying some plants.....

Easy writes

hello,
I am currently doing a project on identifying some plants, but was
stuck on identifying a number of them! I was wondering if it is
possible for someone here to help me?

We love doing that! There's always a mad scramble to get the right
answer first ;-)

The project is all about Planting design, and this too is something I
am struggling with. Im asked to comment on the aesthetic and functional
contribution of each species to the planting scheme now and in the
future, and was wondering how to comment successfully and in a mature
way instead of just saying that 'the plants look pretty'.

There's lots of reasons to plant plants apart from looking pretty - for
example:

Size and shape - a tall plant for the back, or to break up the
uniformity of height of the border, a traily plant to tumble down a wall
or soften the straight edge of a path, big bold plant to act as a focal
point for a view

Leaves - big bold leaves or spiky ones to provide a contrast to all the
soft fluffy ones. Golden or silver variegation to brighten the tone.
Autumn colour to keep the interest going later in the season

Stems - particularly coloured ones for winter interest

Colour of flowers, pinks and quiet blues for quiet atmosphere, brighter
colours for excitement, particular combinations that look good together

scent - eg where you brush against it, or round a sitting area

Type of plant - aromatic herbs, silver leaves plants, succulents for hot
sunny atmosphere, ferns, big green leaves, creepers for jungly
atmosphere

purely practical reasons - eg ground cover, dense planting to reduce
weeding need, hard wearing plants which might be walked on

You probably take all of these into account, but ideas into words can be
hard, especially if the actual design side is something that comes
naturally to you.
--
Kay

K 02-08-2007 09:33 PM

Need some help identifying some plants.....

Easy writes

heres some images I have of plants which I cant currently seem to
idenitfy.

http://tinyurl.com/2c54js

Globe thistle, Echinops ritro

http://tinyurl.com/yrfjx8

Tiger lily

http://tinyurl.com/28ke2o
(the one with massive leaves)

Rheum (ornamental rhubarb)
If it's coarser texture with spiny rather than smooth stem and spiny
leaf veins on the underside Gunnera

http://tinyurl.com/2fms3w
http://tinyurl.com/ypn786
(these last two are the same, a very furry plant).

Familiar plant, but I've never bothered to find out what it is - I don't
like it ;-) Lamb's ear, Stachys lanata?

--
Kay

Easy 20-08-2007 10:20 PM

Wow, thank you very much K for helping identify those plants, the Stachys was Stachys byzantia!
Thanks for identidfying them, it has helped me enormously, thank you!

I just have two more, and thats it! I have tried identifying them but am struggling, I have managed to identify about 30 others myself with the help of books.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...r/P1010160.jpg
sorry this is a poor photo

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...r/P1010149.jpg
the one with yellow flowers on.