Old 09-09-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Home-Made fertilisers

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

Old gardeners use multiple names for such a
brew and all have their favourite names. I call it "Black Jack" but
there are perhaps as many names as there are gardeners.

Ours is 'coomuckwatter' - despite what it might contain.

I like it! May I borrow it please?

Well - our royalty charges are quite steep - but, since it's you, go on
then. Just don't make a habit of it :-) You do, of course, have to
pronounce it with a Yorkshire accent - can you do that?

Not well, but my daughter is a perfect mimic and I'll get her to coach me.
:-))

Old 09-09-2007, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Thanks for the information, FarmI,

Most welcome.

I was wondering, though, how you manage to tie the alpacas up in an old
bag!

It's a bit of a struggle, but my garden's worth it. :-))

And just who is this old bag and does she mind?

The old bag is me. Seen better days but gardening better as I get older as
I learn more and now know the short cuts which eluded me in my youth.

The council, here in Worthing, has just changed the refuse collection
system, yet again - we now have two wheelie bins. I am not drifting
off-topic because this means that I now have two large dustbins
(originally used for rubbish but hardly used now) and three large
containers (originally used for re-cycling). All these can go up to my
allotment, next week and, then, I shall, probably, try your delightful
sounding concoction (lol)!

Sounds like you now have a good supply of containers. You'll soon need more
though as I find all containers quickly find a use and then I have to do a
withdrawal rather than a deposit at the local tip.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Your absolutley right! I am sometimes the first person on the allotment
in
the early morning and have found myself just staring at the clouds and
listening to the birds and not wanting to drag my eyes away. Another good
sound at any time of the day, is that of someone else digging on a plot
somewhere on the other side of the allotment!

There's too much noise pollution in today's world, so it's good to get

away
from it. I hardly ever listen to the radio and seldom watch television
(except for films! - I love films especially the old black & white ones

when
there was less sex, violence, and swearing and we had to make do with a

good
story, well-acted and well-told!)

I find taking the odd excess lettuce or tomatos around to the neighbours
from time to time does wonders for building relations & lets you have good
conversations (hear gossip). Today the various neighbours got some excess
endives, broccoli and grapefruit. Had 3 good yaks and got to nose at what
they were up to (beats pulling back curtains all day).

rob

Couldn't agree more on that one rob. We have some wonderful neighbours, in
fact the whole neighbourhood is very friendly. Do you adopt the same policy
as me, 'You have two ears and one mouth, use them in the same proportion"?
People love to talk and if they have a problem, let them pour it out and
offer either help or sympathy.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 20:00:06 +0100, John Vanini wrote
(in article ):

snip

I apologise again, Judith, I didn't spot the difference in the email address
and must have picked up the wrong one to reply to. My excuse is that I'm new
to newsgroups.

John, I do think that part of the problem is that you always top-post. If
you snip out the irrelevant bits of whatever you are replying to (as I have
done here), and post underneath the point you are particularly replying to,
it makes it much easier to follow the conversation and much less confusing
about who is replying to whom. If you look, you will see that most people do
this on this newsgroup (and indeed all the ones that I frequent!). Better
still is to sort-of "inter-post" so that you get Point A, your response,
Point B, your response, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

I find taking the odd excess lettuce or tomatos around to the neighbours
from time to time does wonders for building relations & lets you have good
conversations (hear gossip). Today the various neighbours got some excess
endives, broccoli and grapefruit. Had 3 good yaks and got to nose at what
they were up to (beats pulling back curtains all day).

rob

Hmm, doesn't work with our neighbours. One lot eats no fruit and vegetables
(although they grow tomatoes, pears and runner beans!) and the other lot
prefers the clean ones they buy cheaply in shops.

I don't want to know what they're up to :-)

Mary

Old 09-09-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 8 Sep, 16:57, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
I throw whatever I have on hand into an old 44 gallon drum which has a
plastic lid held down by a brick and top it up with water. I then let it
fester for a few weeks. I use a big garbage bin for between times and
always have one on the go and one lot brewing. The mix can include
manure
from horse or cow or alpacas tied up in an old bag, weeds/plants that I
can't/don't compost (comfrey, dock, wire weed, marshamallow) and then
when I
want to use it I put it into a watering can and dilute it till it looks
like
weak tea and pour it from the watering can. Little and often is the
usual
dosage.

What, no growmore? I thought you put 'everything' in it.

For God's sake! You always think that people are raging a vendetta against
you but it is more a case of extreme frustration at your lack of care! You
get things so stuffed up because you appear to fail to read and understand
what they wrote, either that or you must misunderstand things deliberately.
What you've just posted is simply another such example.

