GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The smell of newly cut grass? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/164240-smell-newly-cut-grass.html)

A.Lee 31-08-2007 08:05 PM

The smell of newly cut grass?

Is it just me, or does grass not smell as it used to?

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but whenever I used to cut the grass,
you'd always get the lovely smell of it, now, I very rarely get the
smell.

Are my nostrils showing their age, or is this a known phenonemon?
Ta
Alan.

Mogga 31-08-2007 08:25 PM

The smell of newly cut grass?

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:05:39 +0100, (A.Lee) wrote:

Is it just me, or does grass not smell as it used to?

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but whenever I used to cut the grass,
you'd always get the lovely smell of it, now, I very rarely get the
smell.

Are my nostrils showing their age, or is this a known phenonemon?
Ta
Alan.

Doesn't it need to be sunny for the grass to smell right?
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Christopher R. Lee[_2_] 31-08-2007 08:46 PM

The smell of newly cut grass?

(A.Lee) wrote:

Is it just me, or does grass not smell as it used to?

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but whenever I used to cut the grass,
you'd always get the lovely smell of it, now, I very rarely get the
smell.

Are my nostrils showing their age, or is this a known phenonemon?
Ta
Alan.

Doesn't it need to be sunny for the grass to smell right?

Nope.
Most public and private contractors seem to work according to a timetable
that was fixed 10 yearspreviously, when the contract was signed. It smells
the same, snow, rain, floods, hail or sunshine.

Regards

John White 31-08-2007 10:17 PM

The smell of newly cut grass?

not smell as it used to?

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but whenever I used to cut the grass,
you'd always get the lovely smell of it, now, I very rarely get the
smell.

Are my nostrils showing their age, or is this a known phenonemon?
Ta
Alan.

I think the addition of a good old mower burning good old 4-star makes a
difference. I clearly remember the smell in my youth.
Bring back 4-star get the garden smelling right .
I am of course just kidding.........Or am I.
JOHN
www.g7bwi.co.uk

Don[_4_] 01-09-2007 01:37 AM

The smell of newly cut grass?

If I recall correctly, the smell of freshly cut grass is due to the presence
of sweet vernal grass (Anthoxanthum odoratum). This is not found in today's
lawn mixtures and was always really a weed in lawns.

However, I do still smell that wonderful evocative scent from time to time -
especially when it is hot and sunny. So its still about.

Someone said that the grass contained toxins which gave it that
characteristic smell. But this might be wrong.

regards
Don

Kate Morgan 01-09-2007 06:46 AM

The smell of newly cut grass?

Yes the smell is still about in my garden and I love it, the smell I dislike
very much is Herb Robert,

kate

La Puce 01-09-2007 02:45 PM

The smell of newly cut grass?

On 1 Sep, 01:37, "Don" wrote:
If I recall correctly, the smell of freshly cut grass is due to the presence
of sweet vernal grass (Anthoxanthum odoratum). This is not found in today's
lawn mixtures and was always really a weed in lawns.

Hey, that's interesting. Didn't know that, thank you :o)