Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Erythrina cristagalli

Is anyone growing this outdoors and leaving it out over the winter/ If so,
could I ask in what location?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-09-2007, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Is anyone growing this outdoors and leaving it out over the winter/ If so,
| could I ask in what location?

Yes. In the warmest sun-trap I have, next to the conservatory. Its
growth couldn't take even last winter, but regrew quite happily from
ground level. Unfortunately, I haven't yet got it to do so vigorously
enough for it to flower - I don't think that it likes our lukewarm
springs.

I am, of course, attempting to grow it only in its herbaceous mode;
its shrubby mode is quite out of the question with me.

I had some plants in pots, in cause it was the combination of cold
and wet that they dislike, but they effectively died. It works for
some plants, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/9/07 13:30, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Is anyone growing this outdoors and leaving it out over the winter/ If so,
| could I ask in what location?

Yes. In the warmest sun-trap I have, next to the conservatory. Its
growth couldn't take even last winter, but regrew quite happily from
ground level. Unfortunately, I haven't yet got it to do so vigorously
enough for it to flower - I don't think that it likes our lukewarm
springs.

I am, of course, attempting to grow it only in its herbaceous mode;
its shrubby mode is quite out of the question with me.

I had some plants in pots, in cause it was the combination of cold
and wet that they dislike, but they effectively died. It works for
some plants, though.

Great information, Nick and thank you. The pundits say it will go to -10 if
covered with a thick mulch. We were interested to know what experience
people have of growing it in colder conditions than we have here because we
think the trouble with us will be wet soil, unless we put it in a well
drained spot - something that can be hard to find in this garden!

Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Great information, Nick and thank you. The pundits say it will go to -10 if
| covered with a thick mulch. We were interested to know what experience
| people have of growing it in colder conditions than we have here because we
| think the trouble with us will be wet soil, unless we put it in a well
| drained spot - something that can be hard to find in this garden!

I may rig up a snail house, er, cover for it this winter and see if
that helps.

As I have posted before, I managed to get Passiflora incarnata to go
(flowering now!) by planting it in the rain shadow of the house,
where its roots can run out. And Cyclamen coum is almost completely
hardy and will even naturalise itself in such conditions (which may
include under conifers).

I don't know if that trick would help with it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/9/07 13:48, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Great information, Nick and thank you. The pundits say it will go to -10
if
| covered with a thick mulch. We were interested to know what experience
| people have of growing it in colder conditions than we have here because we
| think the trouble with us will be wet soil, unless we put it in a well
| drained spot - something that can be hard to find in this garden!

I may rig up a snail house, er, cover for it this winter and see if
that helps.

As I have posted before, I managed to get Passiflora incarnata to go
(flowering now!) by planting it in the rain shadow of the house,
where its roots can run out. And Cyclamen coum is almost completely
hardy and will even naturalise itself in such conditions (which may
include under conifers).

I don't know if that trick would help with it.

I think we're likely to plant it in the tea room bed which is very wide,
sloping and has some tree cover. We tend to try slightly dodgy things there
and it's where Ray put the hideous (in my eyes) Beschorneria for example.
There's even a Puya growing there, so the Erythrina should be okay, if we
can find space! The house borders are pretty well crammed, though now I
think of it, there is a Fuchsia not doing terribly well that could come out.
BTW, I've been meaning to ask for ages - years ago I sent you a Dahlia
imperialis to try at the Botanic Garden. Did it ever do anything or did it
just turn its toes up?
Getting P. incarnata going is something of a triumph for you. It's really
lovely.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
Is anyone growing this outdoors and leaving it out over the winter/ If so, could I ask in what location?
Suggest you read this discussion on another forum, if that is not rude:
http://www.ukoasis.co.uk/viewtopic.p...ight=erythrina
Old 04-09-2007, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Full sun for as long as possible is the key to making Erythrina
happy. It can behave almost as an herbaceous perennial in cooler
areas, but given good growing conditions in summer, it can easily make
enough growth to flower well in July/August each year. In coastal
regions with little frost, it can be grown in the open border where it
will become quite large - sizeable shrub to almost a small tree. In
colder regions, the protection of a sunny, south facing wall will
ensure its survival even if it is cut to the ground each year.

