Old 12-09-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse insulation

Hi I was wondering what would be better to insulate my greenhouse in the
winter, bubble polythene or envirofleece, or do they have the same
insulating properties?
Thanks Jan

Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janice" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi I was wondering what would be better to insulate my greenhouse in the
winter, bubble polythene or envirofleece, or do they have the same
insulating properties?
Thanks Jan

Well we are using bubblewrap as it comes free with the parts and equipment
my company sends to me weekly.
Worked OK last year

Old 14-09-2007, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Sep, 17:50, "Janice" wrote:
Hi I was wondering what would be better to insulate my greenhouse in the
winter, bubble polythene or envirofleece, or do they have the same
insulating properties?
Thanks Jan

I have used both over many years. Now given up. You will find it
blocks out the winter sun and therefore you get too much dampness and
condensation causing winter plants(shrubs) kept in an unheated
greenhouse to suffer.
For two winters now I have done far better leaving the bubble film
off. Even if you put it on it does not keep out the severe frost.
Peter

Old 14-09-2007, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 14, 12:08 am, Peter C wrote:
On 12 Sep, 17:50, "Janice" wrote:

Hi I was wondering what would be better to insulate my greenhouse in the
winter, bubble polythene or envirofleece, or do they have the same
insulating properties?
Thanks Jan

I have used both over many years. Now given up. You will find it
blocks out the winter sun and therefore you get too much dampness and
condensation causing winter plants(shrubs) kept in an unheated
greenhouse to suffer.

There is still something wrong with your unheated greenhouse if it
stays that damp in winter. Ventilating it on the warm sunny days will
help. This is a good idea anyway to avoid triggering early bud break
and soft growth.

For two winters now I have done far better leaving the bubble film
off. Even if you put it on it does not keep out the severe frost.
Peter

If you are heating the greenhouse then the big roll 1" bubble sized
industrial bubble wrap lets the most light in and provides the best
thickness of trapped air insulation.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 14-09-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Peter C writes
On 12 Sep, 17:50, "Janice" wrote:
Hi I was wondering what would be better to insulate my greenhouse in the
winter, bubble polythene or envirofleece, or do they have the same
insulating properties?
Thanks Jan

I have used both over many years. Now given up. You will find it
blocks out the winter sun and therefore you get too much dampness and
condensation causing winter plants(shrubs) kept in an unheated
greenhouse to suffer.
For two winters now I have done far better leaving the bubble film
off. Even if you put it on it does not keep out the severe frost.

It clearly depends on your greenhouse and what you are growing in it. In
a heated greenhouse about 14ft x 10ft I have no condensation problems
with bubble wrap, and it enables me to keep the greenhouse mainly above
40 deg F with the occasional night time dip to 32 deg without breaking
the bank, using electric heating.
--
Kay