Old 15-09-2007, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree ???

Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Well its a beech hedge approx 6ft tall x 50ft long.

I have a handy 2 ft dia beech tree close by, and was thinking of
winching them out part way then cutting the roots as I go.

But how much force would be required, so I can judge on the strength
of the rope I need. The winch is no problem as its 10 tons.

Should I use weebing or steel wire ???

Any advice please.
Old 15-09-2007, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

postandrail wrote:

Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Well its a beech hedge approx 6ft tall x 50ft long.

I have a handy 2 ft dia beech tree close by, and was thinking of
winching them out part way then cutting the roots as I go.
But how much force would be required, so I can judge on the strength
of the rope I need.

How long is a piece of string?
It depends on what soil they are in, how long they have been there etc.
I think you will struggle by just attaching a winch to the trunk, then
pullling at it. The strap will likely ride up the trunk as the trunk
bends.

Any advice please.

Dig round it as much as possible before trying to pull it out, cut
through any roots, then try to pull it out. I watched a JCB trying to
get out 6" tree trunk this week - even that couldnt get it out without
digging out one side of the stump before dragging it out with the
bucket.
Alan.
Old 15-09-2007, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:56:28 GMT, postandrail wrote:

Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

A lot, hit a tree of about that size at around 25mph. It knocked it ofe
vertical by about 30 degrees. Engine tried to join me the passenger
compartment, shorted the front of the car at impact point by over a foot.

Best bet is to cut down as much as possible, leaving a 6' or so stump.
Then dig around as much as possible then try and winch the stump over to
cut root and dig more. You won't simply winch 'em out of the ground even
the small one. As for the root bowl of a 2' dia beech that'll weigh in at
over a tonne...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 15-09-2007, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"postandrail" wrote in message
Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Well its a beech hedge approx 6ft tall x 50ft long.

I have a handy 2 ft dia beech tree close by, and was thinking of
winching them out part way then cutting the roots as I go.

But how much force would be required, so I can judge on the strength
of the rope I need. The winch is no problem as its 10 tons.

Should I use weebing or steel wire ???

Any advice please.

Remove branches, trench around base. Attach rope or whatever as high up as
you can to get the leverage.

mark

Old 15-09-2007, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 15, 4:56 pm, postandrail wrote:
Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Well its a beech hedge approx 6ft tall x 50ft long.

I have a handy 2 ft dia beech tree close by, and was thinking of
winching them out part way then cutting the roots as I go.

But how much force would be required, so I can judge on the strength
of the rope I need. The winch is no problem as its 10 tons.

Should I use weebing or steel wire ???

Any advice please.

Urm, is this

(a) just 1 tree with a 4" girth, 6'height X 50' length, or

(b) are you saying the hedge is made up of 4" dia beech plants.

If (a) just how old is it.

How dry must the soil around it be buy now? That sort of compaction
over the years means there's no point in trying to winch it out in
one. You'll do more damage to the other tree from which I think you
plan to anchor the winch.

For (a) chop off all the side branches so you have just the full
central trunk left. Try to have no snags (cut clean to trunk as much
as possible), or they'll pester you later.

For either (a) or (b), get digging and be thankful it's not a more
deeply rooting type of tree. Chop those roots, dig out a trench,
under cut as much as possible. Shake the plant , *without doing
yourself an injury, lean the plant towards various directions. see if
it starts to give way.
At this point the winch may be useful, but only to help hold the plant
away from you as you under cut further. The strain on the roots from
the winch will help. Just watch out for spatterings of soil, it's a
pain in the ass to get a dart full in the eyes.

* = Not to be read as 'this bag of nuts may contain nut' but read as I
don't know how fit / agile / experienced you are with the work level
you will need to carry out so am suggesting you gently experiment a
bit first, so you neither pull a muscle, or fall straight over the
trench / tree..

Old 15-09-2007, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:56:28 GMT, postandrail wrote:

Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Best bet is to cut down as much as possible, leaving a 6' or so stump.

