Old 06-09-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Default Crispy Faerie Holler and other news..........

Hello friends, Maddie here. It's been awhile since I posted something.
I see on the earlier posts that thanks to the kindness of friends, there
was quite a little stir caused when my last post was put on the
newsgroup three times. I'm honored! And had no idea those whom I sent
the posts to at the library would be so kind....LOL and of course the
flame was enjoyable to read as well. I knew I was loved, but never knew
how much! Thanks and wish I could hug each and every one of you for
being there for me. You know who you are--

Well, a short update is in order, and here it comes...........those who
do NOT want to read this, close it and move to the next post please....

My life has taken a turn for the incredibly happy and fortunate lately.
Over the last year, I have realized that I was in a terminally deficient
marriage that was verbally abusive and which left me not only
despondent, but had me questioning my reason for even sticking around.
Never mind that I had friends and acquaintances who gave me encouraging
words. Literal words of love and affection from friends whom I've not
met only through the written word, a few phone calls, cards, etc. Those
who were close and could hug me weren't enough either. There was
something seriously lacking.

I was snapped out of my despondency by the incredible realization that
there was someone out there who not only filled the needs of my soul and
heart, but someone who respected me and would love me for everything
that I was and wasn't without question. I stumbled across my true soul
mate, my beshert as the yiddish word is wont to be, the other half. The
missing piece. This man I'd called friend for over four years and who
had kept silent about his own feelings about me, because I had never
told him my anguish and pain through the conversations we had over the
phone. He kept his heart and mouth silent as he realized how much he
cared and felt over the years. He was and still is a gentleman, and
only when he asked my permission when he returned to England to write me
a letter last year, did he reveal his true feelings of love and
affection towards me. My own heart had been shrieking at me for a long
time, but when you're as wounded and tired as I was, one tends to be a
bit wary of what seems at first to be foolishness. And we don't always
listen to our hearts........

But ever the optimist, I had held my tongue merely because I didn't want
to cross a line and run off a true friend. Foolish me! Had I but
opened up like I do to EVERYONE ELSE, I'd have had happiness way sooner
and wouldn't be going through all the anguish and craziness I am
currently going thru.

This man, my heart and other half is a gardener. He writes. He loves
music, and adores me. He has been raising his youngest son (of three)
now for 10 almost 11 of the lad's 16 years now. The teenager is
phenomenal. A rare one in this world today, he's centered and quiet,
focused and his wit is razor sharp. We're bonding like super glue......

The dawgs adore him. Smeagol whines and cries at his door (the boy's)
to sleep with him, and ALL the felines think he's awesome. I am happy
for the first time in my life. It's just strange to have a step son who
is the age of my grand daughters! LOL now a bit of gardening
updates.......

Today we both went outside into crispy Faerie Holler and did some
whacking and lopping of dead, dying and crispy limbs and shoots. The
trumpet vine has been topped and cut. It will return. The yellow ball
buddelia has been cut to the ground. As has one of the two Crispa
spirea. All the rampant shoots of the Sorbaria (False Spirea) were
removed from their attempts at jumping the concrete along side where we
park, and the Cornelia Cherry tree (twig leaf Dogwood) was given a limb
lift, James doesn't like limbs in his face knocking off his glasses.

I watered containers deeply, the sucking sounds were horrible. The only
stalwarts blooming are the swamp sunflowers. Their perky over sized
Coreopsis like blossoms are everywhere. The hummer strafed me as he
searched in vain for nectar in the Blue Enigma salvia. There are
TOMATO'S on the vines I planted whilst talking on the phone to James
when he was still in England back at the end of Spring. Aunt Ruby's
Green and some Sungold cherry tomato's are fast approaching edibility.
I put them in the front faerie gardens....

Obedient plants are blooming as well, the sedums and succulents are
delirious with this dry sucking heat wave we've been trapped in now for
weeks. Frakartii asters are setting buds, I missed one of the fall
colchicum's blooming, hoping I haven't lost the bulbs in the other pots.
As I watered, butterflies lit and supped minerals out of gratitude.
The bird baths refilled were bone dry. I need to make sugar water for
the hummers.........refill the suet baskets with the never melt stuff,
no seeds for them. funds are tight.