I did NOT write that I put 'everything' into it. I wrote that I put
'whatever I have on hand'. If you had a lick of common sense and applied it
to all your posting, you would realise that this does NOT mean that I add
the whole contents of my potting shed.

If I put in 'everything' as you seem to think I wrote, why would that
exclude snail bait or glyphosate or mulching materials or tools or any of
the other things I have lurking in the shed?

I think about my posts before I blast off into print and you usually give
the impression that you either don't take due care or put sufficient thought
into what you want to say before leaping into print.

John wrote about an allotment. I do not have an allotment. I have never
had an allotment. I will never be in the situation where I would have an
allotment. I have only ever read about allotments or seen then through a
fence but the one thing I do know is that allotments are located in towns.
Access to the sort of good ripe, rich, manure that I can collect from my own
or neighbour's paddocks or from under my shearing shed or from my chook shed
is not going to be an easy or regular occurance for allotment holders. And
even if the allotmenteers CAN get a delivery, rather than buying it in neat
packaged bags, the sort of manure they will get is not going to be as fresh
or as useful as the stuff I can get. Too much rubbish is written about the
supposed benefits of 'aged manure'. I suspect that most people have either
never bothered to experiment with real manure, don't have access to real
manure or rely too much on book knowledge.

So, the point of the above comment is, that a) I thought about John's
situation before I posted, b) I thought about why a gardener making
home-made liquid fertiliser would include a chemical fertiliser and c) what
I would do in a similar situation.

I realised that IF I couldn't get fresh, good quality, manure, I would have
no problems adding a complete chemical fertiliser to my Black Jack EVEN IF
that mix includes horse manure. Horse manure is so mild that I treat it
more as a soil conditioner than a fertiliser, and I get my horse manure so
fresh sometimes that it is still steaming as it comes from the horse.

The whole point of liquid fertiliser is to use it regularly as a tonic and
weak feed rather than to kill the plant by using it neat. It is used
diluted. I could effectively kill plants by planting straight into fresh
chook poop straight from under the perches, but I have more sense than to do
that.

I assume that others have some degree of common sense too. We buy chemical
fertiliser in 40kg bags, but I assume that even the greenest of gardeners
has read or intuitively knows enough about plant biology not to use 40 kg of
fertiliser in a garbage bin of liquid Black Jack or to use their Black Jack
neat.

Don't say I
give silly advice, but say you do things a different way. I do mix,
but I don't put growmore into it nor do I know anyone who puts
'everything' in it including growmore, as John said he had heard.

John wrote no such thing. And this is just the sort of lack of
understanding, or lack of due care and attention to detail, that you do time
and time again that gives me and other the willies and leads you to be
clouted over the head again and again by so many people here. They don't do
it because they are nasty, they do it because time and time again you stuff
things up and you then refuse to be corrected or deny that what you wrote
was what you actually wrote.

John wrote about a man who used 3 things (I repeat, THREE things) in his
liquid manure. Where did you get the idea that the gardener John mentioned
used "everything" when only 3 (repeat THREE) things were mentioned by John?

These 3 things were Growmore, stinging nettles and horse manure. I use many
more things, always have and probably always will.

basically made sure John understood that he cannot put just
'everything' he heard. That is all.

No that is not what you wrote at all. You wrote: " I wouldn't put in one
bucket growmore, nettles and OM altogether - EVER! Sounds really mad and I
can't imagine what would be the right amount for each."

Time you took your own advice. This is truly a situation where just because
YOU do it one way, does not mean that your way is either right or the only
way or that just because you don't do it, it is MAD if someone does it
differently to how you do it.

The proof is in the pudding. John has seen the vegetables growing where the
mix he mentioned is being used. John knows that the mix works. He has been
given information on what is in the mix and he has no reason to believe that
the gardener who does put complete chemical fertiliser into his liquid
fertiliser is either mad or even the slightest bit odd. Having thought
about why the gardener might put a complete chemical fertiliser in his mix,
I also see no need to think of him as being mad or strange. I can certainly
understand why he puts in a complete chemical fertiliser inot the mix in his
particular circumstances and I can think of no reason why it would not work.

As someone who has an allotment, you should be in a better position than I
am to realise that adding a chemical fertiliser to a homne-made liquid
fertiliser is not going to be a mad idea. There is a reason why it can be
done, there is no reason why it cannot be done and there is no reason why it
wouldn't work either.

Don't carry on this vendetta Fran. I beg of you to stop it right now.

If you ever made any post which was designed to quell the extreme nastiness
of Mike Crowe, I might believe that you could actually recognise a vendetta
if it bit you on the nose. Since you have not only encouraged Mike's nasty
sorties as well as engaged in those he starts as well as initiating your
own, then you can beg all you want.

