Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Home-Made fertilisers

wrote in message

On 7 Sep, 16:38, "John Vanini" wrote:
Following my earlier posting on Nitro-Chalk, I would be pleased to hear
of
anyone else's home-made fertilisers (that is, if you don't mind passing
the
information on!).

I ask because, yesterday, I heard about a man on the allotment site who
makes his own by adding Growmore, stinging nettles, and horse manure to
water in a very large butt and letting it stand.

I was amazed at the size and health of his crops but I haven't managed to
see him yet, as we, obviously, go up there at different times but when I
do
I'll ask him the quatities he uses and how he uses it and hope he tells
me.

I've read of comfrey and stinging nettles (among other things) being used
but never tried it myself, as yet so I'd love to hear of other people's
favourite recipes.

I ask so many questions because I'm trying to learn as much as I can
about
gardening before any more of my body packs up and I have to give up my
beloved allotment!

Anyway, thanks in advance and my best regards,

Hi John. I wouldn't put in one bucket growmore, nettles and OM
altogether - EVER! Sounds really mad and I can't imagine what would be
the right amount for each.

Good grief. Here she goes again with more silly advice!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/9/07 16:49, in article ,
"John Vanini" wrote:
snip

So, Judith, what do you thiink of the idea? What would you suggest? Let's
have some constructive criticism and forget what's happened.

snip

John, the post to which you're replying is not from Judith Lea. She always
uses her full name when posting.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-09-2007, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 5:01 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/9/07 16:49, in article ,"John Vanini" wrote:

snip

So, Judith, what do you thiink of the idea? What would you suggest? Let's
have some constructive criticism and forget what's happened.

snip

John, the post to which you're replying is not from Judith Lea. She always
uses her full name when posting.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Certainly is not me, I put my name to anything I post. This is
another Judith, if you look she has posted here before. There is a
similar problem in the food group where I post and also another Judith
also. Anything posted with just the name Judith is not me, I am
Judith Lea.

Judith

Old 08-09-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 7, 8:20 pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 18:45:24 +0100, judith wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:59:23 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Why does it sound really mad? - just because you "can't imagine" the
proportions to use does not mean it is not a sensible idea.
Perhaps you should suggest to John that he tells the old man on his
allotment that he doesn't know what he is doing and that he should
stop and do things "your" way - despite the fact he seems to be
getting fantastic results.

Do you sometimes wonder what she smokes?
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Who?

T'aint me Martin it's that Judith who posts in the legal group and
that definitely ain't me

Judith

Old 08-09-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 4:49 pm, "John Vanini" wrote:
Good grief! Whatever is the matter, Judith? What Helene said was perfectly
sound and I took it the way it was intended.

As I said, I was told what the plotholder (supposedly) did by his neighour,
who may have got it completely wrong, but I do intend to ask the man
himself.

In the meantime, I thought that it would be interesting to find out what
others on this newsgroup thought about it or might have some idea as to the
proportions involved and if they did anything similar.

There was nothing wrong with any of the answers I got, including Helene's -
and it was my posting so if anyone had the right to complain, I did. But I
had no need - Helene thought it was mad - so, what? What's wrong with that?
It probably is!

So, Judith, what do you thiink of the idea? What would you suggest? Let's
have some constructive criticism and forget what's happened. I don't want
any flame war or anything like that - I like to get on with people - but I
don't like rudeness. It's totally unnecessary.

Regards,

John

"judith" wrote in message

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:59:23 -0700, wrote:

Hi John. I wouldn't put in one bucket growmore, nettles and OM
altogether - EVER! Sounds really mad and I can't imagine what would be
the right amount for each.

Why does it sound really mad? - just because you "can't imagine" the
proportions to use does not mean it is not a sensible idea.
Perhaps you should suggest to John that he tells the old man on his
allotment that he doesn't know what he is doing and that he should
stop and do things "your" way - despite the fact he seems to be
getting fantastic results.- Hide quoted text -

T'aint me John, shall I change my name to Judy?

Judith

Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I throw whatever I have on hand into an old 44 gallon drum which has a
plastic lid held down by a brick and top it up with water. I then let it
fester for a few weeks. I use a big garbage bin for between times and
always have one on the go and one lot brewing. The mix can include
manure from horse or cow or alpacas tied up in an old bag, weeds/plants
that I can't/don't compost (comfrey, dock, wire weed, marshamallow) and
then when I want to use it I put it into a watering can and dilute it till
it looks like weak tea and pour it from the watering can. Little and
often is the usual dosage. Old gardeners use multiple names for such a
brew and all have their favourite names. I call it "Black Jack" but there
are perhaps as many names as there are gardeners.

Ours is 'coomuckwatter' - despite what it might contain.

Mary

Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

Old gardeners use multiple names for such a
brew and all have their favourite names. I call it "Black Jack" but
there are perhaps as many names as there are gardeners.

Ours is 'coomuckwatter' - despite what it might contain.

I like it! May I borrow it please?

Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Your absolutley right! I am sometimes the first person on the allotment in
the early morning and have found myself just staring at the clouds and
listening to the birds and not wanting to drag my eyes away. Another good
sound at any time of the day, is that of someone else digging on a plot
somewhere on the other side of the allotment!

There's too much noise pollution in today's world, so it's good to get

away
from it. I hardly ever listen to the radio and seldom watch television
(except for films! - I love films especially the old black & white ones

when
there was less sex, violence, and swearing and we had to make do with a

good
story, well-acted and well-told!)

