Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default is it necessary to prick out seedlings?

Hi If I only need a dozen plants of tomatoes and peppers etc is it better to
sow the seeds 2 to a 3 inch pot and pull out the weakest or sow a dozen
seeds in a small tray then prick them out to 3 inch pots? Or is pricking out
only done to save space in the propagator?

Thanks Jan.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janice
writes
Hi If I only need a dozen plants of tomatoes and peppers etc is it better to
sow the seeds 2 to a 3 inch pot and pull out the weakest or sow a dozen
seeds in a small tray then prick them out to 3 inch pots?

Pricking out, however careful you are, damages roots and cannot be as
good as raising your plants in small plugs or something like peat blocks
or pots and then moving on to something larger.

Or is pricking out
only done to save space in the propagator?

Yes, mostly.

There is an alternative, not as satisfying but an alternative. This
year, because I was late moving the greenhouse (actually too damn lazy
when I shouldn't have been) to it's new sunnier home, I bought my
tomatoes, sweet peppers and cucumber from a local garden centre. The
results are good enough that I may consider doing the same next year.

--
steve auvache
Old 10-08-2007, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 23:22:43 GMT, "Janice"
wrote:

Hi If I only need a dozen plants of tomatoes and peppers etc is it better to
sow the seeds 2 to a 3 inch pot and pull out the weakest or sow a dozen
seeds in a small tray then prick them out to 3 inch pots? Or is pricking out
only done to save space in the propagator?

Thanks Jan.

Tomatoes - I put individual seeds in seed tray - about 24 seeds to
tray.
When they are big enough (1st set of real leaves) I put each in a
three inch pot (use all of them).

When ready to transplant in to ten-inch pots select the ones you want
and give the others away.

Rose prick infection Jack Gardening 12 08-08-2005 12:50 AM
tree spraying necessary? jin Lawns 3 24-09-2003 11:12 PM
Pump filter - necessary or not? Meoww Ponds 10 22-08-2003 12:06 PM
CO2 diffuser - not necessary Michael Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 20-04-2003 06:20 AM