GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gurt Beetle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/164833-gurt-beetle.html)

Uncle Marvo 14-09-2007 09:47 AM

Gurt Beetle

Someone in the village saw a beetle in a pile of wood yesterday which was,
he says, as long as his finger (about 3"?) and iridescent green. It isn't
one pictured in the Oxford Book, and I don't think it's a six-spotted tiger
beetle cos they shouldn't be in the village in a pile of wood, AFAIK.

Anyone got any ideas?

Des Higgins 14-09-2007 09:51 AM

Gurt Beetle

On Sep 14, 9:47 am, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Someone in the village saw a beetle in a pile of wood yesterday which was,
he says, as long as his finger (about 3"?) and iridescent green. It isn't
one pictured in the Oxford Book, and I don't think it's a six-spotted tiger
beetle cos they shouldn't be in the village in a pile of wood, AFAIK.

Anyone got any ideas?

Rose chafers are big and very shiny but mainly found on coasts and
heaths. They are big by UK (and Irish :-) beetle standards but
nothing like 3 inches; closer to one inch and volkswagen beetle
shaped.

Calosoma is a genus of carabid (hunting) beetles one or two of which
are very big (over and inch; but again nothing like 3 inches) which
are found on trees and are big and green? Try googling them and maybe
put "UK" in the query to avoid seeing madagascar genital wasps or
australian pit lice.

Des

Nick Maclaren 14-09-2007 09:58 AM

Gurt Beetle

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:
| Someone in the village saw a beetle in a pile of wood yesterday which was,
| he says, as long as his finger (about 3"?) and iridescent green. It isn't
| one pictured in the Oxford Book, and I don't think it's a six-spotted tiger
| beetle cos they shouldn't be in the village in a pile of wood, AFAIK.
|
| Anyone got any ideas?

The "after four pints of scrumpy" beetle?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Uncle Marvo 14-09-2007 10:02 AM

Gurt Beetle

, I, Marvo, say :

On Sep 14, 9:47 am, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
[...]

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/carab.htm

Third one down on the right fits the bill. I've printed it for him to look
at later, thanks!

Was the genital wasp an unfortunate typo? I can't find one anywhere.

Uncle Marvo 14-09-2007 10:10 AM

Gurt Beetle

, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:
Someone in the village saw a beetle in a pile of wood yesterday
which was, he says, as long as his finger (about 3"?) and
iridescent green. It isn't one pictured in the Oxford Book, and I
don't think it's a six-spotted tiger beetle cos they shouldn't be
in the village in a pile of wood, AFAIK.

Anyone got any ideas?

The "after four pints of scrumpy" beetle?

I did wonder, but he'd only just arrived at the pub.

Uncle Marvo 14-09-2007 10:32 AM

Gurt Beetle

, I, Marvo, say :

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/carab.htm

Third one down on the right fits the bill. I've printed it for him
to look at later, thanks!

It can't be it's a metric bug.
3.5cm isn't 3"

It's the weather for beetles :-)

Mary Fisher 14-09-2007 11:48 AM

Gurt Beetle

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Calosoma is a genus of carabid (hunting) beetles one or two of which
are very big (over and inch; but again nothing like 3 inches) which
are found on trees and are big and green? Try googling them and maybe
put "UK" in the query to avoid seeing madagascar genital wasps or
australian pit lice.

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/carab.htm

What a splendid site - thank you!

Mary

Nick Maclaren 14-09-2007 11:58 AM

Gurt Beetle

In article .com,
Des Higgins writes:

| Calosoma is a genus of carabid (hunting) beetles one or two of which
| are very big (over and inch; but again nothing like 3 inches) which
| are found on trees and are big and green? Try googling them and maybe
| put "UK" in the query to avoid seeing madagascar genital wasps or
| australian pit lice.

I can't find either of the latter two by googling! Are you inventing
species? They sound fascinating :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Des Higgins 14-09-2007 12:15 PM

Gurt Beetle

On Sep 14, 11:58 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article .com,Des Higgins writes:

| Calosoma is a genus of carabid (hunting) beetles one or two of which
| are very big (over and inch; but again nothing like 3 inches) which
| are found on trees and are big and green? Try googling them and maybe
| put "UK" in the query to avoid seeing madagascar genital wasps or
| australian pit lice.

I can't find either of the latter two by googling! Are you inventing
species? They sound fascinating :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I was trying to imagine the kinds of beasts that Steve Irwin might
have tackled had he been a creepy crawley hunter. Imagine a guy with
a butterfly net made from chain mail sneaking up on a big green shiny
thing the size of a tennis ball and being very careful because:
"these little fellers will take yer arm clean off at the elbow if
ye're not careful"

Uncle Marvo 14-09-2007 12:16 PM

Gurt Beetle

, I, Marvo, say :

In article .com,
Des Higgins writes:

Calosoma is a genus of carabid (hunting) beetles one or two of which
are very big (over and inch; but again nothing like 3 inches) which
are found on trees and are big and green? Try googling them and
maybe put "UK" in the query to avoid seeing madagascar genital
wasps or australian pit lice.

I can't find either of the latter two by googling! Are you inventing
species? They sound fascinating :-)

On reflection, I realise that Des is having a bit of a giraffe.

Very good, Des :-)

Nick Maclaren 14-09-2007 12:40 PM

Gurt Beetle

In article .com,
Des Higgins writes:

| I was trying to imagine the kinds of beasts that Steve Irwin might
| have tackled had he been a creepy crawley hunter. Imagine a guy with
| a butterfly net made from chain mail sneaking up on a big green shiny
| thing the size of a tennis ball and being very careful because:
| "these little fellers will take yer arm clean off at the elbow if
| ye're not careful"

You did it too well! And the interactions among insect species are
such that they could well have a close relationship with beetles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[email protected] 14-09-2007 01:32 PM

Gurt Beetle

On 14 Sep, 12:40, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article .com,Des Higgins writes:
| I was trying to imagine the kinds of beasts that Steve Irwin might
| have tackled had he been a creepy crawley hunter. Imagine a guy with
| a butterfly net made from chain mail sneaking up on a big green shiny
| thing the size of a tennis ball and being very careful because:
| "these little fellers will take yer arm clean off at the elbow if
| ye're not careful"

You did it too well! And the interactions among insect species are
such that they could well have a close relationship with beetles.

:o))) He did indeed. Thanks Des - made me larf out loud so much I had
to read it all to my office!