Old 27-08-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default onions and garlic

can you help increase my yields of onions and garlic.
I wish to grow garlic and Japanese onions over winter this year and am not
sure the best time to plant out. I live in south Devon uk TIA Jan.

Old 27-08-2007, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jan Jansen" wrote
can you help increase my yields of onions and garlic.
I wish to grow garlic and Japanese onions over winter this year and am not
sure the best time to plant out. I live in south Devon uk TIA Jan.

We found the over wintering onions a waste of time, only a couple of weeks
earlier than spring planted and we used to lose a lot over winter. Garlic
can be planted in late September or October so it gets up and growing before
the very cold weather, it will then continue to grow in any warm spell
during the winter, toughest plant there is.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-08-2007, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jan Jansen" wrote in message
can you help increase my yields of onions and garlic.
I wish to grow garlic and Japanese onions over winter this year and am not
sure the best time to plant out. I live in south Devon uk TIA Jan.

We had massive crops with the overwintering onion 'Summer Gold' from
Marshalls and are trying it again this autumn. For the last two years I have
planted the sets directly through well rotted compost/manure and it seems to
make a difference
http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/rkm...1008&XPAGENO=2

Old 27-08-2007, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jan Jansen" wrote in message
can you help increase my yields of onions and garlic.
I wish to grow garlic and Japanese onions over winter this year and am not
sure the best time to plant out. I live in south Devon uk TIA Jan.

Hi Jan,

I live on the coast, in West Sussex, and grow both onions and garlic.

I usually plant Japanese onion sets (I don't know why they called Japanese
onions, though I've an idea, but I'm sure someone will tell us!) in
September/October to over-winter and main crop onion sets in, about, March,
however, it, obviously, depends when the onion sets are available and where
you live in the UK.

I really had bad trouble with both the Japanese and main crop onions this
year, for the first time. This was due to the drought we had in March/April
for about four weeks (when we thought our Summer had started early!!!) and
low temperatures and heavy rains that followed until a few days ago (when we
thought that Summer was over and the monsoon had begun!).

Our crops were small and neck-rot a serious problem. Normally I don't have
too much of a problem and growing the Japanese onions provides a good supply
until the main crop are ready, a few months later..

I plant garlic bulbs in either March (that's when I buy garlic bulbs from
the Supermarket and the growing season is shorter) and September/October
when bought from a garden centre or garlic grower and then they have a
longer growing period because they over-winter.

I had a very bad case of Garlic Leaf Rust this year and that crop, as well
as the onion, was not too successful because of it.

Onions can either be bought as sets or seeds and for the first time, this
year I have bought seeds (Thompson & Morgan Hi-Keeper) to sow in the next
few weeks for over-wintering, instead of Japanese onion sets.

I've never done this before but I wanted to try seeds instead of sets
because this year (back in March) I didn't have enough onions in the set so
had to go out, a few weeks later, and buy some onion plantlets from the
local garden centre. They looked so small against the onion bulbs that I
didn't think they'd come to anything but, a few weeks later they looked
bigger and healthier than the bulbs..

The packet says that they are to be sown from mid-August to September but
instructions and sowing times will, again, depend on the variety.

A good web-site for information on gardening (flowers and most vegetables,
though for some reason they don't mention Broad Beans), is GardenAction at
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/.

I use this site a great deal as it does give very good information and
sometimes better than any of the gardening books I have.

I usually buy my garlic from a local garden centre but, this year, a few
weeks ago, I bought 5 bulbs from a place called "The Garlic Farm" , on the
Isle of Wight - their website is at http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

The bulbs were quite a bit more expensive (postage has to be added) but were
also in much better condition and great deal larger than those sold in the
garden centre. I asked for help, by email, and got a very quick reply
telling me what I wanted to know.

Normally, I can get about ten cloves from a garden centre garlic head but
these appear to have twelve or more.

There are, I'm sure other gardening websites and other garlic growers but I
can only tell you what I have used and found.

I hope this helps and that I've not forgotten to tell you anything that I
intended..

Regards and all the best

John

Old 28-08-2007, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jan

I did over winter onions - planted oct last year the best crop ever - beat
the crop we planted spring for harvest now. Very poor summer harvest this
year
Still eating our over winter onions which they say is not very good at
keeping after around 6 weeks.
We put them in trays in the g/h this year - still going strong.

