GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hard pruning Calocephalus brownii (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/163241-hard-pruning-calocephalus-brownii.html)

Chris Hogg 19-08-2007 09:53 AM

Hard pruning Calocephalus brownii

I have one of these (aka Leucophyta brownii, aka Cushion bush) in the
garden, that has outgrown it's position and needs to be cut hard back.
(It's a low-growing wiry-looking shrub of intense silver, the tiny
leaves hugging the stems, and with little dull yellow flower heads
about now. Slightly tender) The RHS encyclo talks about pruning the
flowering stems back a bit in spring ('pruning group 10'), but nothing
about hard pruning to re-shape it. Will it survive hard pruning? I'm
going to take some cuttings soon anyway in case it doesn't like it.
But should I prune it now, to allow the possibility of a little
re-growth before the winter, or leave it until the spring?

Anyone know? Any suggestions?

--
Chris