Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Home-Made fertilisers

Following my earlier posting on Nitro-Chalk, I would be pleased to hear of
anyone else's home-made fertilisers (that is, if you don't mind passing the
information on!).

I ask because, yesterday, I heard about a man on the allotment site who
makes his own by adding Growmore, stinging nettles, and horse manure to
water in a very large butt and letting it stand.

I was amazed at the size and health of his crops but I haven't managed to
see him yet, as we, obviously, go up there at different times but when I do
I'll ask him the quatities he uses and how he uses it and hope he tells me.

I've read of comfrey and stinging nettles (among other things) being used
but never tried it myself, as yet so I'd love to hear of other people's
favourite recipes.

I ask so many questions because I'm trying to learn as much as I can about
gardening before any more of my body packs up and I have to give up my
beloved allotment!

Anyway, thanks in advance and my best regards,

John

Old 07-09-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Sep, 16:38, "John Vanini" wrote:
[...]

Hi John. I wouldn't put in one bucket growmore, nettles and OM
altogether - EVER! Sounds really mad and I can't imagine what would be
the right amount for each. Each fertilizer has its amount of NPK - and
on some instances, like for beans, I'd use OM and then later use
comfrey to mulch. I use OM every year (my autumn delivery arrives
tomorrow!!) which goes on top of every bed and I keep it there until
I've used it all. I do nettles and comfrey, not together, but
separately in different buckets (I got some amazing barrels from Mary
on this forum earlier this year). These I use everywhere, for flowers
and fruits. Now I'm stopping - there's no need. I'll make fresh
barrels next year, as soon as the nettles arrives, because young
leaves are the bestest. I use comfrey to mulch and add it on my
compost pile (and box at home). I also don't get headaches with weeds
and grass, as I find some to be useful as mulch.

Find below a link which I think is perfect for you. It will give you
the general idea of the balance in NPK and what natural fertiliser is
good for from Shoddy to Green Manure! I have never used Growmore and
don't intent to either. I have simpler

http://www.ecodyfi.org.uk/growing/downloads/Week4.doc

Old 07-09-2007, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
[...]

Someone I know grows magnificent vegetables and wins at shows, constantly.
He admits that he has his own recipe but he guards it jealously!

Mary

Old 07-09-2007, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Helene,

I was told that was what he did but the chap I was talking to may not have
really known - hence my question! I will, as soon as I can I will talk to
the plot holder, himself to see what he says.

Thanks for your information, it's very interesting and all very welcome! I
must admit that I wish I'd got an allotment many years ago as I enjoy it so
much and the people are all so friendly and helpful - here and on the
allotment site.

I'll try that link.

Kindest regards,

John

Old 07-09-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, Mary, and, I must admit, you can understand it when they're entering
crops for exhibituions, I suppose - something I don't intende to do - not
with the quality of crops I'm producing at the moment!

Thanks and best regards

John

t...

Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 17:45:46 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Someone I know grows magnificent vegetables and wins at shows, constantly.
He admits that he has his own recipe but he guards it jealously!

Don't know about that. My late mother had a neighbour Ca 1950 who grew
cabbages the size of footballs. What with poverty, food rationing and
all that he was very generous and gave her plenty when he had them.

One day she asked him "What do you put on them ?"

"Old Wesh" he replied.

"What's that ?" she asked.

"Well, we keep a bucket in the bathroom" ... was the answer.

At the next "neighbourhood meeting" (over the garden fence) mum was
reported to have said :

"And 'e's no need to come round to my 'ouse with 'is cabbages"

DG

Old 07-09-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:59:23 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Why does it sound really mad? - just because you "can't imagine" the
proportions to use does not mean it is not a sensible idea.
Perhaps you should suggest to John that he tells the old man on his
allotment that he doesn't know what he is doing and that he should
stop and do things "your" way - despite the fact he seems to be
getting fantastic results.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

reported to have said :

"And 'e's no need to come round to my 'ouse with 'is cabbages"

DG

Wouldn't bother me.

Considering what feeds my vegetables ...

Mary

Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

reported to have said :
"And 'e's no need to come round to my 'ouse with 'is cabbages"

Nightsoil. I'm too scared to experiment, but I know someone who does
and I've never found his crops better than with horse manure. Any crap
would do I think ;o)

Old 08-09-2007, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Sep, 18:04, "John Vanini" wrote:
I was told that was what he did but the chap I was talking to may not have
really known - hence my question! I will, as soon as I can I will talk to
the plot holder, himself to see what he says.