Erythrina develops a very thick, woody, somewhat tuberous root-stock
with numerous 'eyes' on the subterranean portions of the stem that
will sprout if the top growth is knocked back by frost. A thick mulch
can be provided as extra insurance, but I remember several plants
growing in the south borders at Edgebaston Botanical Gardens that were
never mulched. In those days of 'proper winters', they never failed
to put on a good show.

Sacha, I would avoid planting under trees, even if there is a fair
degree of light and a very high canopy. You are more likely to get
straggling stems that don't die back nor many flowers. The borders
against the house walls are far more suitable. The reflected heat
from the walls will encourage strong, fast growth culminating in large
clusters of flower.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is anyone growing this outdoors and leaving it out over the winter/ If

so,
could I ask in what location?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

There is an old outdoor one at Rosemoor and another at the garden house, but
all my seedlings die mysteriously after a few months so I have given up!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/9/07 16:38, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

Sacha;745101 Wrote:
Is anyone growing this outdoors and leaving it out over the winter/ If
so, could I ask in what location?

Suggest you read this discussion on another forum, if that is not
rude:
http://tinyurl.com/2zbeyx

That's *very* useful and helpful. Thank you.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Sep, 16:38, echinosum
wrote:
Sacha;745101 Wrote: Is anyone growing this outdoors and leaving it out over the winter/ If
so, could I ask in what location?

Suggest you read this discussion on another forum, if that is not
rude:http://tinyurl.com/2zbeyx

Evenin' Echinosum - long time no seen! Dave Poole often contribute to
UKOasis. Small world ;o)

Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/9/07 22:44, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is anyone growing this outdoors and leaving it out over the winter/ If

so,
could I ask in what location?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

There is an old outdoor one at Rosemoor and another at the garden house, but
all my seedlings die mysteriously after a few months so I have given up!

Perhaps Ray will be able to send you one, Charlie. He's hoping for lots of
seed off the one we have flowering in the big double atm. It's such a
fascinating flower and so beautiful in its lovely drooping racemes (?) that
I'd love to see it in the garden.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Sep 4, 4:38 pm, echinosum
wrote:

Suggest you read this discussion on another forum, if that is not
rude:http://tinyurl.com/2zbeyx

Ah - yes .... There was a very tall plant of Erythrina at the nursery,
in shade between the greenhouses and the garden. Ray pointed it out
to me quite a few years ago and from what I remember it never flowered
and just carried on getting gradually taller. I haven't seen it
recently and until that discussion on UK Oasis, I had forgotten all
about it.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Sep 4, 10:58 pm, wrote:

Evenin' Echinosum - long time no seen! Dave Poole often contribute to
UKOasis. Small world ;o)

Not often, only rarely nowadays and with increasing infrequency.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/9/07 23:59, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

On Sep 4, 4:38 pm, echinosum
wrote:

Suggest you read this discussion on another forum, if that is not
rude:
http://tinyurl.com/2zbeyx

Ah - yes .... There was a very tall plant of Erythrina at the nursery,
in shade between the greenhouses and the garden. Ray pointed it out
to me quite a few years ago and from what I remember it never flowered
and just carried on getting gradually taller. I haven't seen it
recently and until that discussion on UK Oasis, I had forgotten all
about it.

The one Ray and I were discussing last night is in a pot in the big double,
in flower and with lots of buds to come. He's hoping to get quite a lot of
seeds off it. The flower is really fascinating with a sort of 'hose in
hose' effect, which is the best way I can think of describing it, though not
very satisfactory! And the Petrea volubilis is having a small but vivid
surge of re-flowering. That's the most wonderful shade of blue. There's
another Petrea I have fallen in love with and want to get from Guy.
http://www.plantsman.com/images/cons...arePlantGa.jpg