Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Book on show preparation?

Just had our very limited Gardening Club show last weekend. Several
entrants had to be confronted s their beloved onions or carrots or
courgettes etc had been disqualified by the judge. No reason given!

It didn't help that the judge was one of our members who regularly
sweeps the board with his daffodils etc as he exhibits at RHS hall
levels but will not share his secrets

However, they had to ask him why things had been disqualified only to
find he had done so because some had 'trimmed' up the exhibit in the
wrong way or an entry was too large by a few centimetres etc.

They want to now know what they should read to find out what regulations
say about stuff. I can then put the conditions etc in the Newsletter.
Have trawled through Medwyn's articles and the vegetable Society but
under preparation and exhibition it mainly seems to explain cultivation
not the actual rules of the show.

Does anyone know where I can get or even read a copy of such things as
size, condition etc things need to have?
I can find show regulations from the RHS about exhibits being in your
ownership for so long before a show etc and the type of plants but not
that you should leave the carrots root alone or leave the flower on a
courgette etc.

Anyone know where these rules might be? Don't mind buying a bible of
sorts if that's what it takes. At least then we wouldn't have upset
exhibitors. It takes us all our time to encourage them to enter!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 10-09-2007, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote (snip)...

Does anyone know where I can get or even read a copy of such things as
size, condition etc things need to have?
I can find show regulations from the RHS about exhibits being in your
ownership for so long before a show etc and the type of plants but not
that you should leave the carrots root alone or leave the flower on a
courgette etc.

Anyone know where these rules might be? Don't mind buying a bible of sorts
if that's what it takes. At least then we wouldn't have upset exhibitors.
It takes us all our time to encourage them to enter!

"The Horticultural Show Handbook" published by the RHS.
ISBN 0-906603-73-0 (mine cost £5.95 some years ago)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-09-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
wrote

Just had our very limited Gardening Club show last weekend. Several
entrants had to be confronted s their beloved onions or carrots or
courgettes etc had been disqualified by the judge. No reason given!

It's because they are not being judged on quality or taste but on some
other unimportant parameter. Surely if it is your show you don't have to
conform to silly rules set by those who cannot grow anything worth
eating themselves?

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet

bought one from wisley last sunday - the horticultural show handbook - cost
about £7.50 - bought it on a visit to wisley rhs garden.
you can also order it on the net just google rhs.
gives you general advice and then individual advice as to what the judges
are looking for - i was prompted to buy it after my first show this year,
cabbage got 2nd and pots got 3rd - courgettes disqualified as nas not as
schedule - put 2 on show instead of three.
think you have to cross reference the show handbook with your individual
shows schedule.
i'm planning to enter lots next year - especially as I won a silver plate
for being the best novice with my gabbage and potatoes.
I just do it to support our own allotment society - there was some rumblings
that this would be the last if not supported well
It was very well supported and the chairman claims it ws one of the best
since they first started

joined the rhs on sunday - got a free carol kline how to grow vegetables
book - very nice to.

Alan
8 miles north of portsmouth

Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Alan
writes

It's because they are not being judged on quality or taste but on some
other unimportant parameter. Surely if it is your show you don't have
to conform to silly rules set by those who cannot grow anything worth
eating themselves?

No you can't though it would be nice. It's a bit like the kennel club I
that any association allied to the central body or recognised as an
official horticultural or Canine Club or association must run their
shows to conform to a central standard.
I guess I can see that somehow based on taste (whether visual in the
case of dogs or, in the case of vegetables, palate) the judging would be
far too subjective and they are trying to make the placings as objective
as possible.
I just feel that the members ought to know what basic rules they nee to
follow to obtain points. someone has suggested the RHS book so I shall
try and get that although the Veg. Society has said not to bother at the
moment as their is a new one coming out soon!

Of course some exhibitors don't help themselves by displaying 6 or 4
tomatoes when the class says 5

Janet

Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 11 Sep, 12:55, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Alan
writes

[...]

This can be a problem with some judges, they dont tell exhibitors what
they have done wrong. This is to the detriment of showing as it can
put off the novice.
A good judge will say why he has marked you down and what you can do
to improve next time.
I remember one Judge at Swansea flower show who one year marked my
display of around 20 varieties of Ivy down as he said "there was to
much green in the display".
This is the same clown who another year gave extra marks to another
exhibitor for his strelitzia which was in fact cut flowers stuck in
a pot with fern leaves.

