Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT speaking of mozzies

"Sacha" wrote ...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

Any formula with a high percentage of DEET (50%+) will be OK, some of the
online outdoor co's do excellent stuff for serious outdoor travel...
http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/acti...ect_repellents

Don't get it on your synthetic clothes or on any plastics, it's that
powerful!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-09-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/9/07 13:59, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

Any formula with a high percentage of DEET (50%+) will be OK, some of the
online outdoor co's do excellent stuff for serious outdoor travel...
http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/acti...ect_repellents

Don't get it on your synthetic clothes or on any plastics, it's that
powerful!

Urrrgh! Thanks Bob - it sounds terrifying!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

As many here have recommended Deet, including Mike, there's no need to
recommend it further.
In addition to the usual biters, we now have to worry about West Nile Virus
which has arrived here in the last couple of years or so, carried by one
species of mozzie. I have been working outside a lot this summer,
landscaping, establishing a freshly sodded lawn and building a retaining
wall. However, I hate spraying my skin with Deet (I also hate sunscreens
but they are a necessary evil) so I sprayed my Tilley hat and long-sleeved
t-shirt with a few squirts and it seems to have worked.
Graham

Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Don't get it on your synthetic clothes or on any plastics, it's that
powerful!

Urrrgh! Thanks Bob - it sounds terrifying!
--
Sacha

No problem with :-----

When we went on our World Cruise, because of where we were visiting we took
"Jungle Formula Insect Repellent" Available from Boots all the year round
because of travellers and available in Spray, Pump Action Spray and what we
found very handy, Handy Wipes.

If it's only Turkey, this stuff will do fine. We have been there at the
height of Summer so you will have no trouble

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/9/07 16:36, in article AdeEi.135655$fJ5.41641@pd7urf1no, "graham"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

As many here have recommended Deet, including Mike, there's no need to
recommend it further.
In addition to the usual biters, we now have to worry about West Nile Virus
which has arrived here in the last couple of years or so, carried by one
species of mozzie. I have been working outside a lot this summer,
landscaping, establishing a freshly sodded lawn and building a retaining
wall. However, I hate spraying my skin with Deet (I also hate sunscreens
but they are a necessary evil) so I sprayed my Tilley hat and long-sleeved
t-shirt with a few squirts and it seems to have worked.
Graham

As long as you're wearing natural fabrics, according to Bob! But I'm with
you - I really hate gunk on my skin but I dislike mozzie bites even more.
;-(

Old 07-09-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I really hate gunk on my skin but I dislike mozzie bites even more.
;-(
--
Sacha

No problem with :-----

"Jungle Formula Insect Repellent" Handy Wipes. :-)))

Kindest possible regards

Mike

Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote

I really hate gunk on my skin but I dislike mozzie bites even more.

No problem with :-----

"Jungle Formula Insect Repellent" Handy Wipes. :-)))

http://www.jungleformula.co.uk/faq/index.html

their one that works uses 50% DEET.

There is also the Avon Cosmetics original "Skin so Soft" which is used by
lots of those visiting Scotland where the midges are OTT. Doesn't say it
repels insects but it does.

I've been using a 50% DEET every time I work on the allotment this summer
and haven't been bitten by anything yet, normally I come up in big red lumps
that itch maddeningly for days.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

according to the School of tropical medicine whatever repellant you use must
be at least 50% deets to be effective.

I have an allergy to bites at home and abroad and this was the
recommendation from the nurse at my doctors surgery.

Jungle fever is typically 50% deets, but you can also buy a repellent with a
higher concentration.

(I am yet to find out what a deet is!!)

take some hydro cortisone (sp) cream with you. if you are bitten the
antibiotics within the cream really do help. I didn't take the cream away
when we went camping in Sussex and I developed cellulitis. I had a similar
bite more recently when camping but had the cream and the bite went down
quite quickly.

also, start a regime of anti-histamines about two weeks before you go and
continue taking the tablets while you are away.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

--
Sacha

When we went on our World Cruise, because of where we were visiting we
took "Jungle Formula Insect Repellent" Available from Boots all the year
round because of travellers and available in Spray, Pump Action Spray and
what we found very handy, Handy Wipes.

