Old 08-09-2007, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT speaking of mozzies

On 8/9/07 14:53, in article , "Space"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 7/9/07 18:35, in article
, "Space"
wrote:
take some hydro cortisone (sp) cream with you. if you are bitten the
antibiotics within the cream really do help. I didn't take the cream
away
when we went camping in Sussex and I developed cellulitis. I had a
similar
bite more recently when camping but had the cream and the bite went down
quite quickly.

Can you get that otc? Just sitting in the garden, having supper,
yesterday, I was nibbled all around my ankles and have a large bite on my
inner arm that itches like mad. Some such cream would be a boon!

I'm not sure but it is worthwhile asking the doc for a prescription and
keeping close to hand in the future. I bought mine in Greece otc. i won't
leave home without it now. well, i can manage a trip to the shops ok :-)

I don't think I'll get time to go to the doctor so perhaps I can find some
in Turkey. I'll check with the local pharmacist, too. Thanks for that
advice.

also, start a regime of anti-histamines about two weeks before you go and
continue taking the tablets while you are away.

I can't take anti-histamine, unfortunately. For me, it's more effective
than any sleeping tablets known to man.

do you know you can get non-drowsy anti-histamines?

No, I didn't know that. Thanks again and yes, I'll talk to the local
pharmacist! Normally, if I have trouble sleeping (mercifully rare) I take a
tiny bit of some tablets a friend from Canada gave me called (I think)
Dorm-Aid and I go out like a light. Apparently, they were originally
intended for anti-histamine use but were found to be very effective sleeping
tablets that didn't have to be on prescription. Sounds a bit dodgy to have
them otc to me but there we are!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-09-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 15:00:59 +0100, Sacha

wrote:

On 8/9/07 14:53, in article ,
"Space"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 7/9/07 18:35, in article
, "Space"
wrote:
[...]

:-)

[...]

Don't forget to keep a copy of the prescription not everything sold
legally in
one country is legal everywhere.

Why can't you use OTS insect repellant containing 50% or more DEET? You
don't
have to put it on your body. Putting it on socks, clothes etc. and at
night on
the bed headboard or pillow is adequate.
--

Martin

Or use the wipes I have recommended???????????

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/9/07 15:50, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:44:19 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 7/9/07 18:35, in article
, "Space"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there a consensus of opinion on the best anti-mozzie spray? I'd love
have some surefire ideas before we head off to Turkey. ;-)

according to the School of tropical medicine whatever repellant you use must
be at least 50% deets to be effective.

I have an allergy to bites at home and abroad and this was the
recommendation from the nurse at my doctors surgery.

Jungle fever is typically 50% deets, but you can also buy a repellent with a
higher concentration.

(I am yet to find out what a deet is!!)

take some hydro cortisone (sp) cream with you. if you are bitten the
antibiotics within the cream really do help. I didn't take the cream away
when we went camping in Sussex and I developed cellulitis. I had a similar
bite more recently when camping but had the cream and the bite went down
quite quickly.

Can you get that otc? Just sitting in the garden, having supper,
yesterday, I was nibbled all around my ankles and have a large bite on my
inner arm that itches like mad. Some such cream would be a boon!

Calamine lotion?

Oh that does bring back memories of long summer days on the beach at home -
and the pink skinned aftermath. I'm afraid I never really became fond of
that pink blotch effect. ;-)

Old 08-09-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

It does work as an anti-irritant, other than against the Mikes of this
world.
--

Martin

Mike's recommendation of the wipes really does work. They are superb :-))

We were in really hot stuff in Australia and Malaysia and they were
wonderful.... Honest. Try them!!

Mike

Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/9/07 16:28, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 16:06:40 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip
But the anti-histamine is for after the DEET has failed me.
;-)

LOL and cheap local alcohol if all else fails? :-)

Raki? I think NOT!!

Where are you going? We still haven't had a hot holiday this year. We were
going
to go to Turkey in spring, but summer came even earlier to Turkey than last
year.

We're going to Dalyan. I've sailed quite a bit in that area but never went
to Dalyan - I think I was ill the day the rest of the crew did that trip.
It's where the turtles breed around this time of year and is a nature
reserve. Friends who have a villa there tell us that it's less built up than
other places in that region and is quieter generally.
http://www.dalyaninfo.com/fring.htm

I was last in Turkey, sailing out of Goçek about 15 or 16 years ago when
there were a couple of pontoons, a couple of tavernas and one wooden shack
which served as the village shop. I'm told that now it has a very smart
marina and a lot of posh villas! The entire area is a sailing paradise and
I think you'd love it if you haven't been there. The first time I went we
did a flotilla but with one of our group as skipper and then after that I've
sailed with friends, including a yacht I lived on for nearly a year. It's a
magical area and I have nothing but good memories of Turkey.
I was looking for gardens to see there but gardens in Turkey seem few and
far between in the "open to the public" sense. Of course, there are some in
places like Istanbul but the site I was reading says that there are very few
gardens as we know them because the Turks were a nomadic people.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/9/07 17:00, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 16:40:22 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 8/9/07 16:28, in article
,

wrote:

snip
But the anti-histamine is for after the DEET has failed me.
;-)

LOL and cheap local alcohol if all else fails? :-)

Raki? I think NOT!!

Where are you going? We still haven't had a hot holiday this year. We were
going
to go to Turkey in spring, but summer came even earlier to Turkey than last
year.

