Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cobnuts!

I set two 1yr old cobnut trees in 1999. They are now large, healthy
looking and bushy. Each year I see a few small red female flowers and
a number of catkins _but_ they never produce nuts.

Does anyone know if a severe prune might help produce nuts? I am
wondering if there is maybe too much foliage, weakening the tree and
thus reducing its fruiting potential.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness

Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Compo wrote:
I set two 1yr old cobnut trees in 1999. They are now large, healthy
looking and bushy. Each year I see a few small red female flowers and
a number of catkins _but_ they never produce nuts.

Does anyone know if a severe prune might help produce nuts? I am
wondering if there is maybe too much foliage, weakening the tree and
thus reducing its fruiting potential.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness

Not an answer to your question, but I do quite a bit of walking, this
year on the Welsh English border. I don't know if it is the area or the
weather we have had but the amount of hazel nuts are quite astounding.
Also as we walk there are lots of "crunches" where we step on and break
the shells.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Sep, 10:00, Broadback wrote:
Not an answer to your question, but I do quite a bit of walking, this
year on the Welsh English border. I don't know if it is the area or the
weather we have had but the amount of hazel nuts are quite astounding.
Also as we walk there are lots of "crunches" where we step on and break
the shells.

I think we're in for a magnificent autumn show - that is if it carries
on being cold at night with super sunshine during the day!! Another 2
weeks like this and it's in the bag )) This year I've booked all my
week ends away - Kendal, Cumbria and North Yorks for walks (followed
with pub lunch ...). Lets hope you all get it across the UK.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:16:21 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

Compo wrote:
I set two 1yr old cobnut trees in 1999. They are now large, healthy
looking and bushy. Each year I see a few small red female flowers
and a number of catkins _but_ they never produce nuts.

Does anyone know if a severe prune might help produce nuts? I am
wondering if there is maybe too much foliage, weakening the tree and
thus reducing its fruiting potential.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness

Not an answer to your question, but I do quite a bit of walking, this
year on the Welsh English border. I don't know if it is the area or
the weather we have had but the amount of hazel nuts are quite
astounding. Also as we walk there are lots of "crunches" where we
step on and break the shells.

You sure they're not snails?

Is a cobnut and a hazelnut the same thing?

Yes.

If so, it would explain a lot (to me).

--

Hansom 0++0

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

PRAYER FOR A NATION

When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
the usual politically correct generalities.
But what they heard instead was this:

Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
and seek your direction and guidance.
We know Your Word says,
‘Woe on those who call evil good,’ but that’s exactly what we have done.
We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.

We confess that:

We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it pluralism;

We have, worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;

We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle;

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;

We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation;

We have killed our unborn and called it choice;

We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem;

We have abused power and called it political savvy;

We have coveted our neighbour’s possessions and called it ambition;

We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression;

We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be some wicked way in us;
cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You, to govern this great state.

Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

****************

Old 11-09-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Compo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I set two 1yr old cobnut trees in 1999. They are now large, healthy
looking and bushy. Each year I see a few small red female flowers and
a number of catkins _but_ they never produce nuts.

Does anyone know if a severe prune might help produce nuts? I am
wondering if there is maybe too much foliage, weakening the tree and
thus reducing its fruiting potential.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness

Oh dear, mine (in sunny Aiberdeen) are fruitless at 4 years old, and I was
full of hope for next year! :-(
Chris S

Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback writes:

Compo wrote:
I set two 1yr old cobnut trees in 1999. They are now large, healthy
looking and bushy. Each year I see a few small red female flowers and
a number of catkins _but_ they never produce nuts.
Does anyone know if a severe prune might help produce nuts?

Not an answer to your question, but I do quite a bit of walking, this
year on the Welsh English border. I don't know if it is the area or
the weather we have had but the amount of hazel nuts are quite
astounding.

Squirrels stripped everything off mine 10 days ago.

Anthony

Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Compo wrote:
I set two 1yr old cobnut trees in 1999. They are now large, healthy
looking and bushy. Each year I see a few small red female flowers
and a number of catkins _but_ they never produce nuts.

Does anyone know if a severe prune might help produce nuts? I am
wondering if there is maybe too much foliage, weakening the tree and
thus reducing its fruiting potential.

Cheers,
Compo in Caithness

Not an answer to your question, but I do quite a bit of walking, this
year on the Welsh English border. I don't know if it is the area or
the weather we have had but the amount of hazel nuts are quite
astounding. Also as we walk there are lots of "crunches" where we
step on and break the shells.

You sure they're not snails?

Is a cobnut and a hazelnut the same thing?

Yes.

Also known as Filberts, because they ripen around the time of St
Filbert/Filibert's day.

Steve