I might be losing Faerie Holler, but if I do, I will keep everyone
posted as to where I wind up and where the next location of Faerie
Holler will be. Things are not good on the financial front. Jobs
aren't readily available for myself, nor James, despite his experiences
and maturity. We prevail and expect for things to come out hopefully
good, despite the looming threat of foreclosure and other
things.....divorce is never easy, despite best intentions and lack of
animosity. Nuff said about that, eh?

The faerie's are all hunkered down around here, sulking. Mom's Nature
is culling out the plants I can't take with me. Some beloved things
will NOT be left behind if I lose my home of 12 years. Pruned hard and
dug up after a deep watering and put into nursery pots, I will take them
to Gloria's up in the foothills of Hemlock Holler soon. Some things I
will have to leave behind. I have a mental list of what WILL come no
matter what. I have enough house plants to keep everyone busy in this
house for awhile, and sometimes it's just good to walk outside once the
heat has subsided and listen to the woodpeckers and the squacking of the
hummers as they careen past each other. James has been home with the
woman he loves dearly now for 3 weeks, and I wish with all my heart that
he can experience fall, winter and true spring here. We'll see.........

What I've given him is my love and life for as long as I'm here. And
I've shown him Faerie Holler and given him the magic that it holds each
day he's been here. He's been able to go outside and despite that he
has tenitis, has heard the woodpeckers, cicada's, peepers, and the
silence that offers a peace he'd not known in Bournemouth this past
year. He's wakened up to see Lord Baltimore hibiscus blooming scarlet
red skirts just outside the bedroom window, and watched the antics of
the assorted winged dinosaurs as they squabbled over the suet basket I'd
hung beside the Heavy Metal ornamental grasses. He's seen and smelled
the seven foot 4 o'clocks that hang over the sidewalk out front, and
watched me as I labored to gather seeds of the yellow and not the
magenta.....He's been taken down into the true holler and seen the
potential that we both know it has always had, and if we have the chance
to hang onto it, it will be wondrous......

He's been able to step outside and just feel nature all around him, and
he hears and makes me laugh all the time. Those who meet him, or see us
together claim we appear as if we've been together for decades. We have,
despite the "real time" we know each other very very well.......

The only thing we haven't done yet is garden in the rain....and since
it's so dry, the figs are all covered in ants, so he's only tasted two
so far......I garden now with someone who loves it as much as me, and
someone who works alongside of me easily. We've slipped into each
other's routines and habits like a hand into a glove.

My love and hugs to all of you who hold a special place for me, please
make room for a gentle and kind eyed Englishman who has taken his
rightful place alongside his Maddie........and just off to the side of
him, a mischievous, incredibly blue-eyed young man stands next to his
best friend and partner in jokes and teasings........

I will write as I can.

maddie, up on the very crispy and tinder dry ridge, back in Faerie
Holler, overlooking a hazy English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone
7, sunset zone 36
Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 00:33:11 +0100, madgardener wrote
(in article ):

Hello friends, Maddie here. It's been awhile since I posted something.
I see on the earlier posts that thanks to the kindness of friends, there
was quite a little stir caused when my last post was put on the
newsgroup three times. I'm honored! And had no idea those whom I sent
the posts to at the library would be so kind....LOL and of course the
flame was enjoyable to read as well. I knew I was loved, but never knew
how much! Thanks and wish I could hug each and every one of you for
being there for me. You know who you are--

Well, a short update is in order, and here it comes...........those who
do NOT want to read this, close it and move to the next post please....

snip

Maddie, thank you for your gentle and moving update. I do hope with all my
heart that you can find a way to stay in Fairie Holler and that all goes well
with you all.

[Posted to URG only]

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 06-09-2007, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/9/07 09:33, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

[...]

