Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Asparagus

I want to start an Asparagus bed, I have prepared
a raised bed all ready to go but are unable to locate
any crowns locally, am I going about it the wrong time
of year or what??
Any help or advice would be welcome.

Wally

Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote:

I want to start an Asparagus bed, I have prepared
a raised bed all ready to go but are unable to locate
any crowns locally, am I going about it the wrong time
of year or what??

Are you in the U.K.? Crowns are sold in the spring, so yes, this is the
wrong time. Unless, of course, you're on the bottom half of the planet.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Wally" wrote:

I want to start an Asparagus bed, I have prepared
a raised bed all ready to go but are unable to locate
any crowns locally, am I going about it the wrong time
of year or what??

Are you in the U.K.? Crowns are sold in the spring, so yes, this is the
wrong time. Unless, of course, you're on the bottom half of the planet.

Yes Gary, I'm in UK, (Bucks.) looks like I've got to wait a while then.
Thanks for the reply

Wally

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Old 12-09-2007, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Wally" wrote:

I want to start an Asparagus bed, I have prepared
a raised bed all ready to go but are unable to locate
any crowns locally, am I going about it the wrong time
of year or what??

Are you in the U.K.? Crowns are sold in the spring, so yes, this is the
wrong time. Unless, of course, you're on the bottom half of the planet.

Even if he is on the correct side of the planet, he'd be a couple of months
too late to find good ones. The only ones left now are well picked over.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Wally" wrote:

I want to start an Asparagus bed, I have prepared
a raised bed all ready to go but are unable to locate
any crowns locally, am I going about it the wrong time
of year or what??

Are you in the U.K.? Crowns are sold in the spring, so yes, this is the
wrong time. Unless, of course, you're on the bottom half of the planet.

We prepared a bed and just like the OP we were too late for Crowns so
thought, sow seeds. Carefully planted the seeds and waited, and waited, and
waited and nothing happened so the pots were emptied onto the garden. Seeds
had done nothing. "Wait till next Spring and get the Crowns"

What happened?

Seeds started to grow in the garden!

Transplanted to the prepared beds. Only one now survives. :-((

Crowns in the Spring now :-)

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Sep, 07:49, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Gary Woods" wrote in message

"Wally" wrote:

[...]

'THE' Association if you served in the Electrical Branch of the Royal Navywww.rneba.org.ukto find your ex-Greenie mess mateswww.iowtours.comfor all ex-Service Reunions. More being added regularly

Been there done that some years back and then repeated with lots of
seeds which did produce plants but they were a mixture of male and
female and the exercise was abandoned at that stage as there was too
much hassle trying to sort that out.

I'm now thinking about trying again with crowns. What's the opinions
on the best variety to get ?

Rob