That's the best way to get info - but your own experiences are also
invaluable. Follow your instincts )

must admit that I wish I'd got an allotment many years ago as I enjoy it so
much and the people are all so friendly and helpful - here and on the
allotment site.

It is therapy for many in this fast moving crazy world. It is a
retreat and a quiet place to find oneself. I can't imagine not having
it - as much as I think I would love to own a couple of acres, I think
I'd miss the people walking through and saying hi! and just standing
there chitchating with a cuppa.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Sep, 18:45, judith wrote:
Why does it sound really mad? - just because you "can't imagine" the
proportions to use does not mean it is not a sensible idea.
Perhaps you should suggest to John that he tells the old man on his
allotment that he doesn't know what he is doing and that he should
stop and do things "your" way - despite the fact he seems to be
getting fantastic results.

Hello and chill. What is mad is to suggest that someone 'perhaps' is
putting in a bucket some manure, followed by growmore, followed by
nettles and then the lot in water. That is something I have never
heard off. As John pointed out, he's not sure, he's heard that the old
man is doing something with lots of stuff but not sure what. I use
lots of stuff, but certainly not all in a single bucket. HTH

Old 08-09-2007, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Your absolutley right! I am sometimes the first person on the allotment in
the early morning and have found myself just staring at the clouds and
listening to the birds and not wanting to drag my eyes away. Another good
sound at any time of the day, is that of someone else digging on a plot
somewhere on the other side of the allotment!

There's too much noise pollution in today's world, so it's good to get away
from it. I hardly ever listen to the radio and seldom watch television
(except for films! - I love films especially the old black & white ones when
there was less sex, violence, and swearing and we had to make do with a good
story, well-acted and well-told!)

I like to hear what other people do and what they have tried, in the garden
or wherever in life - nobody's experience is useless. I also like to think
that I'm intelligent enough to form my own ideas from what they have said
and from commonsense, logic, and my own experience. I don't believe that
anyone's opinion is worthless as it can lead to an idea coming into mind
that otherwise wouldn't.

Anyway, I'm rattling on so had better stop! Thanks again for your replys

Best regards,

John

ups.com...

Old 08-09-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Good grief! Whatever is the matter, Judith? What Helene said was perfectly
sound and I took it the way it was intended.

As I said, I was told what the plotholder (supposedly) did by his neighour,
who may have got it completely wrong, but I do intend to ask the man
himself.

In the meantime, I thought that it would be interesting to find out what
others on this newsgroup thought about it or might have some idea as to the
proportions involved and if they did anything similar.

There was nothing wrong with any of the answers I got, including Helene's -
and it was my posting so if anyone had the right to complain, I did. But I
had no need - Helene thought it was mad - so, what? What's wrong with that?
It probably is!

So, Judith, what do you thiink of the idea? What would you suggest? Let's
have some constructive criticism and forget what's happened. I don't want
any flame war or anything like that - I like to get on with people - but I
don't like rudeness. It's totally unnecessary.

Regards,

John

Old 08-09-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Following my earlier posting on Nitro-Chalk, I would be pleased to hear of
anyone else's home-made fertilisers (that is, if you don't mind passing
the information on!).

I ask because, yesterday, I heard about a man on the allotment site who
makes his own by adding Growmore, stinging nettles, and horse manure to
water in a very large butt and letting it stand.

I was amazed at the size and health of his crops but I haven't managed to
see him yet, as we, obviously, go up there at different times but when I
do I'll ask him the quatities he uses and how he uses it and hope he tells
me.

I've read of comfrey and stinging nettles (among other things) being used
but never tried it myself, as yet so I'd love to hear of other people's
favourite recipes.

I throw whatever I have on hand into an old 44 gallon drum which has a
plastic lid held down by a brick and top it up with water. I then let it
fester for a few weeks. I use a big garbage bin for between times and
always have one on the go and one lot brewing. The mix can include manure
from horse or cow or alpacas tied up in an old bag, weeds/plants that I
can't/don't compost (comfrey, dock, wire weed, marshamallow) and then when I
want to use it I put it into a watering can and dilute it till it looks like
weak tea and pour it from the watering can. Little and often is the usual
dosage. Old gardeners use multiple names for such a brew and all have their
favourite names. I call it "Black Jack" but there are perhaps as many names
as there are gardeners.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message
Good grief! Whatever is the matter, Judith? What Helene said was perfectly
sound and I took it the way it was intended.

John, there are a lot of people on this newsgroup who could do with the
following -

http://www.globalretreatcentre.org.u...ayretreats.htm

Kindest regards

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.