And I, Maddie. I hope you're happy and gardening blissfully in the years to
come. I didn't marry Ray until I was 54 and I can only recommend the joys
of later unions. ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-09-2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Faerie Holler is a state of being, not any certain place. I took a
25' x 25' piece of city back yard of ugly, weedy, nasty troll lair
and converted it into my enchanted garden in 4 years. The garden was
all in my mind when I started with the flat patch. Gradually I copied
the garden out of my mind and onto the real world. The real garden
exists in my mind, the "hard" copy is a faint representation of that,
a mere work in progress.

It is what we all do in winter. Our hard copy is under snow and we
cant be without our gardens so we turn inward and visit our inner
gardens in our mind, read gardening books, magazines, catalogs, and
now the internet and begin to add, rearrange, change our inner gardens
for the next year.

So, Maddie, no matter where you go you will take Faerie Holler with
you. Now with your true love beside you perhaps it is fated that you
meant to create a new Faerie Holler, a blend of both your inner
gardens.

I didnt find my true love until I was 36. I had preferred being alone
rather than not being with him. I was worried if I was busy and
distracted by someone else I would miss the call to my true love. So
I had to be happy and busy and out everywhere in the world I could be,
and meet as many people as I could so I would be in the right place at
the right time.

So, Maddie, how lucky you are that you found him. When isnt as
important as it happened.

Ingrid
Old 06-09-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

Faerie Holler is a state of being, not any certain place. I took a
25' x 25' piece of city back yard of ugly, weedy, nasty troll lair
and converted it into my enchanted garden in 4 years. The garden was
all in my mind when I started with the flat patch. Gradually I copied
the garden out of my mind and onto the real world. The real garden
exists in my mind, the "hard" copy is a faint representation of that,
a mere work in progress.

It is what we all do in winter. Our hard copy is under snow and we
cant be without our gardens so we turn inward and visit our inner
gardens in our mind, read gardening books, magazines, catalogs, and
now the internet and begin to add, rearrange, change our inner gardens
for the next year.

the way you wrote and shared these thoughts of yours is so
awesome. most would never dare share such thoughts. for
whatever reason you chose to do so I'm glad I was able to
read what you wrote.

the magic meadow is the place that will always exist in my
mind. long after the actual real place was destroyed I
carried the thoughts and memories of times spent there with
me as a reminder of how we can continue to enjoy what was
and is no longer.

So, Maddie, no matter where you go you will take Faerie Holler with
you. Now with your true love beside you perhaps it is fated that you
meant to create a new Faerie Holler, a blend of both your inner
gardens.

I didnt find my true love until I was 36. I had preferred being alone
rather than not being with him. I was worried if I was busy and
distracted by someone else I would miss the call to my true love. So
I had to be happy and busy and out everywhere in the world I could be,
and meet as many people as I could so I would be in the right place at
the right time.

So, Maddie, how lucky you are that you found him. When isnt as
important as it happened.

Ingrid

love to me is a magical mystery and most likely one of the
elements of the physical human experience that is never really
the same in any two people. when asking others to define their
experiences and thoughts with love the answers can vary as much
as the differences in snowflakes, while the general consistency
of the idea being where two attempt to do no harm unto one another.

peace

Old 06-09-2007, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 6, 12:33 am, madgardener wrote:
The only thing we haven't done yet is garden in the rain....and since
it's so dry, the figs are all covered in ants, so he's only tasted two
so far......I garden now with someone who loves it as much as me, and
someone who works alongside of me easily. We've slipped into each
other's routines and habits like a hand into a glove.

What a love story - be happy Maddie, forever.

Judith

Old 06-09-2007, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 6, 12:33 am, madgardener wrote:
The only thing we haven't done yet is garden in the rain....and since
it's so dry, the figs are all covered in ants, so he's only tasted two
so far......I garden now with someone who loves it as much as me, and
someone who works alongside of me easily. We've slipped into each
other's routines and habits like a hand into a glove.

In message om,
" writes
What a love story - be happy Maddie, forever.

Judith

Have been so sad for you, Maddie, so happy for you now, want to add my
best wishes to everyone else's!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 5, 7:33 pm, madgardener wrote:
Hello friends, Maddie here. It's been awhile since I posted something.