We're going to Dalyan. I've sailed quite a bit in that area but never went
to Dalyan - I think I was ill the day the rest of the crew did that trip.
It's where the turtles breed around this time of year and is a nature
reserve. Friends who have a villa there tell us that it's less built up than
other places in that region and is quieter generally.
http://www.dalyaninfo.com/fring.htm

The plane landed at the airport the first time we went there, it was the first
flight to Turkey made by the airline, the plane was greeted by a band and
girls
in national dress singing.

Dalaman airport is about an hour or so from Dalyan. The first time I flew
there it had only just stopped being military aircraft only and they were
incredibly suspicious and security conscious. It took ages to clear
immigration with every detail of everyone's passport being entered by hand
into a ledger.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/9/07 18:30, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:08:55 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip

Dalaman airport is about an hour or so from Dalyan. The first time I flew
there it had only just stopped being military aircraft only and they were
incredibly suspicious and security conscious. It took ages to clear
immigration with every detail of everyone's passport being entered by hand
into a ledger.

We flew in low over Dalyan I recognise it from the photos on
http://www.dalyaninfo.com/fring.htm .

There were hundreds of storks watching us take off. Bird strikes, wozzat?

Oh thanks. ;-))

Old 09-09-2007, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/9/07 09:09, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 23:42:58 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 8/9/07 18:30, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:08:55 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip

Dalaman airport is about an hour or so from Dalyan. The first time I flew
there it had only just stopped being military aircraft only and they were
incredibly suspicious and security conscious. It took ages to clear
immigration with every detail of everyone's passport being entered by hand
into a ledger.

We flew in low over Dalyan I recognise it from the photos on
http://www.dalyaninfo.com/fring.htm .

There were hundreds of storks watching us take off. Bird strikes, wozzat?

Oh thanks. ;-))

The hotel where we stayed in Side had an Internet Cafe, that nobody used.

Civilisation!

I'm all for it. ;-)

Old 09-09-2007, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/9/07 09:09, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 23:42:58 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 8/9/07 18:30, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:08:55 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip

Dalaman airport is about an hour or so from Dalyan. The first time I flew
there it had only just stopped being military aircraft only and they were
incredibly suspicious and security conscious. It took ages to clear
immigration with every detail of everyone's passport being entered by hand
into a ledger.

We flew in low over Dalyan I recognise it from the photos on
http://www.dalyaninfo.com/fring.htm .

There were hundreds of storks watching us take off. Bird strikes, wozzat?

Oh thanks. ;-))

The hotel where we stayed in Side had an Internet Cafe, that nobody used.

Civilisation!

Sorry - meant to add that this made me think of something else. Someone
asked Gandhi what he thought of Western civilisation. He replied that he
thought it would be a very good idea....... ;-))

Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/9/07 16:43, in article , "K"
wrote:

Space writes

wrote:
take some hydro cortisone (sp) cream with you. if you are bitten the
antibiotics within the cream really do help.

Is it antibiotics or is it simply the anti-inflammatory properties of
the steroid cream?

I didn't take the cream away
when we went camping in Sussex and I developed cellulitis. I had a
similar
bite more recently when camping but had the cream and the bite went down
quite quickly.

Can you get that otc?

Yes, from a pharmacy, but they will ask you questions as to the proposed
use - eg it is not licensed for otc for use on the face.

Try also 'anti-bite' or similar - it's basically ammonia but works
well (and smells like smelling salts)

That reminds me that my ex-mil suggested hydrogen peroxide for flea bites
after we'd stayed in a very dodgy hotel travelling through France! Can I
possibly be remembering that correctly?
I'll get the hydro-cortisone cream just in case. The bite I had on my arm
in the garden two nights ago is really irritating me and has swollen
considerably, so I don't fancy that all over my arms and legs! Someone
kindly emailed me reminding me about Skin So Soft which I've used before to
great effect. Ruffie tuffie marines use it when yomping over bits of
Scotland! The trouble is that while they can sell one of the creams as an
insect repellent in USA, Avon are not allowed to do that in UK, so I have no
idea which of their creams is the right one. Too late now, I think. ;-(

Old 09-09-2007, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The bite I had on my arm
in the garden two nights ago is really irritating me and has swollen
considerably, so I don't fancy that all over my arms and legs!

And you ignored the recommendation I sent about the wipes?

???????

???????

???????

Just because it was ME, you are prepared to suffer and moan on line
here??????????????????????

Well.

Well

Well

""And what do we think of that then Girls and Boys?""

Kindest POSSIBLE regards

Mike

Old 09-09-2007, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/9/07 17:26, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 17:09:55 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 9/9/07 16:43, in article , "K"
wrote:

Space writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 7/9/07 18:35, in article
, "Space"
wrote:
[...]

I foresee you spending your old age in a Turkish prison assuming the security
don't take it off you at the airport

Nah. My soft skin will see to that. ;-) In fact, when we were sailing a
fair bit there, I always carried hypodermic needles and airways on board the
boat. I did this on the principle that I had no idea where we might end up
and didn't want any of us getting jabbed with a used needle. So I also got
our doctor to write a letter explaining that these were for medical purposes
only and to sign his name across the sealing strips of the bag they were
carried in. I did have a nasty vision of some customs official somewhere
finding hypodermics and carting me off as a drug dealer!