I find taking the odd excess lettuce or tomatos around to the neighbours
from time to time does wonders for building relations & lets you have good
conversations (hear gossip). Today the various neighbours got some excess
endives, broccoli and grapefruit. Had 3 good yaks and got to nose at what
they were up to (beats pulling back curtains all day).

rob

Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Judith,

I would like to apologise and I'm down on my knees (but that's because of
the what I've had to drink!) Only joking, I haven't had a drink since, well,
the last time.

I apologise again, Judith, I didn't spot the difference in the email address
and must have picked up the wrong one to reply to. My excuse is that I'm new
to newsgroups.

I like the names Judith and Judy so don't change on my account (lol)! I will
just have to look more closely at who I'm replying to.

Kindest regards,

John

ps.com...

Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Mike!

As they say, "That made oi chortle!". To coin a phrase, "Book me in Scotty!"

It seems, however, that I replied to the wrong email and now I'm wearing
sackcloth and ashes! I emailed Judith Lea instead of just Judith.

Why I wrote what I did was because I was so surprised at the vehemence that
was apparent in message. While I can understand someone being angry for a
reason , for no reason just baffles me. I felt I had to say something -
Helene didn't deserve that - no one did and it was my posting that brought
it about.

Anyway, I'm going to forget the whole thing and get on with gardening.

Thanks again, Mike.

Kindest regards,

John
__________________________________________________ __

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Good grief! Whatever is the matter, Judith? What Helene said was
perfectly sound and I took it the way it was intended.

John, there are a lot of people on this newsgroup who could do with the
following -

http://www.globalretreatcentre.org.u...ayretreats.htm
Kindest regards

Mike

snip

Old 08-09-2007, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

Old gardeners use multiple names for such a
brew and all have their favourite names. I call it "Black Jack" but
there are perhaps as many names as there are gardeners.

Ours is 'coomuckwatter' - despite what it might contain.

I like it! May I borrow it please?

Well - our royalty charges are quite steep - but, since it's you, go on
then. Just don't make a habit of it :-) You do, of course, have to pronounce
it with a Yorkshire accent - can you do that?

Mary

Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the information, FarmI,

I was wondering, though, how you manage to tie the alpacas up in an old bag!
And just who is this old bag and does she mind? We don't seem to have too
many alpacas, here, in Worthing, though I'm beginning to wonder about some
of the sheep - I saw one eating an apple from the top of the tree.

Sorry, FarmI, I find it difficult to be serious for too long. I was born a
comedian - well, at least my mother said she thought I was a joke when she
first saw me!

The council, here in Worthing, has just changed the refuse collection
system, yet again - we now have two wheelie bins. I am not drifting
off-topic because this means that I now have two large dustbins (originally
used for rubbish but hardly used now) and three large containers (originally
used for re-cycling). All these can go up to my allotment, next week and,
then, I shall, probably, try your delightful sounding concoction (lol)!

Best regards and thanks again,

John

Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 8:00 pm, "John Vanini" wrote:
Hi Judith,

I would like to apologise and I'm down on my knees (but that's because of
the what I've had to drink!) Only joking, I haven't had a drink since, well,
the last time.

I apologise again, Judith, I didn't spot the difference in the email address
and must have picked up the wrong one to reply to. My excuse is that I'm new
to newsgroups.

I like the names Judith and Judy so don't change on my account (lol)! I will
just have to look more closely at who I'm replying to.

Kindest regards,

John

" wrote in message

ps.com...

T'aint me John, shall I change my name to Judy?

Judith- Hide quoted text -

That's o.k. John, it was an easy mistake to make, you can get off your
knees now, you might crease your trousers. Tell us more about
yourself as I don't think I have seen too many of your postings. If
you want, when replying to me, you will be allowed the great honour of
calling me Judy so that there is no confusion. Now that will start
gossip as I have never invited anyone to call me that befo-))

The New Judy

Old 09-09-2007, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Sep, 16:57, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
I throw whatever I have on hand into an old 44 gallon drum which has a
plastic lid held down by a brick and top it up with water. I then let it
fester for a few weeks. I use a big garbage bin for between times and
always have one on the go and one lot brewing. The mix can include manure
from horse or cow or alpacas tied up in an old bag, weeds/plants that I
can't/don't compost (comfrey, dock, wire weed, marshamallow) and then when I
want to use it I put it into a watering can and dilute it till it looks like
weak tea and pour it from the watering can. Little and often is the usual
dosage.

What, no growmore? I thought you put 'everything' in it. Don't say I
give silly advice, but say you do things a different way. I do mix,
but I don't put growmore into it nor do I know anyone who puts
'everything' in it including growmore, as John said he had heard. I
basically made sure John understood that he cannot put just
'everything' he heard. That is all.

Don't carry on this vendetta Fran. I beg of you to stop it right now.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/9/07 20:00, in article , "John
Vanini" wrote:

Hi Judith,

I would like to apologise and I'm down on my knees (but that's because of
the what I've had to drink!) Only joking, I haven't had a drink since, well,
the last time.

I apologise again, Judith, I didn't spot the difference in the email address
and must have picked up the wrong one to reply to. My excuse is that I'm new
to newsgroups.

I like the names Judith and Judy so don't change on my account (lol)! I will
just have to look more closely at who I'm replying to.

Nice when things sort themselves out! But back to square one for a moment,
John, if I may. If you're lucky enough to have an 'old boy' on your
allotment, I'd take a LOT of notice, if I were in your shoes. Much of this
wisdom is being lost to us so don't dismiss it. It sounds as if he's taken
some of the modern and mixed it with some of the old and come up with a good
recipe. There's nothing to stop you trying his advice on one part of the
allotment and anyone else's on another part. Conduct your own research,
note the results in a diary each season and find out what works for you.
But if he's producing stupendous crops.........well - look no further would
do for me!