Old 30-08-2007, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangeas in frozen north?

How do they get on over wintering in e.g. Gateshead? Could someone with
personal experience please let me know.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-08-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:50:13 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

How do they get on over wintering in e.g. Gateshead? Could someone with
personal experience please let me know.

Well, I'm not in Gateshead but I'm just as far North.

I have four Hydrangeas in my garden that must be ten years old. They
flower every year. They were blue and lacy, now they are pink and
solid. pH!

Steve

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com
Old 30-08-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
How do they get on over wintering in e.g. Gateshead? Could someone with
personal experience please let me know.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

They are looking lovely at the mo in Aberdeen - I have one which has grown
on outside in a pot for a few years now, with no ill effects - left out
summer and winter - rain or very occasional shine :-)

Chris S

Old 30-08-2007, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/07 16:32, in article , "Chris S"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
How do they get on over wintering in e.g. Gateshead? Could someone with
personal experience please let me know.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

They are looking lovely at the mo in Aberdeen - I have one which has grown
on outside in a pot for a few years now, with no ill effects - left out
summer and winter - rain or very occasional shine :-)

Good. I think it's probably worth a try, anyway. I'll suggest he takes
some cuttings as a precaution.

Old 30-08-2007, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:50:13 +0100, Sacha wrote:

How do they get on over wintering in e.g. Gateshead? Could someone with
personal experience please let me know.

I'm in North Tyneside and there are hydrangeas all over the place. My dwarf
one has been flowering since April on buds formed last year. Where I live
it is difficult to keep them blue.
It is among 10 hardy fuchsias which overwinter. I am nearer the sea than
Gateshead so slightly milder.
The frozen north is not so frozen anymore.
I lost an expensive acer japonica, but suspect that was a dry spell and
cold winds.
You will find Gateshead quite dry compared to anywhere West of the
Pennines.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 30-08-2007, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/07 17:03, in article
, "Jim S"
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:50:13 +0100, Sacha wrote:

How do they get on over wintering in e.g. Gateshead? Could someone with
personal experience please let me know.

I'm in North Tyneside and there are hydrangeas all over the place. My dwarf
one has been flowering since April on buds formed last year. Where I live
it is difficult to keep them blue.
It is among 10 hardy fuchsias which overwinter. I am nearer the sea than
Gateshead so slightly milder.
The frozen north is not so frozen anymore.
I lost an expensive acer japonica, but suspect that was a dry spell and
cold winds.
You will find Gateshead quite dry compared to anywhere West of the
Pennines.

Thanks, Jim. I know he has other Hydrangeas so I think he knows how to look
after them. This is a very new introduction and I wanted to send something
a bit special.

Old 31-08-2007, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:35:49 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 31/8/07 15:20, in article ,
"Elizabeth" wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:50:01 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 30/8/07 14:10, in article
,

wrote:

How do they get on over wintering in e.g. Gateshead? Could someone with
personal experience please let me know.

Well, I'm not in Gateshead but I'm just as far North.

I have four Hydrangeas in my garden that must be ten years old. They
flower every year. They were blue and lacy, now they are pink and
solid. pH!

Steve

Many thanks, Steve. I want to send someone H.'Pink Twisty' as a 'thank you'
for some help he's given me with family research and I just wanted to be
sure it would be safe 'up there'. ;-)

Even further north in Scotland they do extremely well!! At least on
the west coast they do :-)
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply

Ah but you get a bit tropical over that side. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

My hydrangeas are doing fine in my garden on the eastern side (Dundee)
thank you very much (;-)). No problems with winter in recent years.

Geoff

Old 12-09-2007, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Even further north in Scotland they do extremely well!! At least on
the west coast they do :-)
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply

Ah but you get a bit tropical over that side. ;-)

Just back from Orkney and saw them flourishing there!

Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply

North or North-East? deebs United Kingdom 20 11-03-2010 05:09 PM
North north west facing garden - perennial border ideas Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 4 17-02-2005 10:34 PM
frozen pipes Drew Lovasi Ponds 4 16-02-2003 05:51 AM
Frozen Pipes? BenignVanilla Ponds 4 05-02-2003 11:40 PM
re Frozen Pipes? John Rutz Ponds 0 05-02-2003 05:10 PM