Old 11-09-2007, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bluebell bulb suppliers

I'm looking for a reliable supplier of true English bluebell bulbs,
free from hispanic contamination. A search on the net brings up
several UK suppliers, but some of the associated pictures look
decidedly hybrid, which raises doubts in my mind. If they don't know
the difference between hybrids and true English bluebells well enough
to get the right picture, how reliable are their bulbs?

Does anyone know a reliable supplier of true English bluebell bulbs?

--
Chris

Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:31:56 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote
(in article ):

I'm looking for a reliable supplier of true English bluebell bulbs,
free from hispanic contamination. A search on the net brings up
several UK suppliers, but some of the associated pictures look
decidedly hybrid, which raises doubts in my mind. If they don't know
the difference between hybrids and true English bluebells well enough
to get the right picture, how reliable are their bulbs?

Does anyone know a reliable supplier of true English bluebell bulbs?

I have used and been happy with Shipton Bulbs:
http://www.bluebellbulbs.co.uk/Catalogue/Native%20bulbs.htm

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 12-09-2007, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:31:56 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote
and included this (or some of this):

Does anyone know a reliable supplier of true English bluebell bulbs?

My beloved just bought some in Tesco

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for those links. Certainly more promising than the couple I
looked at.

--
Chris

Old 13-09-2007, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 12, 8:15 pm, Chris Hogg wrote:
Thanks for those links. Certainly more promising than the couple I
looked at.

--
Chris

Whenever I read about bluebells it says to buy them "in the green" is
that what you do or do you get success with bulbs?

Old 13-09-2007, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:49:47 -0700, adder1969
wrote:

On Sep 12, 8:15 pm, Chris Hogg wrote:
Thanks for those links. Certainly more promising than the couple I
looked at.

--
Chris

Whenever I read about bluebells it says to buy them "in the green" is
that what you do or do you get success with bulbs?

I've no idea, but I know it applies to snowdrops.

--
Chris

Old 13-09-2007, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 13, 6:12 pm, Chris Hogg wrote:

Whenever I read about bluebells it says to buy them "in the green" is
that what you do or do you get success with bulbs?

I've no idea, but I know it applies to snowdrops.

I did a trial a few years ago, snowdrops in the green and just
snowdrop bulbs. The result was staggering, the side of the garden
done in the green was beautiful and the side by bulb was sparse for
the first couple of years although they did almost catch up but not
quite.

BoyPete sent me a load of bluebell bulbs and I would like to thank
him, I did post but I don't know if he is here any more?

Judith

Old 15-09-2007, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Watch out - As virtually all of the bulbs sold by the big chains do
not come from English stock. They are from Holland, to name just one
country.

From BULB to SEED and back to BULB JandK23 Lawns 0 29-04-2005 04:06 PM
English Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 0 23-06-2003 10:44 PM
Bluebell seeds Charlie United Kingdom 40 19-06-2003 07:32 PM
Bluebell seeds for swaps Mark Allison United Kingdom 2 25-05-2003 10:44 AM
Bulb suppliers, Scotland? Gordon Watt United Kingdom 7 19-05-2003 07:44 PM