Old 02-08-2007, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb!!!!!!

I have been trying to kill a patch of rhubarb, weed killer won't do it, so I
have been trying to dig it out (down to 4 foot), and it still goes down
further than that.
Is there a easy way to do it.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 2, 10:42 pm, "Roger" wrote:

Pathclear perhaps? Seems to kill off everything in its way.
Available at all gardening shops; B & Q etc

Definitely not Pathclear! As its name suggests it is a nasty
persistent weedkiller intended only for use on PATHS. Using it off
licence will only cause problems - notably that nothing much will grow
in the soil for at least 6 months afterwards and you won't want to eat
anything that does for a fair while after that.

Glyphisate or a broad leaf specifici weedkiller will get it. Just be
patient!
BTW How long have you waited before saying that weedkiller didn't
work?
A translocating weedkiller like glyphosate in a big bulky plant can
take 3-4 weeks to take full effect. First signs are yellowing of the
new growth.

You might even find some neighbours who want a decent sized rhubarb
plant to dig it out and take it away.

Regards,
Martin Brown

"Dgethin" wrote in message

I have been trying to kill a patch of rhubarb, weed killer won't do it, so
I have been trying to dig it out (down to 4 foot), and it still goes down
further than that.
Is there a easy way to do it.- Hide quoted text -

Old 03-08-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dgethin wrote:

I have been trying to kill a patch of rhubarb, weed killer won't do it, so I
have been trying to dig it out (down to 4 foot), and it still goes down
further than that.
Is there a easy way to do it.

Maybe cutting off the leaves everytime they appear will help? I
understand there may be a nice backup stored in the roots, but they're
only half the feeding system so perhaps you can exaust your plant into
extinction. I heard they liked a lot of compost, so maybe not using that
either. Good luck!

(although why someone would want to do without rhubarb is beyond me.
)

Greg

--

No ficus = no spam
Old 04-08-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gregoire Kretz" wrote in message
Dgethin wrote:

I have been trying to kill a patch of rhubarb, weed killer won't do it,
so I
have been trying to dig it out (down to 4 foot), and it still goes down
further than that.
Is there a easy way to do it.

I do wonder if rhubarb will grow from those roots, the rhubarb I have grown
allways has a faily large lump from which the stalks grow, I would have
thought that a minor root would just die.

Have you tried just leaving it for the moment and see whether it does
regrow?