*snip*

maddie, up on the very crispy and tinder dry ridge, back in Faerie
Holler, overlooking a hazy English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone
7, sunset zone 36

Hi Maddie, nice to read you again! So glad things have started turning
around for you...Don't worry, the rest will all fall in place in it's
own time! (A new place sounds rather exciting to me! LOL)

Prayers,
Rae

Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 6, 1:45 pm, raeannsimpson wrote:
On Sep 5, 7:33 pm, madgardener wrote:

Hello friends, Maddie here. It's been awhile since I posted something.

*snip*

maddie, up on the very crispy and tinder dry ridge, back in Faerie
Holler, overlooking a hazy English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone
7, sunset zone 36

Hi Maddie, nice to read you again! So glad things have started turning
around for you...Don't worry, the rest will all fall in place in it's
own time! (A new place sounds rather exciting to me! LOL)

Prayers,
Rae

Hi Maddie! Even though we don't know each other, I have followed some
of your postings for some time, mourned your absence and now rejoice
your return! As Ingrid wisely says, Faerie Holler is but a state of
mind. You and your true love will always abide in its fragrant
embrace. I didn't find my true love till I was 50 (after years of
marital misery) so I cheer for you and your courageous decisions.

Deb

Old 07-09-2007, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

my inner garden is walled to stop winter from creeping in. I spent
vacations in New Orleans and I am very influenced by their little
walled gardens, dripping with moisture. I am very much a woodland
nymph type person, I love the high trees and cool understory filled
with ferns. I eschew loud colored flowers. Yellow and white, maybe a
bit of blue. But the greenness of the foliage is all. Ingrid

Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Oh Maddie! I'm so glad to hear that you are safe and happy and loved!
I'm sorry to hear about the uncertainty of the Faerie Holler but will
keep you in my prayers. Please take lots of photos which will help you
during sad times. I know just hearing about it helps me through my sad
times. I still have some photos that you sent me and hope I will get
to visit you before the Faerie Holler moves.

loonyhiker (Pat)

Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

my inner garden is walled to stop winter from creeping in. I spent
vacations in New Orleans and I am very influenced by their little
walled gardens, dripping with moisture. I am very much a woodland
nymph type person, I love the high trees and cool understory filled
with ferns. I eschew loud colored flowers. Yellow and white, maybe a
bit of blue. But the greenness of the foliage is all. Ingrid

here in central NC we are in the middle of an extreme severe
extraordinary drought. as a result the wild flowers I usually
enjoy were not available this year. the garden yield was not
up to par and the forest is crunchy dry. it is so dry here a
spark from anything could result in the creation of a raging
inferno whose turbulence most likely surpasses anything I have
imagined in my worst nightmare. God is my keeper and with His
grace bestowed upon me I rest in His love knowing full well of
how all things are granted unto me by His grace. so, I don't
dwell on the the thoughts of the big fire and rebuke them each
time they attempt to mess up my day by depriving me of my peace
of mind.

I live on God's farm where I grow soybean as the main crop on
the open land with a small produce garden to fill my pantry and
supply some others. the forest are my favorite with their
cool heavily shaded secret areas. people don't realize how it
can be 10 to 15 degrees cooler in a forest with it's heavy
canopy blocking the intense rays of the sun. in one particular
spot there are springs bringing cool water from within the earth
creating a special freshness in the air not found else where.
the springs supported several different varieties of ferns along
each bank of the small creek flowing and twisting through the
forest on it's way to a man made pond located at the forest's
edge. this year, it's dry and uninviting. last year it was a
wonderland of beauty. a place I believe you'd have found to be
enchanted.

peace and tranquility 2U,
Jim
Old 08-09-2007, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Hi Maddie,
How wonderful to see you post and read of your incredible happiness. I've
been wanting to take a drive to Faerie Holler and revel in your hospitality
and your gardens, and enjoy a glass of your iced tea, play with the dogs and
cats. Maybe sometime soon...

Love to you and yours,
Gloria