You have such a nasty posting history here that you will have to spend a
very, very long time being a very nice, decent and honest poster before you
can earn even the most basic level of civility from me.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Sep, 10:53, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
basically made sure John understood that he cannot put just
'everything' he heard. That is all.

No that is not what you wrote at all. You wrote: " I wouldn't put in one
bucket growmore, nettles and OM altogether - EVER! Sounds really mad and I
can't imagine what would be the right amount for each."

That's right - I said do not put in ONE BUCKET EVERYTING LIKE
GROWMORE, NETTLES, OM etc. What is wrong with you woman?!?!?!? And
you're from Australia, live in Australia. This is a UK forum. I've
seen you've tried to get onto the Permaculture forum but nobody
answered you back. I wondered if they're trying to avoid you like the
plage LOL!!!.

Stop trying to annoyed everybody here. It was nice when weren't here.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 9, 10:44 am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 16:07:33 -0000, "

wrote:
On Sep 7, 8:20 pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 18:45:24 +0100, judith wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:59:23 -0700, wrote:

On 7 Sep, 16:38, "John Vanini" wrote:
Following my earlier posting on Nitro-Chalk, I would be pleased to hear of
anyone else's home-made fertilisers (that is, if you don't mind passing the
information on!).

I ask because, yesterday, I heard about a man on the allotment site who
makes his own by adding Growmore, stinging nettles, and horse manure to
water in a very large butt and letting it stand.

I was amazed at the size and health of his crops but I haven't managed to
see him yet, as we, obviously, go up there at different times but when I do
I'll ask him the quatities he uses and how he uses it and hope he tells me.

I've read of comfrey and stinging nettles (among other things) being used
but never tried it myself, as yet so I'd love to hear of other people's
favourite recipes.

I ask so many questions because I'm trying to learn as much as I can about
gardening before any more of my body packs up and I have to give up my
beloved allotment!

Anyway, thanks in advance and my best regards,

Hi John. I wouldn't put in one bucket growmore, nettles and OM
altogether - EVER! Sounds really mad and I can't imagine what would be
the right amount for each.

Why does it sound really mad? - just because you "can't imagine" the
proportions to use does not mean it is not a sensible idea.
Perhaps you should suggest to John that he tells the old man on his
allotment that he doesn't know what he is doing and that he should
stop and do things "your" way - despite the fact he seems to be
getting fantastic results.

Do you sometimes wonder what she smokes?

Who?

The home made manure stirrer.

T'aint me Martin it's that Judith who posts in the legal group and
that definitely ain't me

I never suspected you :-)
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

My Man, I knew you would have faith in me.

Judith

Old 09-09-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 9, 12:13 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from contains these words:

they're trying to avoid you like the plage LOL!!!.

It's a good idea to stay away from _the beach_!
(or have I forgotten my schoolgirl French?)

--
AnneJ

If you don't quit, and don't cheat, and don't run home
when trouble arrives, you can only win.
~Shelley Long

You have email Mrs. Jackson

Judith

Old 09-09-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Sep, 12:13, Anne Jackson wrote:
It's a good idea to stay away from _the beach_!
(or have I forgotten my schoolgirl French?)

)))

Old 09-09-2007, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/9/07 11:52, in article
, "
wrote:

snip
Stop trying to annoyed everybody here. It was nice when weren't here.

I disagree with that 100%.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-09-2007, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 9, 5:04 pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 11:19:29 -0000, "

wrote:
T'aint me Martin it's that Judith who posts in the legal group and
that definitely ain't me

I never suspected you :-)

My Man, I knew you would have faith in me.

My Good Man, surely
--

Martin

o.k. My best man, how's that?

Judith

Old 09-09-2007, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 9, 7:03 pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 17:37:15 -0000, "

wrote:
T'aint me Martin it's that Judith who posts in the legal group and
that definitely ain't me

I never suspected you :-)
My Man, I knew you would have faith in me.

My Good Man, surely
--

Martin

o.k. My best man, how's that?

Do I hear wedding bells?
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

No, I have only got to the flirting stage!!

Judith

Old 10-09-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 11:50 am, Martin wrote:

That's the safest stage.

looks over shoulder

Brazen hussy!

Oh, I like that (why did you look over your shoulder?)

The Brazen One

Old 10-09-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Sep, 13:01, "
wrote:
On Sep 10, 11:50 am, Martin wrote:
That's the safest stage.
looks over shoulder
Brazen hussy!

Oh, I like that (why did you look over your shoulder?)
The Brazen One

FFS! I keep looking in this thread and I find you naked without your
teeth .... Go and get a room or carry on via email but please stop
because this is getting nauseating to say the least! THIS IS A
GARDENING FORUM!!! NOT somewhere to rub each others. Start another
thread and call it something which would let us know what you are both
up to. But Stop STOP NOW before I vomit everywhere .....!!