That's a mistake many people make. You should try and leave 4 - 5 feet
of trunk remaining, as with the extra length, comes extra leverage.
With just the stump in the ground, the only leverage you will get is by
digging under it, and putting a scaffold pole beneath it.
What many contractors do now is to cut off at the stump, then use a
stump grider to get down another 6" or so.Unless you are digging deeper
than 6", you would never know a tree was there, though I dont like that
method, I think it is far better to get as much as possible out.

Then dig around as much as possible then try and winch the stump over to
cut root and dig more.

Agreed.See this pic of 3 I got out in July:
http://www.maydavid.co.uk/images/treestumps.jpg

Notice the end one is bigger than my spade - none of this was visible
from the surface.
If they were left 4 feet high, it would have been a much easier job to
get them out - as it was, the only option I had was to keep digging, and
cut through any visible roots. It took around 10 hours of hard labour to
do it.
Alan.
Old 15-09-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 19:10:19 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

Best bet is to cut down as much as possible, leaving a 6' or so stump.

That's a mistake many people make. You should try and leave 4 - 5 feet
of trunk remaining,

So 12" 48 to 60 makes all the difference? I suspect you read 6' to mean 6"
not 6 x 12". B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 15-09-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:56:28 GMT, postandrail wrote:

Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Best bet is to cut down as much as possible, leaving a 6' or so stump.

That's a mistake many people make. You should try and leave 4 - 5 feet

so a 6 foot stump (as suggested) would give more leverage

Old 15-09-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ageless wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:56:28 GMT, postandrail wrote:

Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Best bet is to cut down as much as possible, leaving a 6' or so stump.

That's a mistake many people make. You should try and leave 4 - 5 feet

so a 6 foot stump (as suggested) would give more leverage

Sorry, I read it as 'leaving a 6 INCH stump'.
Must remember to read properly!
Alan.

Old 15-09-2007, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" Remove branches, trench around base. Attach rope or whatever as high up
as
you can to get the leverage.

I think chain and a tractor might be required.

Old 15-09-2007, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , postandrail
writes
Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Well its a beech hedge approx 6ft tall x 50ft long.

I have a handy 2 ft dia beech tree close by, and was thinking of
winching them out part way then cutting the roots as I go.

But how much force would be required, so I can judge on the strength
of the rope I need. The winch is no problem as its 10 tons.

Should I use weebing or steel wire ???

Any advice please.

If you have a branch of Jewson near you it may be worth having a look at
http://tinyurl.com/2gz73g - I have not used one but it certainly looks
an interesting piece of kit. An alternative that I have used is a
Tirfor winch hooked up to a metre or more of stump.

--
Robert
Old 15-09-2007, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"postandrail" wrote in message
Anybody any ideas how much force to pull out a 4 inch dia beech tree
???

Well its a beech hedge approx 6ft tall x 50ft long.

I have a handy 2 ft dia beech tree close by, and was thinking of
winching them out part way then cutting the roots as I go.

I pulled out 30 yards of old Laurel hedge a few years ago with a Tirfor
winch. Just left 2 to 3 feet of trunk standing, attached winch, and heave
ho. No great problem, pulled out 5 or 6 stumps each evening for my daily
exercise. Many were over 6 inches dia they all came out.

Mike

Old 16-09-2007, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sorry I did not mean to say Tirfor winch, but I ment the stump winch.

I've been on there web site and it does not say much about it, and
more importantly how much it would be to buy.

It appears only Jewson have them for hire.

Just how does it clamp to the stump, and how much stump do you need
sticking out the ground.
Old 16-09-2007, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I cannot quite see, but how do you attach the Tirfor winch to the
stump ??

I have a short length of chain with a shackle on both ends. One shackle
attaches to the winch cable, I loop the chain back through the other to form
a noose that goes around the stump. As I winch the noose tightens, picking a
spot on the stump just before a branch helps, but my chain will grip a
straight stump most of the time. On a couple of really tough straight ones I
had to whack in a few big nails to give the chain something to grip.

Bye the way, try to use a webbing strop around the tree you are anchoring
the winch to, it saves a lot of damage to the tree. Also don't allow anyone
to stand near the winch cable, with all the force built up it can fly off
quite violently when the chain slips.

Mike