Old 12-09-2007, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More on Asparagus

Thanks for your replies to my previous question, in
those replies there was talk of male and female plants.
This has confused me further, is one better than the other ?,
is one to be avoided ?, does one produce better than the other?.
Explain please, I'm writing it all down in my little book so thanks
in advance for your help.

Wally

Old 12-09-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
Thanks for your replies to my previous question, in those replies there
was talk of male and female plants.
This has confused me further, is one better than the other ?,
is one to be avoided ?, does one produce better than the other?.
Explain please, I'm writing it all down in my little book so thanks
in advance for your help.

Wally

Asparagus plants are either male or female and both produce flowers. The
male flowers pollinate those on the female, which then grow into berries.

Because the female plant uses up a lot of energy in producing the berries,
it is also not as healthy, doesn't live as long, and produces fewer spears
than a male (up to a third fewer).

It's best not to allow the berries to fall on the ground mainly for two
reasons; the first being that they will sprout to form new plants and cause
overcrowding. However, these can be removed when weeding, as necessary.

The second reason is a fungus, called "fusarium wilt", which will kill
asparagus and can spread from the mother plant, via the seeds, into the
soil, producing red streaks at the base of the shoots before the inner root
tissue collapses. How likely this is, I don't know!

The RHS advises that you remove any female plants and yet you can buy both
female and male crowns.

Growers are working on producing all-male varieties to benefit from the
better harvest and there are several on the market at the moment,
including - Jersey Giant, Jersey Prince, and Jersey Knight.

How do I know all this? I'm no expert but I have a bed of about twenty
asparagus ferns, out of which three are covered with berries. One gardening
book said, "Never let the berries fall on the soil" but didn't give a
reason. None of my other gardening books mentioned the berries, so, I've
spent hours, over the past weeks, reading, asking questions, and searching
the Internet trying to find out why. I only managed, from many sources, to
piece the story together yesterday.

I like to know the full story and hate being told to this or don't do that
without being given a good reason why. If I know why, I can make my own
judgements in future.

John

Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Thank you John, you answered all my questions in one go and
I have benefited from your research. )

Wally