Old 12-09-2007, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beetle ID

Pulling weeds from around my peas today and
saw a beetle that I had never seen before.
(probably because I'm new to veg growing)

It was green, about the same shade of green as the peas,
about 10mm across and very flat, looked a bit like a tiny
green crab.

Anyone recognise the description ??

Wally

Old 12-09-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Sep, 22:07, "Wally" wrote:
Pulling weeds from around my peas today and
saw a beetle that I had never seen before.
(probably because I'm new to veg growing)
It was green, about the same shade of green as the peas,
about 10mm across and very flat, looked a bit like a tiny
green crab.
Anyone recognise the description ??

There's the green veg bug or stink bug - is this the bug you saw? See
below:-

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/general1.htm

Old 12-09-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
Pulling weeds from around my peas today and
saw a beetle that I had never seen before.
(probably because I'm new to veg growing)

It was green, about the same shade of green as the peas,
about 10mm across and very flat, looked a bit like a tiny green crab.

Anyone recognise the description ??

Wally

Tortoise Beetle?

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There's the green veg bug or stink bug - is this the bug you saw? See
below:-

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/general1.htm

No the one I saw had a much rounder body and looked
like it had two pinchers in the front, very much like a
tiny crab.

Wally

Old 12-09-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tortoise Beetle?

Mike

Did a Google for Tortoise Beetle, not that one.

Wally

Old 12-09-2007, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote ..
Pulling weeds from around my peas today and
saw a beetle that I had never seen before.
(probably because I'm new to veg growing)

It was green, about the same shade of green as the peas,
about 10mm across and very flat, looked a bit like a tiny green crab.

Anyone recognise the description ??

Green Beetles...
Rose Chafer
Tortoise Beetle
Mint Leaf Beetle

But I suspect a Green Shield Bug (Palomena prasina)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-09-2007, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
Pulling weeds from around my peas today and
saw a beetle that I had never seen before.
(probably because I'm new to veg growing)

It was green, about the same shade of green as the peas,
about 10mm across and very flat, looked a bit like a tiny green crab.

Anyone recognise the description ??

Wally

Shield bugs are green and flat and 10mm across. Was it shield shaped?

mark

Old 13-09-2007, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message

"Wally" wrote in message
Pulling weeds from around my peas today and
saw a beetle that I had never seen before.
(probably because I'm new to veg growing)

It was green, about the same shade of green as the peas,
about 10mm across and very flat, looked a bit like a tiny green crab.

Anyone recognise the description ??

Wally

Shield bugs are green and flat and 10mm across. Was it shield shaped?

mark

I would have said more round than shield shape, I could be wrong.
If it was a Shield bug, are they a bad thing to have on peas??

Wally

Old 13-09-2007, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Sep, 14:04, "Wally" wrote:
I would have said more round than shield shape, I could be wrong.
If it was a Shield bug, are they a bad thing to have on peas??

There's lots of varieties of shield green bugs, green bugs, flat green
bugs, some have the same shape but also comes in green or yellow
(however I can't find one with pinchers at the front - are you close
to the sea?!). Apparently shield bugs do not cause major damage to
plants - they lay their eggs under the leaves and control is not
necessary. I'm however a bit confused - I'm wondering if this is the
same as the stink bug!? The stink bug suck the sap of plants but there
again it is not a major cause for alarm.

I remember stink bugs in my childhood - their name (in French) were
used as a 'swearing' word, an expression of annoyance:- 'punnaise' )

Red Lily Beetle Trevor United Kingdom 3 05-06-2003 03:44 PM
Small insect/Beetle D_Mozina Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:36 AM
Lily beetle again Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 24-03-2003 10:32 PM
Interesting item on Tulip Trees and japanese beetle control... ncstockguy North Carolina 0 18-02-2003 03:01 AM
Small insect/Beetle D_Mozina Australia 0 06-02-2003 01:47 AM