Old 27-08-2007, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default lawnflite help please OT a bit perhaps

Hi every one sorry to bring a probable of topic post to this very fine
group. I have just been given a lawnflite garden tractor. Having spent a
little time tinkering with it I managed to get it running. BUT if I let the
choke close it stops unless I place my hand over the air intake (which of
course is more or less the same effect.) My neighbour tells me that the carb
that is fitted to mine is not a good one (Crap was the term he used) I am
wondering if any one else in here has similar experiences with one of these
engines or perhaps has any idea what other carb may be used. I am thinking
along the lines of a motorcycle carb as the mower ones seem to be rather
crude. I will not be using it for mowing nor mower racing even though that
kind of sounds like fun. It will be used mainly to tow a small trailer with
my other mowers to and fro to my garage which is about a mile from my home.
It is a briggs and stratton 319cc engine electric start. Thank you for
reading this.
JOHN
www.g7bwi.co.uk

Old 27-08-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John White" wrote
[...]

Go to ...
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?DocID=78498
and see if they have a manual for this engine.

From what you say it is suffering from fuel starvation, that is too much air
and not enough fuel, so when you cut down the air it still runs. Maybe an
adjustment problem or the carb is full of what your friend said. :-)
Personally I'd carefully take the carb to bits, on a clean table so as to
not lose any bits, clean out and reassemble. If you damage the gasket then
cereal packets make good gaskets.
If the problem still persists then look for adjustment, perhaps you can move
the needle up a notch or two if that's possible or turn the mixture screw if
there is one.
Good luck, simple engine/carb so can't be too much to go wrong.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-08-2007, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.lawn-mower-shop.com/carb2.htm

Says "Item 19 has to be clean for the engine to run more than a few seconds"

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...uretor&spell=1