If it's only Turkey, this stuff will do fine. We have been there at the
height of Summer so you will have no trouble

I've been to many places and Turkey was the worst for mozzie bites, not just
me but for other people at the resort.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

--
Sacha

When we went on our World Cruise, because of where we were visiting we
took "Jungle Formula Insect Repellent" Available from Boots all the year
round because of travellers and available in Spray, Pump Action Spray and
what we found very handy, Handy Wipes.

If it's only Turkey, this stuff will do fine. We have been there at the
height of Summer so you will have no trouble

I've been to many places and Turkey was the worst for mozzie bites, not
just me but for other people at the resort.

"Jungle Formula Insect Repellent" Available from Boots all the year
round because of travellers and available in Spray, Pump Action Spray and
what we found very handy, Handy Wipes.

:-))))))

Must have been good then :-))

Pity some people throw a deaf 'un :-))

Who are the losers?

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 18:36:33 +0100, "Space" wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
.. .

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd
love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

--
Sacha

When we went on our World Cruise, because of where we were visiting we
took "Jungle Formula Insect Repellent" Available from Boots all the year
round because of travellers and available in Spray, Pump Action Spray
and
what we found very handy, Handy Wipes.

If it's only Turkey, this stuff will do fine. We have been there at the
height of Summer so you will have no trouble

I've been to many places and Turkey was the worst for mozzie bites, not
just
me but for other people at the resort.

The Romans abandoned cities in Turkey, including Ephesus, because of the
problems caused by mosquitoes and malaria
--

Martin

and the silting up of the harbour. Ephesus 'was' a port town.

I liked the idea of the underground passageway from the Library ;-)

Mike

Old 07-09-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 18:35:30 +0100, "Space" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

according to the School of tropical medicine whatever repellant you use
must
be at least 50% deets to be effective.

Isn't that what I said?

i don't know - did you?

I have an allergy to bites at home and abroad and this was the
recommendation from the nurse at my doctors surgery.

Jungle fever is typically 50% deets, but you can also buy a repellent with
higher concentration.

(I am yet to find out what a deet is!!)

http://www.deetonline.org/faq.php#q1

"What is DEET?

DEET (N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide) is the active ingredient in most insect
repellents available in the United States that are applied to the skin.
DEET was
developed more than 50 years ago by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for
use
by our military. It was registered for use by the general public in 1957."

More scary stuff here
http://www.deetonline.org/
--

Martin

Old 08-09-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/9/07 18:35, in article , "Space"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

according to the School of tropical medicine whatever repellant you use must
be at least 50% deets to be effective.

I have an allergy to bites at home and abroad and this was the
recommendation from the nurse at my doctors surgery.

Jungle fever is typically 50% deets, but you can also buy a repellent with a
higher concentration.

(I am yet to find out what a deet is!!)

take some hydro cortisone (sp) cream with you. if you are bitten the
antibiotics within the cream really do help. I didn't take the cream away
when we went camping in Sussex and I developed cellulitis. I had a similar
bite more recently when camping but had the cream and the bite went down
quite quickly.

Can you get that otc? Just sitting in the garden, having supper,
yesterday, I was nibbled all around my ankles and have a large bite on my
inner arm that itches like mad. Some such cream would be a boon!

also, start a regime of anti-histamines about two weeks before you go and
continue taking the tablets while you are away.

I can't take anti-histamine, unfortunately. For me, it's more effective
than any sleeping tablets known to man.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

Can you get that otc? Just sitting in the garden, having supper,
yesterday, I was nibbled all around my ankles and have a large bite on my
inner arm that itches like mad. Some such cream would be a boon!

:-))

The spray/wipes I recommended are superb and the wipes fit into a handbag so
easily and are so simple to use.

Kindest possible regards

Mike

:-))