Your members may find this site of value : http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show_vegetables.php

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 11-09-2007, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/9/07 22:14, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

[...]

In my experience, limited though it is, exhibitors always welcome the
judges' comments. If they don't receive those, how do they know how to
improve their work for the future? As it is impossible for judges to taste
each raw vegetable, they're judged on appearance which means presentation.
Cakes and jams can be tasted and they are. But raw veg???
Even flower arrangements are given certain rules, laid down by NAFAS and it
gives everyone something to aim for. Otherwise it would be a mere
hodgepodge of personal taste, leading to considerable acrimony in small
communities. But I do think it's *extremely* important for the judge to
give reasons and encouraging remarks that are informative at the same time.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

But I do think it's *extremely* important for the judge to
give reasons and encouraging remarks that are informative at the same
time.

--
Sacha

Which is exactly what I did when I was teaching and lecturing. I was a City
& Guilds Assessor and I 'always' made a point of picking up the good points
and pointing them out, AND the bad points and remarked on them as to how it
should have been.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, Dave
Hill wrote

This is the same clown who another year gave extra marks to another
exhibitor for his strelitzia which was in fact cut flowers stuck in
a pot with fern leaves.

Why are you surprised? Entering into this type of activity is the
gardening equivalent of train spotting.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Dave
Hill writes

A good judge will say why he has marked you down and what you can do
to improve next time.

Well yes David indeed. The judge for the photography made very practical
comments both for and against each picture which was very welcome.

I remember one Judge at Swansea flower show who one year marked my
display of around 20 varieties of Ivy down as he said "there was to
much green in the display".

Good grief!

Your members may find this site of value :
http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show_vegetables.php

I've ordered the show book from the RHS then we can explain what is
required on the schedule.

In passing, David, your Texas Dahlia has just flowered, the foliage is
wonderful and dark though the flower has turned out to be acid yellow! I
did get Twinings After Eight which is easier to place in the garden

The scented dahlias , well two did not thrive unfortunately but the
others are looking as if they might flower any day now, are they usually
much later than other dahlias?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 12-09-2007, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
I just feel that the members ought to know what basic rules they nee to
follow to obtain points. someone has suggested the RHS book so I shall
try and get that although the Veg. Society has said not to bother at the
moment as their is a new one coming out soon!

Of course some exhibitors don't help themselves by displaying 6 or 4
tomatoes when the class says 5

Janet

Ask the show secretary if they need any extra judges stewards. I did the job
for the first time this year and it was most informative to listen to the
judges discussing the exhibits as they went round. This years lot were very
helpful to the exhibitors as well. If they had to Not According to Schedule an
exhibit they wrote the reason on the card, but not all judges do this. The book
is very helpful and stresses the importance of things like uniformity.

Gill
--

addy gill[at]pcservicesreading[dot]co[dot]uk

Old 13-09-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

In passing, David, your Texas Dahlia has just flowered, the foliage is
wonderful and dark though the flower has turned out to be acid yellow! I
did get Twinings After Eight which is easier to place in the garden

The scented dahlias , well two did not thrive unfortunately but the
others are looking as if they might flower any day now, are they usually
much later than other dahlias?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Janet,
You have me wondering when you say my Texas Dahlia, What Texas
dahlias?
The scented normally are free flowering and around the same blooming
time as others, but this season anything is possible.

Here the tree dahlias are coming out with a good variety of sizes and
colours, and some of this years seedlings are in bud.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 13-09-2007, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com, Dave
Hill writes

Janet,
You have me wondering when you say my Texas Dahlia, What Texas
dahlias?

Sorry David, spellchecker glitch! It was Turkish Sunshine.

The scented normally are free flowering and around the same blooming
time as others, but this season anything is possible.

Here the tree dahlias are coming out with a good variety of sizes and
colours, and some of this years seedlings are in bud.

Never seen tree dahlias what are they like?
Old 14-09-2007, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 Sep, 18:55, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article . com, Dave
Hill writes

Janet,
You have me wondering when you say my Texas Dahlia, What Texas
dahlias?

Sorry David, spellchecker glitch! It was Turkish Sunshine.

The scented normally are free flowering and around the same blooming
time as others, but this season anything is possible.

Here the tree dahlias are coming out with a good variety of sizes and
colours, and some of this years seedlings are in bud.

Never seen tree dahlias what are they like?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Tall