Garlic - normally grow good - have tried isle of wight garlic - usually ok.
This year after planting sept/oct lost the lot - 50 gloves all rotted - too
much rain and not enough drainage on my clay allotment.
hope this helps

Alan and Sue

North of Portsmouth

Old 28-08-2007, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan McKenzie" wrote
I did over winter onions - planted oct last year the best crop ever - beat
the crop we planted spring for harvest now. Very poor summer harvest this
year
Still eating our over winter onions which they say is not very good at
keeping after around 6 weeks.
We put them in trays in the g/h this year - still going strong.

Garlic - normally grow good - have tried isle of wight garlic - usually
ok.
This year after planting sept/oct lost the lot - 50 gloves all rotted -
too much rain and not enough drainage on my clay allotment.
hope this helps

We tried Solent Wight this year, first time we have ever had a disaster with
Garlic, luckily we also planted other varieties that did as well as usual.
We will not be using Solent Wighht again.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-08-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Bob,

Oh dear! Oh dear! Oh Dear! Guess which garlic I have bought to plant this
Autumn!

Yes, you're right, no prizes given - Solent Wight!

I assume, Bob, you bought it from "The Garlic Farm" (or similar) on the Isle
of Wight becaue that's where I bought mine from? Did you contact them to
complain and if so, what was their answer? I'm interested in knowing whether
it was The Garlic Farm or not as the email conversation I had with them
impressed me very much (as did the garlic heads I received) but, perhaps, I
jumped to the wriong conclusion.

My garlic (Germidour) was not good this year due to the heavy rain we had
and the garlic leaf rust that killed off the top growth and caused me
dig them up earlier than I should have.

Could I ask which other varieties you planted, please, (and which you
thought the best) as I well may have to consider buying others myself for
planting this Autumn!!!?

TIA

Regards,

John

Old 29-08-2007, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John,

although lost all my iow garlic this year - didn't blame it on the source -
the garlic farm have a stall at the emsworth food festival which i believe
is around this time maybe this weekend.
I have grown iow garlic well in my raised beds at home.
Felt that this year in my newly acquired half allotment - lots of clay -
ground was too wet - hence the rot.
Had no trouble at all on my raised beds at home.
Have this year sourced from dobies a garlic collection which has i believe
five different types of garlic - due for delivery late sept - try and look
online may still be able to order if interested
I like to try different sources and different types - then after my own
trials decide which to go for each year.
This year tried 3 different earlies and 3 lates, 145 seed pots planted -
will try more of the 150 varieties available on potato day usually feb at
the name of the place escapes me but they are held throughout the country -
at these days you are also able to pick up garlci onions challots etc. at
least half the price if not less off the catalogue prices.

Alan
North of Portsmouth

Old 30-08-2007, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Alan,

Sorry I misunderstood! I shall go ahead, much happier now, with my Solent
Wight! I will try different types but I've got limited room on my allotment
and I've only allowed for about 60 garlic bulbs on one of my raised beds.

Because it sounded interesting, I checked the dates of the Emsworth Food
Festival, on the Internet and, luckily, it's not this weekend but runs from
Friday 14th to Sunday 16th September so I may well go as I only live along
the coast, in Worthing, and the A27 is a good road (outside of the rush
hour, that is!)

I, too, am doing more-or-less the same thing you, obviously, are - looking
into and trying different crops and different varieties until I find the one
on which I want to settle - the one that suits me - the one that I want to
grow in future until I get bored and want to try something new!

My allotment is all raised beds but I had a dreadful case of garlic leaf
rust that killed all the leaves on the bulbs so they had to be lifted. The
result is a poor crop of garlic this year.

Thanks for all the information. If you remember the name of the place where
the Potato Day you were talking about is held, I'd be pleased to know. I'll
search the Internet for any local to me, anyway.

Thanks again,

John

__________________________________

Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi John
The 11th potato day is held on 27th and 28th January 2009 at Testbourne
community centre micheldever road whitchurch
follow this link for detailed info
http://thewhitchurchweb.org/potatoday/index.htm

Old 02-09-2007, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Alan.

I think I'll try to make it this coming year (2008, that is!) though it's
some distance from Worthing and, as far as I am concerned, at the wrong time
of the year! That's because I don't like driving in the winter weather (I
hate snow and the dark nights) but I'd like to go. However, the winters of
late haven't been too bad.