GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Replanting a shrub bed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/164626-replanting-shrub-bed.html)

[email protected] 10-09-2007 08:55 AM

Replanting a shrub bed

I cleared a seriously overgrown bed of irises yesterday - anyone
having done this will know quite what a task it is to dig up all the
rhizomes ! A pick axe was required on one clump !

My query is that I have a number of shrubs in pots which I've
accumulated over the past year - can I just plant them out now having
cleared the ground fully, or should I let the ground lie fallow for
the winter.

Thanks

Rob

Sacha 10-09-2007 09:29 AM

Replanting a shrub bed

On 10/9/07 08:55, in article
,
" wrote:

I cleared a seriously overgrown bed of irises yesterday - anyone
having done this will know quite what a task it is to dig up all the
rhizomes ! A pick axe was required on one clump !

My query is that I have a number of shrubs in pots which I've
accumulated over the past year - can I just plant them out now having
cleared the ground fully, or should I let the ground lie fallow for
the winter.

There's no reason not to plant out the shrubs now because the ground is warm
and they'll get their feet down and be off to a good start next spring. But
if by letting the ground lie fallow you mean you think it's 'tired', then
try to get hold of some rotted horse manure or even some compost from a
nursery and fork that in to give the ground a bit of body. Keep the shrubs
well-watered in dry spells.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

[email protected] 10-09-2007 04:19 PM

Replanting a shrub bed

On 10 Sep, 08:55, "
wrote:
I cleared a seriously overgrown bed of irises yesterday - anyone
having done this will know quite what a task it is to dig up all the
rhizomes ! A pick axe was required on one clump !
My query is that I have a number of shrubs in pots which I've
accumulated over the past year - can I just plant them out now having
cleared the ground fully, or should I let the ground lie fallow for
the winter.

Plant them now, it's a good time. Not sure why you want to leave the
ground over winter. I've planted lots of shrubs and trees in the past
at this time of year - it's the best time for it and container grown
shrubs can be planted any time during the year too. To add to what has
been said, you must make a hole 2/3 time the size of the root ball and
as pointed out fill that hole with compost and om to give the shrubs a
great start before winter arrives. Try to prize out a few compacted
roots so that the plant get a chance to root well before winter. Also
plant at the same level of when they were in the pot. Take your time
filling in the soil around your shrubs to avoid air pockets. Finally
tidy your shrubs too by cuting out all dead and damaged branches and
stragly longer stems. HTH

Rob G 10-09-2007 08:59 PM

Replanting a shrub bed

On 10 Sep, 16:19, wrote:
On 10 Sep, 08:55, "

wrote:
[...]

Many thanks guys - I'll plead ignorance !

Rob

Chris Hogg 11-09-2007 06:11 PM

Replanting a shrub bed

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 00:55:08 -0700, "
wrote:

I cleared a seriously overgrown bed of irises yesterday - anyone
having done this will know quite what a task it is to dig up all the
rhizomes ! A pick axe was required on one clump !

My query is that I have a number of shrubs in pots which I've
accumulated over the past year - can I just plant them out now having
cleared the ground fully, or should I let the ground lie fallow for
the winter.

If they've been in pots for a few years they may be pot-bound, so
don't forget to tease out the roots a bit before you plant them.

--
Chris