Old 14-09-2007, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Holes in the lawn

Can anybody advise the likely cause of 10-15mm diameter holes in the
lawn? They look as though something has come out, but I haven't seen
anything.

Old 14-09-2007, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anyroadup" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise the likely cause of 10-15mm diameter holes in the
lawn? They look as though something has come out, but I haven't seen
anything.

1. Wasps and Bees in hibernation mode (a certain species)
2. Hedgehogs looking for worms.

ted

Old 14-09-2007, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anyroadup" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise the likely cause of 10-15mm diameter holes in the
lawn? They look as though something has come out, but I haven't seen
anything.

Tremors?

;-)

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 14-09-2007, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue Ridge" wrote in message

"Anyroadup" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise the likely cause of 10-15mm diameter holes in the
lawn? They look as though something has come out, but I haven't seen
anything.

1. Wasps and Bees in hibernation mode (a certain species)

They're too big for solitary bees - and it's the wrong time of year for
either bees or wasps to hatch.

Mary

Old 14-09-2007, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anyroadup" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise the likely cause of 10-15mm diameter holes in the
lawn? They look as though something has come out, but I haven't seen
anything.

Grey squirrels are forever making holes in my lawns.

Keith.

Old 14-09-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anyroadup" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise the likely cause of 10-15mm diameter holes in the lawn?
They look as though something has come out, but I haven't seen
anything.

Just a suggestion. On my allotment, one of the things I've inherited seems
to be moles!

I keep finding holes of about 4" dia (10cm), luckily only in one particular
raised bed. I've never seen anything go in or come out but I've several
molehills, probably left as calling-cards!

Regards,

John

Old 14-09-2007, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Sue Ridge" wrote in message

"Anyroadup" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise the likely cause of 10-15mm diameter holes in the
lawn? They look as though something has come out, but I haven't seen
anything.

1. Wasps and Bees in hibernation mode (a certain species)

They're too big for solitary bees - and it's the wrong time of year for
either bees or wasps to hatch.

Mary

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic2364.htm

scroll down to solitary bees :-)

1/2" = 13mm approx................poster said 10 to 15mm.............

I have them on my lawns and they are precisely as poster described.........

Old 14-09-2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Sue Ridge" wrote in message

"Anyroadup" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise the likely cause of 10-15mm diameter holes in
the lawn? They look as though something has come out, but I
haven't seen anything.

1. Wasps and Bees in hibernation mode (a certain species)

They're too big for solitary bees - and it's the wrong time of year
for either bees or wasps to hatch.

Mary

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic2364.htm

scroll down to solitary bees :-)

1/2" = 13mm approx................poster said 10 to 15mm.............

I have them on my lawns and they are precisely as poster
described.........

Why doesn't that site mention slow worms then, eh?

Old 14-09-2007, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Sue Ridge" wrote in message

"Anyroadup" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise the likely cause of 10-15mm diameter holes in
the lawn? They look as though something has come out, but I
haven't seen anything.

1. Wasps and Bees in hibernation mode (a certain species)

They're too big for solitary bees - and it's the wrong time of year
for either bees or wasps to hatch.

Mary

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic2364.htm

scroll down to solitary bees :-)

1/2" = 13mm approx................poster said 10 to 15mm.............

I have them on my lawns and they are precisely as poster
described.........

Why doesn't that site mention slow worms then, eh?

I find it hard to believe a slow worm can dig a hole in hard
ground...........worms do it by passing the soil through their bodies, but
not a slow worm........

Old 14-09-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Sue Ridge" wrote in message

"Anyroadup" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise the likely cause of 10-15mm diameter holes in
the lawn? They look as though something has come out, but I
haven't seen anything.

1. Wasps and Bees in hibernation mode (a certain species)

They're too big for solitary bees - and it's the wrong time of year
for either bees or wasps to hatch.

Mary

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic2364.htm

scroll down to solitary bees :-)

1/2" = 13mm approx................poster said 10 to
15mm............. I have them on my lawns and they are precisely as
poster
described.........

Why doesn't that site mention slow worms then, eh?

I find it hard to believe a slow worm can dig a hole in hard
ground...........worms do it by passing the soil through their
bodies, but not a slow worm........

They don't do hard ground. They do soft, though, especially dry, light soil.
I have watched them. If you see one, and prod it with a stick, it's amazing
how fast they can go.

Old 14-09-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Sue Ridge" wrote in message

"Anyroadup" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

prod it with a stick....................

Old 14-09-2007, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Sep, 09:36, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Slow worms?
Light, loose, well-drained soil, they need. Like it is now.
They are scary-looking things, and there are loads about this year, I've
seen literally dozens of them.

Yes, sounds like it very much indeed - my she cat keeps bringing them
in and I struggle with them as they're trying to escape through the
floor boards's gaps - terrifying stuff pulling on a slow worm, beleive
me. 'orrible stuff ((

Also I take to my garden at night with a torchlight, even when there's
no slugs - I love the nite life - it's amazing, and the slow worms are
always there, especially at the moment. They don't mind my light it
seems, but it's the 'feel' of perhaps scent of me that make them
retract in the earth. Not sure. They're amazing creetures.

Today's plague is craneflies.

I love them these daddy long legs I do. Gives lawns and green a bit of
interest I think g

Old 14-09-2007, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in

[...]